CD144014 - 1/144 C-124 Globemaster

Okay, I guess I'm in for this as well!  Stop it Kursad!  You've single-handedly ruined my modeling budget for the year.  LOL!

And while your at it, please add all the state ANG names to this sheet as well. Some states had names fully spelled out (i.e. most) and others just had abbreviations (N.H.).  

30004(NH)C-124C.jpg

Edited by Dutch

Awesome! I'll add this to my growing list of 144th decals I need yo get from you. Any I sight into the markings you'll put on this sheet? I'm assuming you'll cover both C-124A and C-124C?

Fine, I'm in,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!

Normally, I have to buy decals for the kits I have, now I'm in need of kits for the decals I've ordered!

Kursad, Obviously your business model is working so keep up the good work!

2 hours ago, Kingoalie said:

Any I sight into the markings you'll put on this sheet? I'm assuming you'll cover both C-124A and C-124C?

Well, the ANG markings are fairly simple to do and I think it is safe to say that I will have at least a few of those. There are quite a few that could be included.

Some obnoxious people managed to zap this one with a kangaroo. 😉

14222344690_c5d8c89200_b.jpg

But what I am really interested are the earlier, more colorful markings as seen on 1st, 2nd and 3rd (see below) Strategic Support Squadrons during the early 1950s,  at least one SAC example; and some Troop Carrier squadrons. 7th, 52nd, 53rd, 54th and 14th TCS each seem to have very nice, unique markings. I have been researching the subject for the last couple of weeks and found enough research material for some of them. We'll see which ones I can include.

8446511312_87ba7fa67c_c.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Kursad, I have a color photo book of the USAF during the Fifties with some great C-124 pics.  Do you want me to lend that one to you along with the B-36 kit & stuff? R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
spelling
43 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, I have a color photo book of the USAF during the Fifties with some great C-124 pics.  Do you want me to lend that one to you along with the B-36 kit & stuff? R/ Dutch

If it is the "USAF Plus Fifteen" by Menard, I have it as well. if it is something else, I could definitely use it. Thanks!

Once again, the great classic "Strategic Air Command" comes to the rescue.   Great sequence in the movie where they are packing up the Wing and moving it from MacDill to Yokota.   Starts around the 1:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmyuMNOugM

And I'm so jacked about this news.   I have both Roden kits and really need some great decals so I'm in for two sheets.  This year is expensive for me thanks to Kursad!   Keep it up though.  Can't wait for all the new releases in Micron Scale.  Maybe in the future when you get sort of caught up you can do some B-29 decals or some C-123 or C-119 decals in 1/144.

Edited by Drifterdon
2 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Kursad, will you be providing cockpit window decals on this sheet? 

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Any 1/144 sheet that I will be doing in the future will have cockpit window decals - just like the B-52H and EC-121 that were out this month. 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, KursadA said:

If it is the "USAF Plus Fifteen" by Menard, I have it as well. if it is something else, I could definitely use it. Thanks!

@Kursad, Oops, sorry!  I didn't see this before I closed the box. Check out the thumbdrive for any new pics you may not already have. R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I wonder if the white top scheme was applied at the museum, though - was this scheme used during the Old Shakey's service?

I received the Roden kit yesterday and really liked it. I will be doing a sheet for the C-133 when it appears, too. 

About 20 years ago we took Dad to the USAF Museum.  When he saw the 124 on display, he lit up like he found an old lost friend.  Well, he actually did.  He said that he spent many hours flying in that plane on display.  He was a Loadmaster.  If the sheet includes this aircraft, I'm in!!

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Hooker169:  Right on brother!  Where do you get these gems?

Believe it or not Dutch, I find a bunch of them on Facebook. I’ll poke around searching for specific squadrons and some guys pics will standout. So I’ll go to his page and browse pics and run across some obscure gems.

Monday While I was searching C-124’s from Pease, I stumbled upon a cool pic that linked to a guys Flickr page. It was a picture diary of a guys career from AirForce tech school to deploying via Pease to southeast Asia during Vietnam. Absolutely fascinating!!

C-97, NH ANG, from cockpit, landing at Pease AFB, NH, 1966-67

This is one of the pics that I mentioned caught my attention, Dutch. It's actually a C-97 landing at Pease. On the right you can see B-52D's and KC-135A's on the ramp.

Also, check out the smoke haze hanging over the numbers, something with old water injected J57's just took off me thinks!

Kursad,

Do you have a copy of the book: Douglas C-124 Globemaster II - Air Force Legends Number 206 by Ginter?  I can lend you mine.

I also have a small monograph on the C-124, C-119, C-160 Transall, DHC-5 Buffalo, & An-2.  It includes B&W photos and side views.

206.jpg

On 6/26/2018 at 10:33 AM, KursadA said:

I wonder if the white top scheme was applied at the museum, though - was this scheme used during the Old Shakey's service?

I received the Roden kit yesterday and really liked it. I will be doing a sheet for the C-133 when it appears, too. 

My copy of "Warplanes of the World" by JWR Taylor (1966) contains a B&W photo of a C-124C in MATS/Pacific markings with the white top. It looks pretty much like the Hill Museum photo above except without the arctic markings. I don't have the Ginter book, but I'd be shocked if it didn't also contain some photos of in-service C-124s with white tops.

Also, for what it's worth, the Hill Museum is not far from me. I don't suspect photos of the museum bird would be of any use in decal sheet design, but if for some strange reason you want any, I'd be willing to take them.

Edited by David Fifer
13 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad,

Do you have a copy of the book: Douglas C-124 Globemaster II - Air Force Legends Number 206 by Ginter?  I can lend you mine.

I also have a small monograph on the C-124, C-119, C-160 Transall, DHC-5 Buffalo, & An-2.  It includes B&W photos and side views.

206.jpg

Hi Dutch - thanks for the offer, I have both of them. That second monograph is kind of a gem - that's where I got  the ideas for the earlier C-124 markings.