Minicraft 1/144 DC-6B Conversion to Canadair North Star C5

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

I am contemplating converting a Minicraft 1/144 DC-6B into a Canadair North Star C5.  Other than the antennae fit, different under fuselage scoop and RCAF decals, are there any other dimensional changes required?

R/

Dutch

Dutch, the North Star was a very unique beast. Built by Canadair, it was a hybrid of a few different aircraft. here is a description of the changes from Wikipedia:

More than just an engine swap, the North Star had the Douglas DC-6 nose, landing gear and fuselage shortened by 80 in (2 metres), DC-4 empennage, rear fuselage, flaps and wing tips, C-54 middle fuselage sections, wing centre- and outer-wing panels, cabin pressurisation, a standardised cockpit layout and a different electrical system.

To do a proper North Star, you need a DC-4 and DC-6 model with the merlins, or in your case for the C-5, just a DC-4 and DC-6 kit.

Sean

Sean, thanks, but I think I read that ithe Wikipedia information is accurate for the C4 versions. The C5 actually used the DC-6 as its basis. I will keep resesrching. Does anyone have Larry Milberry's North Star book to check for me? I sold mine years ago. R/ Dutch 

To make a C-5 out of a 1/144 DC-6; shorten the fuselage 16mm in front of the wing and 8.5mm behind the wing.   that's all, everything else is the same.

Dsc04955_zps4140702f.jpg

I did some extra work on the cowl flaps and hollowed out the oil cooling scoops and stuff.  CanMilair decals

DSC04459.jpg

Dsc04952_zps46828ae1.jpg

Edited by Snowbird3a

@Snowbird3A: 

Thank you sir!  I knew it would be pretty easy.  Thank you for the how to pics as well.  Beautiful build.  I am just waiting for Bill @ CanMilAir to respond to my request for decals as he has shut down that part of his website once again.  

@southwestforests: Yes, double zig-zag lightning bolts are retro cool.

R/

Dutch 

• 3 weeks later...

So, as noted on his website, I sent Mr. William Burns an email with the types and qty of CanMilAir decals I am requesting and have heard nothing back.  Is this usual from CanMilAir?  When he gets backed up, how long is the wait until he clears the backlog?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some decals from him on March 28th of this year and he acknowledged the order that day but I have heard nothing from him since so not sure what is happening.....

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, according to the CanMilAir 1/144 RCAF model website link, the Minicraft DC-4/C-54 will build into a C.5.  For the Minicraft DC-6/C-118 it recommends the following alterations: "DC-6B will need to have fuselage shortened by removing 16.3mm just ahead of the wing root and 8.5mm behind it. Tail fin needs to be shortened 2mm and each stabilizer by 7.5mm. Windows need to be altered. Refer to FSM March 1993 for a conversion in 1/72 scale."

The DC-6 is a better starting point, due to the engines used.  If you use a Minicraft DC-4, there is a ton of engine conversion to do. And due to a difference in wing mounting, kit-bashing a DC-4 with a DC-6 is even harder.

For a Canadair C5, start with a DC-6, full stop.

Tony

I think Bill is out of the decal business now. Only printing full size aircraft markings now. Which is too bad..wanted to do a Cosmopolitan. As for the North Star, another option is the Revell C-54 in 1/72 with a Belcher Bits conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, good & bad news!  I fear that my June order with CanMilAir will not be printed.  However, I was able to secure the CanMilAir 1/144 CC-106 Yukon sheet #310 from ebay for a decent price.  I think that I may well be able to adapt the Yukon markings to the North Star C5.  I do not have RCAF serials in this scale, but may be able to use my RAF black serials as "close enough."  I also found two sets of the old Microscale #14-129 B-25 Mitchell sheet for the engine scallops.  I will keep you posted when I start construction and post my "in progress" photos.

R/ Dutch

• 4 years later...
39 minutes ago, Scott Banks said:

I'm using the Minicraft 1/144th DC-4B with resin Merlins by Dana A Kopher, Aeroclub props and Trans Canada Airlines decals from

Vintage Flyer Decals 

Classic North Star scheme. Carry on!