I'm so glad this movie has been made, from what it looks like on the trailer, it's not just going to be the Apollo 11 landing. I didn't see any Korean War stuff in there. It had his Gemini flight also along with the LLRV crash. I have read the book, and it was fantastic. Just hope they don't over do it. Can't wait, exciting 👍

On 7/1/2018 at 7:02 AM, crackerjazz said:

Looking forward to it, thanks for sharing.   Makes you want to work on space models again.

It did actually! I saw the trailer a few weeks back when it first came out and was delving back into Apollo and Shuttle models right after!

• 3 months later...

This movie is fantastic. Ryan Gosling is great as Neil Armstrong. The movie is well made, the music has that old doco feel. The real footage and dialogue makes it great. Not much CGI which is a good thing. Mainly a first hand perspective from Neil. Just all round great. The big deal about the flag raising being left out. It would not be necessary for the feel of the movie at that point of the emotional story telling. GO OUT AND SEE IT NOW

I thought it was coming out later in the year so when you posted that you saw it I had to look it up.   Was able to convince my wife to see it with me last night.  Powerful acting - highly recommended.   I don't know what they did to make everything look like the 60's -- not just the props -- can't put my finger on it but it's remarkable.   And it has to be seen on the big screen because of the sounds such as creaking metal during flights/launches like everything's gonna come apart.  If that's really how it feels in a spacecraft I wouldn't want to sit in one.    I really watched the movie for the LLRV scenes -- and was in LLRV heaven -  all 5 seconds of it  :  (     If it was CG it was very convincing -- no trace at all that it was fake.  All the spacecraft seemed very realistic.   I'm not sure if they were real footages -- they didn't seem to be.   Maybe they used large scale models?   Wanted more and slower shots of them, though.   

You have to see it in IMAX.  Saw it Sunday and it was awesome. I had mentioned above that

my grandson was an extra in the movie, but I guess he got left on the cutting room floor.

Didn't see him at all.

Jerry

I just saw it in IMAX at a matinee. My thoughts:

1. Holy crap. $18 for a matinee???

2. There were maybe 15 people in a theater that probably holds 500

3. I’m afraid being such a space buff/geek kinda ruined it for me. Hard to overlook many of the dramatizations of the “space” scenes. 

4. Acting was superb. 

5. Was Buzz really that big of a jerk?  He is portrayed as incredibly insensitive and blunt. 

6. Acting was superb. 

7. Not sure what I thought of the ending. No spoilers...

I still have not had a chance to see it but hope too soon. I'm still cautiously optimistic. As for Buzz, I'd read things here and there that he was somewhat a jerk, but not like in a jerk to be a jerk kind of way, but more in narrow focus and not too concerned with how he said what he wanted to say. That CAN be a good thing at times because it leaves little doubt where the person stands. He also was a bit of a drinker, at least later in life. I assume that was somewhat the same during his career as well.

Bill 

Just saw it today in IMAX.  Some observations:

- Technical scenes (launches, in space, on the moon):  Extremely well done.  One tiny nitpick:  They're firmly planted on the moon, and then Aldrin calls out "contact light".  The sensors were on the tips of the LM pad probes, so contact was made before the LM pads were on the surface.

- Agree that Buzz seemed portrayed to be too much of a jerk.

- Portrayal of Armstrong made him seem (to me at least) a borderline manic depressive.  I know he was very reserved, but at times it seemed like he (Armstrong) didn't even want to be there.  I know that hearing the actual recording of when the LM undocked for descent, you hear Armstrong call out "the Eagle has wings" and you can detect an excitement in his voice.  In the movie it was said in as bland a voice as you can imagine.  Its been said that Armstrong was most proud of flying the LM during descent, more so than the actual landing.  I can't imagine there weren't SOME times that Armstrong felt that he was in a "Right Stuff" moment, but it was virtually never communicated in the movie.

- Likewise, was his then-wife angry almost all the time like portrayed?  They showed her reaction when Armstrong got in trouble on Gemini 8, but showed NOTHING of her when they landed on the moon, or when he took the first step.  Did she never have a "They did it!" moment?

- No problem with not showing the flag raising, but almost totally negative portrayal of American attitudes towards the achievement.  It took showing interviews of people from foreign countries to say how excited they were about what was accomplished.

• 1 month later...

I read the book when it was first published.  I re-read it again a week before I went to see this movie that I was so looking forward to.  When the end credits began to roll, my initial reaction was one of disappointment.  It’s just my opinion, but I never felt that the movie did proper justice to Neil Armstrong the person.  And to a lesser degree, Neil Armstrong the pilot.  So much was missing in the film.  However, I thought that the cinematography and acting was for the most part, very good.  However the portrayal of Ed White was ackwardly restrained.  According to the astronauts who knew him back in the day, Ed White had an incredibly out-going personality; a very likable guy.  I didn’t get that feeling in the movie.  And with regards to Aldrin, the book delved very deeply into the personal character of Aldrin.  After reading it, I was left with the impression that Aldrin was not someone I would have care much about in person.  Apparently most of the other pilots at NASA felt the same way.  It speaks volumes into Armstrong’s character that he agreed to allow Aldrin to fly with him.  Slayton gave Armstrong two opportunities to bounce Aldrin from his crew.  But Armstrong knew that Aldrin was solid in the LM and that’s all he cared about.  The mission came first.  

• 4 months later...

I have my reservations about this movie and I have to see it twice to get my final opinion.  When I left the theater I have bad taste in my mouth, so I have to wait for the Blue Ray to acknowledge what I was thinking. Read the book forget about the movie.  
Special Effects: Were really good, but noting out of the ordinary in these days. Well capture the equipment of the era and very realistic for the big screen.  
Acting: really good acting, but they don’t capture the personality of Armstrong of his wife at that point in time.  The Apollo wives suffer a lot with the carrier of their husbands choose. Some lost them because they die, some for other women, some endurance terrible loneliness, some became alcoholic and some commit suicide. But none of them challenge NASA higher management and threat them to go to the press because they know the carrier of their husbands will end immediately. The representation of the woman that I saw was politically correct for the audience of today, but it wasn’t the reality of that era.
Other weird thing is that Armstrong almost never smile or joke in this movie. There are tons of movies from this era that capture him smiling and joking. In this movie he is an afraid and angry man.
Getting the Armstrong, “the pilot” was completely wrong. In the first minutes of the movie the give you the impression that Joe Walker had the intention to washout him from the X15 program because he don’t have the skills, “Go to Gemini it will be a better place for you, before you crash my X15”….. Weird that he was the first man to command a ship to land in other celestial body.
All the time they gave you the impression that Armstrong was afraid and he archive to be in the moon landing mission buy luck. The gave the impression that he was responsible for the thruster failure of the Gemini and but because it was good to the press, Gemini 8 was “declare” a success. That wasn’t the case.
The aftermath of the crash of LLT don’t happened the way that the movie portrait. Armstrong never complaint angry to his bosses and blame them for the Apollo 1 accident or the LLTV crash. There was not a confident crisis in his home. All the books that I had read all the astronauts describe his aptitude after the crash in his office and how cool was him with this.  These moment define his character.   
The movie portrait every “liftoffs” like kaos, and it don’t illustrate the training that his people endurance. The moon landing was down play to portrait a person that lands by luck and not by skills.
History: This was a millennia wet fantasy to downplay one of the most historic achievement of the mankind. This movie was address to support the anti-Apollo people. Prove of thus was a well-illustrated emphasis in the scene of the elaboration of the “killed crew message” and the critics of the people for the spending of Apollo. That only appear with tat force after Apollo 11 landing.
The final scene portrait Armstrong and Janet like broken marriage after his historic flight in 1969, if this was true why the wait until 1994 to file the divorce papers?

Armstrong family lost: I am really mad with the way that they explode the dead of Keren, this was very personal for this family, as is personal for any parent that experience that kind of loss. They keep this creepy feeling all the movie, with the ghost scene, then with the bracelet and the moon scene. Also I don’t recollect, but I have to do my research, the scene of him telling to their songs “I am going to die in this mission.” And also the angry Janet before Neal departure for the Apollo 11 mission looks like more Hollywood drama.
Armstrong was a great person with the same defects of any human, he was very reserved in his personal life, but he had the ability to transforms himself when he was in stage, talking about flight and space exploration. He had the ability to inspire people for generations. Maybe Armstrong was a really good actor that deserve an Oscar for his public performance.  Neil Armstrong personality, was very similar to Gus Grissom and John Young, mans of a few words, but when they spoke everybody hear them.   
Don’t waste your time with this movie, read the book and learn something real.