Mr Mark Setter/Softer

Hi all,

Looking at replacing my Micro Set/Sol as it  doesn't seem to do the job anymore(do these have a shelf life?). Been looking at the Mr Mark offerings but notice there are two versions the original and neo, what is the difference between them?

Also how well do they react with Cartograph/Micro Scale decals, seen reports/opinions that it's designed for the heavy kit decals like Hasegawa/Tamiya.

TIA

Yes from my experience Micro Sol and Micro set do have a shelf life. The solutions seem to loose their effectiveness over time. I have heard guys just add vinegar to the Sol to reactivate it. That is what gives you the vinegar smell.

I used Mr. Mark softer on any of the Hasagawa or Tamiya decals and it works like a champ. I don't have access to Mr. Mark Setter in my city. I only recently started to use the Tamiya Mark Setter and did not have any problems.

I used Mr. Mark Softer on some Superscale decals and it ate them up. You may want to test it on a decal you don't care about. Micro Set and Micro Sol seem to work on any decal that is not Hasegawa or Tamiya or similar producers.

My experience with using Mr Mark Softer using most ultra-thin aftermarket decals is that it is too "hot" and causes extensive wrinkling. Whether the wrinkling is permanent or not has been a total crapshoot for me, so I don't use the product on ultra-thin decals. However, it's definitely the best decal solvent for thick Tamiya and Hasegawa decals by far.

I save the Mr Mark stuff for the real thick Japanese decals in many of the older Tamiya kits. As other have said, its too hot for Cartograph, Microscale or Superscale decals. I still use Micro Set/Sol, but replace my stock every year or so.

On 6/23/2018 at 1:34 AM, modelingbob said:

My experience with using Mr Mark Softer using most ultra-thin aftermarket decals is that it is too "hot" and causes extensive wrinkling. Whether the wrinkling is permanent or not has been a total crapshoot for me, so I don't use the product on ultra-thin decals. However, it's definitely the best decal solvent for thick Tamiya and Hasegawa decals by far.

Mr Mark Softer works very well with Cartograf and Microscale decals.

Secret is:

First, brush it onto the decal.

The decal will wrinkle.

Then, let the decal alone, do not touch it 6H/12H.

And you will see the former wrinkled decal become a decal litteraly painted on the model.