MIG Crystal Paints

Having trouble this morning.  Trying to spray some MIG Crystal Green on some clear parts on my UH-1H and can't seem to get it to spray very well.  Thinning 1:1 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, using a .25 mm tip on my Paasche Talon airbrush, starting at 12-15 psi.  Keep increasing the pressure to get something to flow, then it really just makes a mess.  This is my first time spraying this paint.  My ideas are a 1. larger tip.  AB came with .38 mm tip.  2. Thin it with something else. I dont have the MIG thinner, and don't mind buying it, but it's gonna take a week or so to get it.  3. Thin it even more with the Mr C LT.  Anyone with experience spraying this stuff that can lead me to the promised land? 

Mig Crystal green is a water based acrylic paint. I don't think you should be using Mr Color Leveling thinner. I would suggest getting some of MIGs thinner for its water based acrylic paints

On 6/24/2018 at 12:25 AM, Mstor said:

Mig Crystal green is a water based acrylic paint. I don't think you should be using Mr Color Leveling thinner. I would suggest getting some of MIGs thinner for its water based acrylic paints

16 hours ago, RichardL said:

Why?  Mig paint is not like Gunze or Tamiya.

Thank you gentlemen!  I was not aware that it was a water-based acrylic.  I made a bad assumption.  I will try the MIG thinner.

40 minutes ago, JesusNut said:

Thank you gentlemen!  I was not aware that it was a water-based acrylic.  I made a bad assumption.  I will try the MIG thinner.

The nature of Tamiya paints often confuses people into thinking that other "acrylic" paints can be thinned using Mr Color Leveling thinner. Tamiya paints are a special case. They are an alcohol based lacquer that will thin with water, though their own alcohol based thinner works better. They will also thin very nicely with lacquer type thinners which includes Mr Color Level thinner. There are technical reasons for this dealing with the chemistry of the paint that I don't have committed to memory.

Paints such as Mig acrylics, Vallejo, AK acrylics are all water based and require their own thinners or water.

I have simplified this information to a great extant and I am sure others can correct me on the details. Suffice it to say that unless the "acrylic" paint you are using is Tamiya, use their own thinners for guaranteed success.

Edited by Mstor
4 hours ago, Mstor said:

The nature of Tamiya paints often confuses people into thinking that other "acrylic" paints can be thinned using Mr Color Leveling thinner. Tamiya paints are a special case. They are an alcohol based lacquer that will thin with water, though their own alcohol based thinner works better. They will also thin very nicely with lacquer type thinners which includes Mr Color Level thinner. There are technical reasons for this dealing with the chemistry of the paint that I don't have committed to memory.

Paints such as Mig acrylics, Vallejo, AK acrylics are all water based and require their own thinners or water.

I have simplified this information to a great extant and I am sure others can correct me on the details. Suffice it to say that unless the "acrylic" paint you are using is Tamiya, use their own thinners for guaranteed success.

Thanks for the info Mstor.  I thought I had read somewhere on here where someone used Mr C LT with it, but I am obviously mistaken.  Of course, I have read a lot on here and probably got confused on what I saw.  I am going to pick up a bottle of their thinner and then just buy the brand's thinner as I try different manufacturer's paints.