Revell Flying Saucer Model Recalled

52 minutes ago, jeffryfontaine said:

@Don, I thought the Squadron kit was the same as the Revell Germany kit but that is not the case.  Two completely different kits and the Squadron kit is about two to three times larger than the Revell Germany kit. 

Good to know. Thank you! I'll still grab the Squadron one as its cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

I have chuckled and waffled over this release since Squadron announced it.  Now seeing what RoG has done, I have one of Squadron's Hannebu II on order, 20% off this weekend.  I don't think I will unwrap it and keep it in the stash, this may be one of those kits that go out of production for awhile and all of a sudden everyone wants one.  $51.19 plus shipping this weekend, I love this Luftwaffe 46/50 stuff, my favorite is the Fw Triebflugel and it is coming in 1/48 injected plastic too!

John

4 hours ago, JackMan said:

This will teach Revell.

They wouldn't have had this fiasco if only they'd done the right thing and downsized their fantastic 1/48 Rafale M into 1/72.  

:monkeydance:

Yes they would have, because the fantastic Rafale M is being released as a C in 1/48! 👹

John

Didn't von Braun once comment that "they" gave the Germans

the technology for rockets, as he pointed up towards the sky.

Seems I remember something weird like that.---John

Edited by john53
incorrect data

"...And historians are pissed."  

It's safe to say that the majority of historians - people paid to research, write, or teach history - are not aware that Revell still exists.  Most would be surprised to learn that anyone still builds plastic model kits.

I also can't take seriously any complaints that Revell is "self-censoring" or pandering to public pressure.  Most of the model kit industry presents a fairly narrow view of World War II, anyway.  Military corpses, grievously wounded, and mass murder of civilians aside (which is a big aside), Dragon's vast collection of 1/35 soldiers really should include "Wehrmacht Child Soldiers, 1945" or "Old men herded into the Wehrmacht, 1944."  If you want to show the real Third Reich at war, you need many more kits of horse-drawn hardware, to outnumber all the panzers, halftracks, and trucks.  Instead of more kits of late-war, seldom-produced tanks or Luftwaffe planes, somebody should make a model of a smashed synthetic fuel plant - that does more to explain the war's outcome.  

"But kits of dead or badly wounded soldiers would be tasteless, and horses are hardly as interesting as Tiger tanks," you say.  Well, which will you have it?  "Historically accurate" or not?  As it is now the catalog of many hobby companies hardly presents a complete picture of the war to impressionable youth, (if ever the latter miraculously started to build models.)  

Edited by Fishwelding

You're right, and as much as "those people" want to bury the past it

will never go away, watch the news, history DOES repeat itself. No

mass murders or genocide? What did Eisenhower say when he forced

those people to view Dachau? Someone is going to say this never

happened? Oh well back to my modelling, we're human and we run on

emotions, NEVER gonna change. Enough philosophy, back to putty and sand!---John

thanks to Darkest Hour and partially Bouncing Orchestra I quickly learned to HATE the Tiger and found myself home with the Stug, then when at spawn there were no Stug I raged around the map sporting the PIV, fell in love with Panther's long range ability but hated the forced campish nature of that thing.

Sadly Jolly Rodgers and now the GG server become a joke of themselves, to much one-sided crap started to go off, devs buffed the Firefly rate of fire, devs buffed the spongy features of allied tanks,  oddly enough all armor related problems in that mod ALWAYS afflicted the axis side, not happy map makers kept on pushing their one-sided flavor to the point that one grunt in a cap zone weighted more than 2 axis tank commanders and a single artillery officer,  nevertheless after various nerfs and ef ups I found a new home with the JPIV and lately with the Hetzer but it was already too late and got myself intentionally banned from that server.

Tiger is like an F-15 for me, I'll build one for the sake of building it and that's it.

Just lying I actually have to build 16 F-15 if not more thanks to Ace Combat and their camouflage variety, a G1 Skywarp is also included cause I don't like the Masterpiece series

Also a couple of Tiger I due Girls und Panzer and Call of Duty United Offensive CuF custom base assault server nostalgia

Luigi

Edited by Mizar
2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

There's quite a fascinating analysis of the Allied thinking on fuel production as bombing targets in Masters of the Air by D. Miller. I highly recommend the book.

Good book!

Some free primary sources on the web:  

US Strategic Bombing Survey

And commentary by at least some Luftwaffe vets:  http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/cbo-afa/cbo00.htm.  

3 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

Anyone have a picture of Erich Hartman’s tulip nosed Haunebu II, White 1?  This is the one I will build!🤣🤣

John

That's the style! Honestly the possibilities with models like this are endless. There is no right or wrong...its pure fun and imagination. What about a USAF, RAF, or Soviet Haunebu II built using "captured" German plans and tech? USAF Haunebu's engaging North Korean versions of Soviet supplied Haunebu's over Korea... both built using captured German tech and/or scientists? Or an Imperial Japanese Haunebu II (or Mk. IV or...) as flown by Saburo Sakai built using shared technology supplied by a German Uboat fleeing Europe with "high ranking" German officials and scientists? Were the Apollo missions that landed on the moon really first or were they sent to recover a previously crashed NASA Haunebu Moon Shot to ensure the Soviets didn't recover it first? So many cool ideas and back stories...and its all yours to imagine.  I look forward to letting my imagination run wild with my Haunebu when I get a hankering for a Sci-Fi build :thumbsup:. Its a model...have fun with it.

Regards,

Don