CD144015 - 1/144 B-36 Peacemaker

• 1 month later...

Kursad,

Shapeways 3D printer "click2detail" produces a 1:72 scale NB-36H nose, parts set and clear windscreen (Ouch! Not cheap!) as well as 1:144 scale nose (currently not for sale) 1:144 scale parts set and 1:144 clear windscreen.  He also offers: 1:144 XB-36 nose, clear cockpit canopy & nose, single tire main u/c units, and also tracked u/c.

Here is his 1:72 Monogram B-36 parts page.

K/r,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad,

Shapeways 3D printer "click2detail" produces a 1:72 scale NB-36H nose, parts set and clear windscreen (Ouch! Not cheap!) as well as 1:144 scale nose (currently not for sale) 1:144 scale parts set and 1:144 clear windscreen.  He also offers: 1:144 XB-36 nose, clear cockpit canopy & nose, single tire main u/c units, and also tracked u/c.

Yes, the NB-36H markings are included with these parts in mind. 

11 minutes ago, Gator52 said:

For what it's worth, Roden included a mystery part that looks a lot like an NB-36 windscreen:

Yes, there is that; too - in one way or another, it will be possible to build this fascinating variant with proper decals soon. I think Roden will eventually add a sprue and release the NB-36H version just like they did the C-133 with the ICBM.

This message from Chris at C2D 3D printing.

"I suggest ordering directly from my click2detail website though. Different printing processes, better part quality, and much lower prices than through Shapeways."

1:144 NB-36H Conversion Set  $35.99

This conversion set contains parts to model the NB-36H aircraft which carried a nuclear reactor aloft during test flights from 1955 to 1957. This version is distinguished by its one-of-a-kind radiation-shielded cockpit. Contains new nose section, clear windshield, tailcone, and intake vents unique to this one-of-a-kind aircraft. Designed to fit the Hobby Craft Kit.

I have been a completely satisfied customer on a few of his other parts. and anxiously wait for his coming releases. 

K/r, Dutch

Trivia time: after the NB-36 program the entire airframe was radioactive.  GD (Convair) cut up the airframe and buried it at the north end of the base.  Plug these coordinates into google maps (satellite view) and look for a big rockpile.  The remains are buried under that pile.  When I worked on F-35 we were in a building near there, the unofficial name was the "glow-in-the-dark" building....  :woot.gif:  :woot.gif:  :woot.gif:  :woot.gif:

32°47'04.2"N 97°26'41.9"W     or decimal    32.784509, -97.444981

So, on page 80 of the booklet "Convair B-36 Peacemaker: A Photo Chronicle" by Meyers K. Jacobsen, it states that there are rumors it was scrapped and buried in a mine shaft in Nevada. See photo caption below. I suspect that the reactor compartment may have been buried in Nevada, but I believe you that the airframe was scrapped on site. 

20211210_171726.thumb.jpg.9cb78fd83498565db8666f59e3488d6e.jpg

You'd think the DOE/AEC would know where every reactor is located, in or out of commission. They may not know where every shred of nuclear material is, but a whole reactor is difficult to hide.

Edited by Dutch
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks, thank you for your interest in this sheet. I had some quality control issues with the printed instructions, so there will be a delay in shipping these: I expect to ship everything in the first week of February. I promise it will be worth the wait - thanks for your patience.