I am struggling to get decent bench time due to laziness haha but am enjoying the build. I am doing quite a bit of scratch building for the interior as there is a few areas devoid of any detail (cabin interior roof/overhead console) but nevertheless a great kit. I have also decided to make the walls behind the gunners seat without the soundproofing, still not sure if I am happy with the results but when paint is on I will make the decision

I have also raised the height of the center instrument panel on the floor between the pilots as it sits way too low, in turn affecting the height and look of the Instrument panel.

I am finding the Eduard sets great, I just wish they had made their excellent cargo floor a bit wider so it meets the edge of the fuselage flush.

The biggest issue I am going to face with this kit and some may disagree here, is that the rear cabin wall is slightly too far forward. this is turn makes the sliding cabin doors not sit back far enough, affecting the whole iconic look of the 'Huey' to me. I will need to shave off some of the fuselage just in front of the fuel cap, set the rear walls back to the correct position and that should hopefully fix the issue..

Not sure on the unit depicted yet but will be Vietnam/UH-1H/US Army configuration

more pics soon

Edited by UH-1Mad

I had the cargo floor painted in Dark Gull Grey but then realised after that I hadn't filled the holes in the floor where I wouldn't' be using seats. So had to sand and fill. that was a pain...

I have also raised the height of the center console with some scrap evergreen strips.

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

map case sits nice and flush now;

IMG_1305.jpg

time for a respray..

IMG_1972.jpg

Edited by UH-1Mad
4 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

I have also raised the height of the center console with some scrap evergreen strips.

Have you tested to see if the raised console is going to raise the IP and interfere with the nose being placed?  When I test fitted mine without raising the height, it was a tight fit and may need some adjustment to get the nose to fit.  With that being said, I love what you have done.  I think the center console looks much better with it raised.

10 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Have you tested to see if the raised console is going to raise the IP and interfere with the nose being placed?  When I test fitted mine without raising the height, it was a tight fit and may need some adjustment to get the nose to fit.  With that being said, I love what you have done.  I think the center console looks much better with it raised.

No I haven't. It was definitely on my mind when I did it but I just hope I can work around it as I know there will be an issue when it comes to that, she'll be right mate! Fingers crossed haha

It's all trial and error at this stage, as with the cargo floor some things will need re-doing but I don't mind, just happy to be back building and my favorite subject at that!

thanks

6 hours ago, Rotorman said:

repainted  floor??why?  Are you preshading on this one?

I had forgot to fill the holes in the cargo floor when I originally painted it and they stuck out like dogs balls.. So once I had them filled where I wont be using seats,  I had to do some pretty aggessive sanding to get them seamless to the best I could, hence the pic with most of the paint off! 

I would like to pre-shade before I repaint it but not sure if I have the skills. Quite new to the airbrush so might just paint and then weather/dirty a little bit..

Edited by UH-1Mad
13 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

I would like to pre-shade before I repaint it but not sure if I have the skills. Quite new to the airbrush so might just paint and then weather/dirty a little bit..

9 hours ago, Rotorman said:

Go for it..no pain no gain..

Starts with just the main lines..straighline on cockpit floor.. small steps my friend.. good luck. U can do it..

Oliver

Take a look at Oliver's mini-tutorial on my WIP page linked in my signature below.  I played around with it some and while my skills need improving, I think it is something I can get.

13 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

No I haven't. It was definitely on my mind when I did it but I just hope I can work around it as I know there will be an issue when it comes to that, she'll be right mate! Fingers crossed haha

It's all trial and error at this stage, as with the cargo floor some things will need re-doing but I don't mind, just happy to be back building and my favorite subject at that!

thanks

I completely understand.  And I agree.  Once you get it worked out, it will look great!

• 3 weeks later...

Please excuse my being late for this show.  Seats: I haven't kept up with ur build; but, the pilot and copilot seats were NOT mirror images as kit has them.  Kit is correct for Left seat.  Inside armor for Right seat WAS different!!  It was slightly wider and the bottom was stand-off to provide better protection for arm on collective.  Guess/hope you already know this??

Kittyhawk is. not perfect for sure; but, by FAR, the best kit of a Huey in ANY scale!!

(When I was an Aircraft Commander, AC, I flew in the left seat for Day/VFR conditions.  At night, I flew the Right seat for instruments and access to Landing and Search lights only on right collective.)

Looking forward to ur build!!

Demon 68

Bo

• 2 months later...

So life has been kicking my butt at the moment so very little progress!

What I have been working on is in my opinion the biggest draw-back of the kit to me. When the sliding cabin doors are in the open position, they do not sit back far enough. If they were to sit back to where they should be the result is this;

IMG-5747.jpg

The only way I could envisage fixing this was to file off the excess fuselage to a more accurate setting so that the cabin doors sit in the correct position. I studied my Huey pics for weeks to come up with the best solution and made the necessary changes.

IMG-3491-Copy.jpg

I had to be extra careful but I think I have it correct now compared with my pics of the real thing. As you can see the top red section is the original section and the below is after filing back to correct position.

Now the doors sit almost where they should, I think they could sit back even a little more but I have taken them back as far as accurately possible.

the result;

IMG-3503.jpg

IMG-3504.jpg

I will now have to position the rear cabin walls back further to accommodate this change but it should work out ok fingers crossed!!

I am also experimenting with cutting some extra strips from the photo-etch to make the cargo floor flush with the edge of the fuselage to make it more realistic. Whether I can make this work or not time will tell;

IMG-3494.jpg

I have also been working on the pilots collective as one of them seemed incomplete compared to the l/h side. I used stretch sprue bent to shape and some stock strips. I used Tamiya masking tape for the throttle grips;

IMG-3522.jpg

IMG-3534.jpg

IMG-3539.jpg

Enjoying the build, great kit but I hope if they do the 1/35 kit they take into consideration some of these notable errors.

Edited by UH-1Mad