Think I've found me a new flight sim

I haven't been big on flight sims since the "golden age" back when Janes and Falcon 4.0 were king.   Based on this trailer, I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby!   Didn't even know they were working on a carrier-based add-on.  Just wish they would have modeled the Super Hornet but it is what it is.  Back in the days of Jane's Super Hornet, I used to spend hours just shooting virtual carrier traps.  It was great fun.   I hope this one delivers, it sure looks promising from the trailer below.  Just shudder to think about what the PC specs will be!

Edited by 11bee

This guy has some video's of flying in this game.  Be aware there is some salty language.    Looks really good but I don't think I an afford a PC with the horsepower to play it.

Ralfidude

Edited by Els
2 hours ago, Thunderchief105 said:

Graphic cards are through the roof right now on their pricing so I won't be upgrading anytime soon for this. Plus I doubt it will be available for a Linux platform anyway.

Because everybody is scooping up the processors to mine bitcoin...

27 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Because everybody is scooping up the processors to mine bitcoin...

I've seen news on this also, several computer builders on YouTube have been using the newer Ryzen APUs for their builds and getting pretty good scores with the different bench marks. Imho seems like a good way to save money on a decent gaming rig.

Edited by Thunderchief105

I’ve been with the Black Sheep since 1999. I taught them CV NATOPS in 2000 in Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 2 Pacific Theater.  Later we took our carrier operations to IL-2 Pacific Fighters. Now, we are putting it to good work with the Hornet in DCS. I’m a retired S-3 Viking Weapon Systems Operator, currently an airline Captain. We have 7 other pilots in the squadron with a Hornet driver on the roster with 2 other Hornet drivers that just fly with us.

The Carrier that comes with the Hornet (Stennis) is an upgrade to the Vinson in DCS World, but NOTHING compared to the super detailed aircraft carrier modules to come on the near horizon, and Heat Bur’s F-14 Tomcat.

Tracy. Aka BSS_Vidar

BSS214.com

Question; what is it that makes those sunrise/sunset carrier deck images so compelling/emotional?
They have been that to me ever since seeing them in Dad's Naval Institute Proceedings magazines way back in the latter half of the previous century.
Actually, a lot of the photography had a strong emotional component.

And a lot of the photography was very good, especially when the contests came around.

Life goes on and I'm enjoying being an adult, and those days had their own hard times, but in a way I miss being a kid with my Dad in the Navy.

11bee, my former co-worker from the Baltimore EA office, Matt "Wags"Wagner is the Executive Producer for this latest game. Wags built the majority of the missions in Jane's F/A-18 and was my right hand man. He's a great guy and very talented, and it's cool to see him continue to push the state of the art.

Been flying the Hornet in DCS since it came out (at the cost of modelling bench time). It’s still early access and doesn’t have the full suite of features available yet (no AMRAAM and LGB capability, unfinished IFF etc) but it’s been a blast to fly. Eagle Dynamics has been pushing updates regularly and the module gets better after each update. 

Learning and performing Case 1 recoveries as well as A/A refueling have been challenging so far but I should be able to get the hang of them soon. 

Mark

Jane's F/A-18 was great, I admit, especially the mission builder part.

I missed playing F-15E but the Hornet game had NAVFLIR missions and the SU-27's or russian shipdefenses were unbeatable.
My entire squadron got whiped out entirely including me.

I always hoped for a similar game, Jane's Desert storm Panavia Tornado.... 

Some F-117 and F-16 missions were cool in USAF's game.

Flying in a Super Hornet didn't gave me superior feeling though...  I still prefer a A-10 or F-16.

On 6/28/2018 at 4:50 PM, CJ Martin said:

11bee, my former co-worker from the Baltimore EA office, Matt "Wags"Wagner is the Executive Producer for this latest game. Wags built the majority of the missions in Jane's F/A-18 and was my right hand man. He's a great guy and very talented, and it's cool to see him continue to push the state of the art.

I remember Matt from the old rec.flight.sim forums.  He was a great guy. Very engaged with the masses (as you were).  Glad to hear that he's still plugging away on flight sims.  One thing I really liked about your sims was the fidelity of the weapons and avionics.  I still think you guys might have pushed the OPSEC boundaries a bit further than you should have :) but it was all good.   

Anyone have feedback on how well DCS replicates the avionics in this sim?  All I saw in the trailers were iron bombs.  No smart weapons or targeting pods. 

I'm pretty stoked to hear that they might be releasing an F-4E sim. That would be very cool.   The Phantom had some weird handling characteristics which I hope they will replicate.  For instance - at high AOA, if a pilot tried to bank with the ailerons, he could go into a flat spin.  The prescribed method was to bank using only the rudder.  Hopefully, quirks like that will be included. 

Currently my PC is apparently nowhere close to being able to run this stuff.  It's 6 years old and still going strong.  Can't upgrade until the current machine dies (if it ever does).   Once it does, i'll be getting a cutting edge rig. In the mean time, I'll be checking out all the cool clips on you tube.   

2 minutes ago, Fishwelding said:

Very cool!  I suppose I'll need take a break from Arma III and Steel Beasts!  

SB was a very good tank sim.  I've still got it on my PC.  Like any good sim, you died quickly if you didn't follow proper tactics.  

Just now, 11bee said:

SB was a very good tank sim.  I've still got it on my PC.  Like any good sim, you died quickly if you didn't follow proper tactics.  

Yea, I'm a hilarious amateur.  Mostly, I'm building my own very simple tactical exercises.  Even then I periodically get mauled.  

In Arma III, I really like flying the helicopters, and occasionally do some infantry kinds of things.  But I think I  have unrealistic expectations about the tanks.  For mechanized war I try to make it do what a good tank sim did in the past, with all the company-team leadership kinds of things, but that's not really what Bohemian Interactive intended.  

DSC always was demanding for computing power so try to get the best system you can afford. For joystick I think Thrustmaster Warthog is most suitable.

My system is Intel Core i7-7700K on Asrock Z270 Extreme MB, 16Gb memory and MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB videocard. OS and the sim are running off SSD and all this delivers decent performance with "high"  settings and 2560 x 1440 screen resolution.

Edited by Helmsman
8 hours ago, Helmsman said:

DSC always was demanding for computing power so try to get the best system you can afford. For joystick I think Thrustmaster Warthog is most suitable.

My system is Intel Core i7-7700K on Asrock Z270 Extreme MB, 16Gb memory and MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 3GB videocard. OS and the sim are running off SSD and all this delivers decent performance with "high"  settings and 2560 x 1440 screen resolution.

Thanks for the info.

Not to be negative, but to get the most out of a sim like that, you'll need to be prepared to spend some money on hardware.

I'd recommend some rudder pedals, and the Logitech (formerly Saitek) G Pro Pedals aren't bad, but cost around $162:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PRO-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B01LYPMTPT/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QQYC91Z9C4ZV35X98H0S

Also, the Thrustmaster Warthog as recommended above, which is around $450:

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-2960720-Hotas-Warthog-Flight/dp/B00371R8P4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530679640&sr=1-3&keywords=thrustmaster+warthog+hotas

And for head-tracking to get better visibility, the TrackIR system for $145:

https://www.amazon.com/TrackIr-Premium-Head-Tracking-Gaming-PC/dp/B0029M6VKA

I have the Suncom F-15 TALON joystick and throttle and haven't used them more than a decade. Does any one still uses them and if so, what kind of modifications has he applied in order to be functional?

I read that you need a good graphics card and someone gives the specs from his computer. I guess my PC wont be able to run the newer simulators - I have a HP xw4600 workstation 64bit.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:09 AM, 11bee said:

Anyone have feedback on how well DCS replicates the avionics in this sim?  All I saw in the trailers were iron bombs.  No smart weapons or targeting pods. 

The Hornet is still in Early Access so quite a bit of the avionics and weapons have not been implemented yet. It is currently sorely missing targeting pods, guided AG ordnance and AMRAAMs. 

Mark