Great Wall Hobby F-15E Strike Eagle 1:48

LuckyModel sent it to me 2 days ago, so I hope to have it soon.

I have got altought GWH's F-15I, what I do believe is exactly the same what is inside the box of E, but maybe there will be some suprise.

Anyway, I am going to make F-15DJ from this Israeli with some nice, colourful camouflage. I don't like Israeli camouflage.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

Anyway, I am going to make F-15DJ from this Israeli with some nice, colourful camouflage. I don't like Israeli camouflage.

I love the colorful F-15J and DJs. Got 3 or 4 Hasegawa DJs and one GWH J (or is it a DJ?) plus a bunch of DXM and some Two Bobs decals. Which camo are you going to do?

Edited by Mstor
14 hours ago, Mstor said:

I love the colorful F-15J and DJs. Got 3 or 4 Hasegawa DJs and one GWH J (or is it a DJ?) plus a bunch of DXM and some Two Bobs decals. Which camo are you going to do?

Well, as far as I know, I able to make proper F-15DJ from parts included in F-15I box - there is everythin needed to make F-15D aircraft there, includind early D cockpit and all sensors. If I am wrong, please correct me.I am going to make this one, I even has got decals:

35007_1519373494.jpg

3 hours ago, Solo said:

Well, as far as I know, I able to make proper F-15DJ from parts included in F-15I box - there is everythin needed to make F-15D aircraft there, includind early D cockpit and all sensors. If I am wrong, please correct me.I am going to make this one, I even has got decals:

I've decided to drive myself insane and do this one first:

29510917_10213033698731727_678837297872896000_o

16 minutes ago, Solo said:

What about decals for such one?

I have enough J and DJ sets to be able to fudge together the aircraft numbers, The rest is stuff that comes with the kit or any of the aftermarket sets by DXM. DXM used to make a set of just the aircraft numbers for the F-15s so that one could build any airframe. I've been keeping my eye open for one as they are no longer in production. I also have a couple of the Two Bobs decals that have extra numbers.

Here's a link to a pic of the DXM numbers sheet from their blog. If anyone has one they don't want I'll gladly take it off their hands.

http://www.dxmdecal.com/2011/03/new-released-148-jasdf-f-15jdj.html

Edited by Mstor
Added addition info
  • 2 weeks later...

So I just opened my kit.....

The left rear circut breaker panel is wrong. They have the ICMS nodule molded on which isnt on the Strikes ( easily removed). Wheels are wrong(unless these are the newer style). The JFS is the same that is on all their kits (drill out). Panel lines on the CFT's that need to be puttied over. They have the shimmy damper on the front landing gear which isnt on the revell o gram kits. But overall its nice.

47 minutes ago, adamitri said:

So I just opened my kit.....

The left rear circut breaker panel is wrong. They have the ICMS nodule molded on which isnt on the Strikes ( easily removed). Wheels are wrong(unless these are the newer style). The JFS is the same that is on all their kits (drill out). Panel lines on the CFT's that need to be puttied over. They have the shimmy damper on the front landing gear which isnt on the revell o gram kits. But overall its nice.

Sounds like the cockpit can be fixed with a small MFD in the place of the ICMS? If I am reading this correctly and know what the ICMS is?

Mine should be delivered today.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

The ICMS nodule is the little pimple on the top of the nose area right before the radome. The only way i can think of fixing the circuit breaker area is to replace it with the one from black box cockpit.  

2 hours ago, adamitri said:

The ICMS nodule is the little pimple on the top of the nose area right before the radome. The only way i can think of fixing the circuit breaker area is to replace it with the one from black box cockpit.  

Doh! I knew that...not. I did see that on the F-15I as well. Nothing to taking it off. What I was referring to is the panel on the lower right side of the WSO's cockpit panel. I'm sure I'll find more with Jake's book once3 I get to work on it.

My kit is in hand....well almost...... it is in the house and in the workshop. I hope to look at it in a couple days (working back to back 12 hrs today and tomorrow).

8 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Doh! I knew that...not. I did see that on the F-15I as well. Nothing to taking it off. What I was referring to is the panel on the lower right side of the WSO's cockpit panel. I'm sure I'll find more with Jake's book once3 I get to work on it.

My kit is in hand....well almost...... it is in the house and in the workshop. I hope to look at it in a couple days (working back to back 12 hrs today and tomorrow).

That WSO panel you are referring to is the UFC (up front controller), which is ironically down and right in the rear cockpit.  The new UFCs are a flat panel LCD, and the old ones are as depicted in the Revell kit.  When I left the community in 2016, pretty much all the jets at Seymour had the LCD UFCs.   

Also, those wheels and tires are...not good.  Replace!   I’m still eager to get my hands on one though.  I do wish Wolfpack would recast their update set for the Revell kit- because that was very well done.  

I ramble...

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received this kit.

One very dissapointing thing: I got one sprue from old Kinetic kit (I suppose this must be F-16 kit) with weapons: AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles plus some bombs and plus F-16 launchers.

And there are no GWH missiles (in those characteristic blisters).

Really, GWH, couldn't you just put inside your original, beautiful AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles, just like in F-15C kit?

Shame on you.

20 minutes ago, Solo said:

One very dissapointing thing: I got one sprue from old Kinetic kit (I suppose this must be F-16 kit) with weapons: AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles plus some bombs and plus F-16 launchers.

Really, GWH, couldn't you just put inside your original, beautiful AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles, just like in F-15C kit?

Shame on you.

Sad but true. I have enough aftermarket to hang on it, so I'll be heading that route.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Shame on you.

They have done that for many of their models. Single piece missiles are the most costly items apparently and sometimes they cut them from certain boxings.  I am surprised they cut if from F-15E boxing though. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

What?

Intake trunks are completely wrong and a pain to work with. there are also no suitable plugs available (that i know of).

I saw a build once where someone used the academy intakes but i cant find it anymore.

Just now, Pep said:

Intake trunks are completely wrong and a pain to work with. there are also no suitable plugs available (that i know of).

I saw a build once where someone used the academy intakes but i cant find it anymore.

I have heard there were fit issues early on, but nothing that said they are wrong. What is wrong about them?

6 minutes ago, Pep said:

Shape is off they widen in the back kinda like a coke bottle?

Have a look here,

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/gwh/pages/gwh_4815_parts5.shtml

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. I know there are a few quirks, but it is still the best on the market. I know some of the Eagle drivers and ground crew (including one crew chief) have commented on them and I don't recall intakes as an issue other than the fit needs to be watched closely.

Its noticeable for sure, but Not a deal breaker for me (I'm currently on my 3rd GWH eagle), its just something i wish would be addressed.

This is my attempt at using PhaseHangars new Hasegawa intakes. Unfortunatly it will need more work with the intake ramps.

https://imgur.com/a/aqfiFhu

https://imgur.com/a/xImGC3K

https://imgur.com/a/CqH0Epv

https://imgur.com/a/LkUBip5

Edited by Pep