A guy on another forum posted a bunch of great pics of 160th helos in action during a PR exercise held in Tampa, FL a few weeks back.   

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=163431&sid=74403bab125daf783ac27de7fe3bbb41

One pic is interesting, I've never noticed that tan-ish colored panel before.   Is that a vent or something else?  Just on H-6M's?   BTW, not sure what the rules of the road are for posting pics from other forums, if anyone thinks it inappropriate, just advise and I'll take it down asap. Also noticed they are back to using that external clear windshield again.  Haven't seen those in a few years.  

Edited by 11bee

The tan-coloured grill is the vent for the air intake filter. I think it might be manufactured by Donaldson. I think the vent is part of the air intake system, but it could also be a vent to expel any dust or dirt captured by the intake filtration system. Apparently it is a system that is a minor miracle. Even in very dusty and dirty environments, it saves the engine turbine blades and probably compressor blades too from otherwise guaranteed damage. This system also ensures cooler TOT values for a given power setting. It is also currently available for the OH-6A, 500D and 530F and plenty of civilian operators have these fitted.

Hopefully this system is included in the up-coming KH Mike kit. The nose decal is pretty cool too. It also looks like they have added another new antenna above the right pilot door frame just to the rear of the windscreen (light grey item on a small base/frame). Nice find.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

Those air deflectors look pretty cool!

I wonder how long it will be before someone makes them for aftermarket!!!(Floyd)

I wonder who the lucky aircrewmember was that got that fun ride!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench