Masking over decals

Anyone have any suggestions to mask over decals so I can paint.  It seems when I want to remove decals, masking tape will not lift them.  But when I want to mask decals for painting or touch up the masking tape lifts the carrier film.  I have tried to seal the decals with future after drying with mixed results.

Thanks!

Edited by B2Blain

What type of tape are you using? You probably need a low tack tape. Try Tamiya's masking tape and further reduce the tack by first sticking it to the back of your hand. Or you can try Stick-it notes. I have a paper type tape roll that has an extremely low tack adhesive, about the same as Stick-it notes. I bought it quite a while ago, but I think this may be the same thing (going by the comments).

https://www.amazon.com/3M-3051-WI07536-Scotch-Paper/dp/B000SPOHCY/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1530596418&sr=1-12&keywords=masking%2Btape%2Blow%2Btack&th=1

Make sure you use Microsol or Walthers Solvaset and its over a well-cured gloss coat (I like Tamiya Clear X-22) (test Walthers before applying on a decals/big decal cause sometimes it'll literally melt the decal), give the decals several days to thoroughly dry, and then seal the decals after its really dried well after a couple days with some more Tamiya X-22, this will also make the carrier film border harder to see.

Dan

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've been using blue painters taps and them have been "selling" the decals with future.  Maybe I will try the low tack tape or post it note.  I'm concerned with bleed through, but if I spray a coat of base before the final coat maybe that might help.  

Blue painters tape is definitely too high tack. Get some Tamiya or Kabuki tape as mentioned.  The only thing I use the blue tape for is holding parts together when dry fitting.

I have a roll of Tamiya tape but have not used it previously.  I am intrigued by the post it note idea.  I'm thinking it might be a good option for flat surfaces.  Is there a greater chance of the paint bleeding through?

Thanks,

Blain

I am using Gunze's Mr. Setter.  Is it just suppose to help move around the decal and set or are there some adhesive properties contained in it?  Also sometimes Mr. Setter leaves a white residue.  Is it dissolving the future coat or does the white residue come from Mr. Setter?

Thanks!

Edited by B2Blain