USAF F-84G in camo scheme

Any guesses as to what the colors are on the F-84G, which was apparently assigned to the 492nd FS at Chaumount-Semoutiers, France between 1952 & 1954?  It's not a very good color pic, but to me it looks like three shades of grey (medium & dark upper surface & light on the lower).

492d_Fighter-Bomber_Squadron_-_Republic_F-84G-2-RE_Thunderjet_-_51-9674.jpg

Edited by afspret

I agree with Kingoalie,

Most European countries in those days and later on their F-84/F-86s had them painted D. Sea Grey/D. Green.

This was probably an experimental paint scheme from USAF, or, perhaps "playing" the role of an aggressor?

• 1 month later...

That is likely to be an aircraft on its way to Yugoslavia, with temporary USAF markings.  I have never seen or heard of a camouflaged F-84G in anything besides the NATO standard Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey camouflage with PRU Blue below.  That’s undoubtedly what this photo shows, but the color is horribly shifted in the original slide or negative.

Edited by Sonoran
11 hours ago, Sonoran said:

That is likely to be an aircraft on its way to Yugoslavia, with temporary USAF markings.  I have never seen or heard of a camouflaged F-84G in anything besides the NATO standard Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey camouflage with PRU Blue below.  That’s undoubtedly what this photo shows, but the color is horribly shifted in the original slide or negative.

Not quite Sonoran,

A couple of days ago I saw a documentary about the Ramstein AFB in Germany, and at some point, I saw an F-84G, with a paint scheme that resembled the SEA scheme. Wish I had taken a photo to upload it here for everyone to see. I saw this documentary on DW (Deutsche Welle).

Edited by SERNAK
  • 2 months later...

@SERNAK,  Perhaps you did see a F-84G in SEA camo at Ramstein AFB, but what was the date?  If the original photo in question above is dated between 1952-54, then it most certainly is the NATO standard Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey camouflage with PRU Blue below as Kingoalie and Sonoran pointed out.  The USAF did not officially adopt SEA camouflage colors and patterns until 1964, as noted in their T.O. 1.  I have seen old F-84F/Gs at all kinds of US and friendly nation air bases that were "dumped" and used for BDR trainers or as decoys dispersed around the field.  As a result, they were painted by troops using what paint was available in the 1970s - 90s: SEA, Asia Minor, Euro I & II, in short, whatever!  I remember seeing a F-101B Voodoo in Euro I paint at a European air base in the late 1980s, which scheme it never carried during its operational life.  So, back to the photo in question.  This appears to be an operational jet.  A photo is a moment in time.  Without an explanatory caption, it is not very informational. If the date is correct, then the most likely explanation is the NATO camo for a jet either going to MDAP country or returning from MDAP back to US control.  In this case, most likely being delivered to an MDAP customer. My $.02, R/ Dutch

@Dutch Well I saw the documentary in August so, I can't really remember the date. I think Deutsche Welle does have an archive online but, it would take a lot of time to locate the specific video.

Back to the photo in question. The Yugoslavs did receive F-84Gs but, from the photos that I have seen they were all in natural metal finish. Later on, these aircrafts adapted the camo scheme you're referring to.    

Now taking your $.02 and mine $.02, that's a lot of money!!!!😁