Rant - Food for thought?

hi guys

As some of you might have noticed, I posted a couple of my video builds in the Progress section of the forum.

Firstly I would like to say 'thank you' to all you guys for taking the time to watch my video

I know that many of you would prefer photos rather than video builds but personally I believe seen a video offers you more on the way someone applies a specific technique, using tools etc.

For those that don't like to watch videos, the answer is easy don't watch them! and dot 'tclick on the link! Easy!

ARC provides a platform for modellers to showcase their work using every media available, including video.

Also ARC provides a platform for non master-modellers to showcase their work to the contrary of someone's ideas and thoughts about it.

A lot of people make comments about other peoples work but we haven't seen any of their work either.....I wonder why :whistle: and to be told more or less that 'if the models are no to the same level of some of the master-modellers of the forum don't bother posting them'  is at least insulting and a sign of a bully!!!!

I know I don't post often as well...

if the moderators change the rules and not allow videos I will not post one again....until then I will be here and post my videos.

thank you and apologies for the rant!

Maybe the folks you are angry at are thinking that "In-Progress Pics--This forum is posting pics of your just finished model or in-progress pics of your current build." is for Pics?

It doesn't matter to me, I rarely watch videos,,,,,,but, maybe they were thinking "build threads with pics" would be the posts in the "pics" section.

52 minutes ago, Rex said:

Maybe the folks you are angry at are thinking that "In-Progress Pics--This forum is posting pics of your just finished model or in-progress pics of your current build." is for Pics?

It doesn't matter to me, I rarely watch videos,,,,,,but, maybe they were thinking "build threads with pics" would be the posts in the "pics" section.

Rex it is the way some people come across

As I said you are allowed to post in any media you prefer

I would have agreed with you if you hadn't posted an old "shot across the bow" that happens 2 or 3 times a week online these days. (more than 3 times, some weeks)

Being born the year before I boxed up my built models and went off to Boot Camp, you don't have a reference to realize that Thousands and Thousands of models were built by guys with NO help at all,,,,,,no books, no Internet (it didn't work well in the mainstream population until 1995), no digital cameras, no magazines,,,,not even the famous Shep Paine booklets that the 1/48 guys talk about. 

So, yeah, the models I built back when we had 110  or 126 cameras, and had to decide between processing fees or more models and paint,,,,,,,,,don't have photos posted online in 2018. (and there are hundreds of us from then, on the internet today, most of them older than my measly 61 years, with 53 years of continuous modeling time) 

Even the most famous published model builder, in print and online, probably has more models from "before photos" than in all the years after his work was seen in print and online.

( " A lot of people make comments about other peoples work but we haven't seen any of their work either.....I wonder why :whistle:    "   )

Edited by Rex
6 minutes ago, Rex said:

I would have agreed with you if you hadn't posted an old "shot across the bow" that happens 2 or 3 times a week online these days. (more than 3 times, some weeks)

Being born the year before I boxed up my built models and went off to Boot Camp, you don't have a reference to realize that Thousands and Thousands of models were built by guys with NO help at all,,,,,,no books, no Internet (it didn't work well in the mainstream population until 1995), no digital cameras, no magazines,,,,not even the famous Shep Paine booklets that the 1/48 guys talk about. 

So, yeah, the models I built back when we had 110  or 126 cameras, and had to decide between processing fees or more models and paint,,,,,,,,,don't have photos posted online in 2018. (and there are hundreds of us from then, on the internet today, most of them older than my measly 61 years, with 53 years of continuous modeling time) 

Even the most famous published model builder, in print and online, probably has more models from "before photos" than in all the years after his work was seen in print and online.

( " A lot of people make comments about other peoples work but we haven't seen any of their work either.....I wonder why :whistle:    "   )

Rex hi

apologies but I don't understand what you mean regarding

'I would have agreed with you if you hadn't posted an old "shot across the bow" that happens 2 or 3 times a week online these days. (more than 3 times, some weeks)'

I quoted you at the bottom.

It is a variation of the modeling meme that says "no pics, not a real modeler"

My point is that a lot of us were "real modelers" before some of the people that type that cheap shot were even born.

So, I choose to never take those guys too seriously, they just don't know how new the Internet really is.

Edited by Rex
21 minutes ago, Rex said:

I quoted you at the bottom.

It is a variation of the modeling meme that says "no pics, not a real modeler"

My point is that a lot of us were "real modelers" before some of the people that type that cheap shot were even born.

So, I choose to never take those guys too seriously, they just don't know how new the Internet really is.

Thanks Rex

I like to spend my time modelling, not watching other people do it....

I've seen where you have posted your videos but not bothered to look for several reasons, including wanting to support this site rather than your U-tube channel and potential income to you.

What I would suggest is that you post like some others do in that they post a few actual pictures of their finished product to quickly show the results and then post your link to the video for people to look more if they wish to. I don't really want to sit through a video watching what we all do every day, waiting for the end result but some might. Posting a few finished pictures plus a link to your video would satisfy both camps

I think a lot has to do with the quality of the videos. There are some that I wouldn't watch more than a minute they are so bad. Yours are very well done. I especially like the ones on how various modelers do the airbrushing. That really can't be shown in just photos. Photos may show the steps, but not the process to arrive at the final result. I also like the way you note what paint, thinning ratio, needle size etc.. As Yogi Berra famously said...you can observe a lot just by watching :)

Photos and videos are both valuable. Use whatever appeals to you...you can't learn less!

He also responded to a question of mine in very short order.

Bob

So, I watched a few of the videos posted by agelos2005 and actually find them very good - considerably better than the majority of build videos I have seen on YouTube. I don't understand the bandwidth objection, because the videos only start streaming when you click on them and, if you clicked accidentally, they stop streaming if you click on them again.

However, I think RCAFFAN has a good suggestion - post some pictures of the completed build, because some people here are only interested in that. Then post the video at the end for those who want to see how you got there, including me. This approach should make everyone happy.

13 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

I've seen where you have posted your videos but not bothered to look for several reasons, including wanting to support this site rather than your U-tube channel and potential income to you.

What I would suggest is that you post like some others do in that they post a few actual pictures of their finished product to quickly show the results and then post your link to the video for people to look more if they wish to. I don't really want to sit through a video watching what we all do every day, waiting for the end result but some might. Posting a few finished pictures plus a link to your video would satisfy both camps

fair comment my friend

I don't ave anything with people not wanting to click and watch my videos.

I am against the negative comments

I will follow advise of posting a couple and photos and video

thank you

9 hours ago, Bob Beary said:

I think a lot has to do with the quality of the videos. There are some that I wouldn't watch more than a minute they are so bad. Yours are very well done. I especially like the ones on how various modelers do the airbrushing. That really can't be shown in just photos. Photos may show the steps, but not the process to arrive at the final result. I also like the way you note what paint, thinning ratio, needle size etc.. As Yogi Berra famously said...you can observe a lot just by watching :)

Photos and videos are both valuable. Use whatever appeals to you...you can't learn less!

He also responded to a question of mine in very short order.

Bob

thanks Bob

much appreciated

8 hours ago, john53 said:

This reminds me of MTV, "video killed the radio star". Still searching

for my Dual turntable and Kenwood receiver with EPI column speakers.---John

hi John

I am sorry but I didn't understand your comment?

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Mfezi said:

So, I watched a few of the videos posted by agelos2005 and actually find them very good - considerably better than the majority of build videos I have seen on YouTube. I don't understand the bandwidth objection, because the videos only start streaming when you click on them and, if you clicked accidentally, they stop streaming if you click on them again.

However, I think RCAFFAN has a good suggestion - post some pictures of the completed build, because some people here are only interested in that. Then post the video at the end for those who want to see how you got there, including me. This approach should make everyone happy.

Thank you Mfezi

I will follow RCAFFAN suggestion :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

That is precisely why Peri was asked not to post his videos on Britmodeller. There is a bit of advertising involved (including product advertising). I prefer step by step photos personally. If someone wants the video, just go to YouTube and subscribe to his channel....easy enough. If I am not mistaken, the videos serve as a platform for his build sales as well? Anyhow, I am a hobbyist that does do competition and ARC is my favorite model site.

Additionally: I will gladly "SHUT MY YAPPER" if the mods ask me to.

My videos use to contain links to products that I use. These are products that everybody uses and everybody can get so what is wrong about it in my videos?

Secondly my channel doesn't serve as builds sale at all. Again what is wrong if it was openly promoting that I do commissions?

Don't shut up please 

This is an open forum and we discuss things 

1 hour ago, agelos2005 said:

My videos use to contain links to products that I use. These are products that everybody uses and everybody can get so what is wrong about it in my videos?

Secondly my channel doesn't serve as builds sale at all. Again what is wrong if it was openly promoting that I do commissions?

Don't shut up please 

This is an open forum and we discuss things 

A few Questions;

Do you make any money off of your videos that you post on ARC?

Why did you post this thread up in the General Discussion instead of keeping this discussion down in your in progress thread?

Yes my videos have ads so potentially I will make money but this is not the reason I post it. I post it because I don't bother with photos of the progress any more. 

I posted this topic  in the general cause it is a general topic nothing to do with progress pic 

7 hours ago, agelos2005 said:

hi John

I am sorry but I didn't understand your comment?

:rolleyes:

Before MTV music videos we had vinyl albums, before build videos we

had blogs or magazines with PICTURES. See the similarity  now or

are you too young??????🙄🙄🙄---John