Seagull from HMAS Australia 1/72

Decalled (dramas, the old Matchbox decals were prone to shattering/splitting/air bubbles), then a pastel sludge wash and some misting with dilute flat white to make it look sun and salt faded (the real things seem to look more white than aluminium color to me in the old B&W photos).

Lots of fiddly little parts to add now - flap actuators, radio wires, wheels in a retracted position.

Then onto scratching a catapult & part of the HMAS Australia perhaps?

Photos are quick snaps with Samsung phone again, so not the best.

8iUQRYm.jpg

LEKosXY.jpg

lJc4sht.jpg

zjvKtzc.jpg

16 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Scrubbing up nicely, another quality piece of work from the Thoomo Workshops! :thumbsup2:

Thanks mate. Got to head to the Nations Capital for work next week, will be slumming it in the Novatel.

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Thommo

Decals look great and using the old Matchbox ones is an amazing feat!

Keep ‘em comin :thumbsup:

Peter

I'm a sucker for punishment.  I should have used some spares (but could not find any that were quite right) or bought some aftermarket.  They came off the backing paper OK, but when I applied the Microset :rolleyes:  Anyhow, I wrestled them into some sort of shape that I'll have to live with.  To give you the full picture, my wife said "I thought this was meant to be relaxing" .....

Main building done, just need to paint & add the (legless) pilot.  Pinched a stand from another old Matchbox kit, but as I hadn't initially cut out the stand slot, some surgery was required on both fuselage & stand & it is a pretty precarious.  Intending to build a catapult to hold it eventually, maybe sitting on the catapult, maybe just airborne if I can find a solid way to insert a perspex rod in the stand slot.

Glad I posed it flying with wheels up as it looks so much better than the ugly fat goose of a thing when sitting on the ground!

The fit of this kit is probably the best of anything I've ever made :thumbsup: (apart from the engine pod which requires a little surgery of the struts to get it to sit properly, and to align the top wing).  But it is  an amazing fit for such an old  basic kit.

I was going to leave off the little footprints showing the wingwalk as they looked too complex, but in the end cut out a little mask using low-tack masking tape from Bunnings and carefully sprayed them on.  Happy with the result.

A3OuLuc.jpg

WV7hAhi.jpg

3dIRbW7.jpg

KOIxVbC.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Really nice work Thommo!
The extra detailing on the engine really paid off as it is so visible.
Fantastic job with the rigging. It is something I have put off but will hopefully try soon.

Glad you decided to add the walkway footprints too. They certainly add interest and I've not seen that before.

You weathering is convincing too. Great job all around.

-co

Thommo,

What an amazing job!  been following since the start.

incredible that under that jewel is a matchbox kit. 

I found your rigging technique very interesting, and I would love to attempt to replicate it when I build several biplane-flying boats in my to do list.

by the way, what did you use to make the bulges for the rigging?

again, congrats on your build.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Thanks folks.

Ernie, I just used some Evergreen rod for the bulges.  Trimmed the ends into a bit of a point using an Exacto blade, then shaped a bit more with 400 grit sandpaper, then cut it to length.  Glued on with Testors liquid cement, then shaped it a bit more with sandpaper once the glue dried.  Tedious, but worth the effort.

I've got the pilot painted up now, so will stick him in soon.

Next time I have to rig a model I'm going to try this stuff - https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/ 

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

Thanks folks.

Ernie, I just used some Evergreen rod for the bulges.  Trimmed the ends into a bit of a point using an Exacto blade, then shaped a bit more with 400 grit sandpaper, then cut it to length.  Glued on with Testors liquid cement, then shaped it a bit more with sandpaper once the glue dried.  Tedious, but worth the effort.

I've got the pilot painted up now, so will stick him in soon.

Next time I have to rig a model I'm going to try this stuff - https://www.uschivdr.com/products-in-detail/rigging/ 

Indeed worth the effort!

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions Thommo.  One remaining question... does the rigging actually go through the bulges or it's adjacent to them?  I can't tell from the pics.

regards,

Ernie A.

Nicely done Thommo, I've a couple of these in stock, I'd thought of scanning the feet of a Revell boxing's decal sheet & printing my own but what you've done does the job pretty well too.

Steve.

On 8/16/2018 at 4:07 AM, modelmax said:

Indeed worth the effort!

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions Thommo.  One remaining question... does the rigging actually go through the bulges or it's adjacent to them?  I can't tell from the pics.

regards,

Ernie A.

Ernie, a bit of both.  I drilled holes (or half-holes) either in the bulges, or right at the point where they join the wing.  On the real thing, the rigging comes out of the actual bulge.

It now has a pilot.  I'm not convinced the bit I painted yellow is actually a lifejacket as it looks more like a scarf in size and location but meh.

When I get around to building the catapult diorama, I'll try adding a spinning prop (which thankfully does not need yellow tips).  Found a good (though technically challenging for me) article on how to make one using the GIMP software (https://oikofuge.com/how-to-model-rotating-propeller-discs/) which I've downloaded.  I've got it worked out all except how to put the right proportions into GIMP (the 3rd pic in that article - how to get all the little triangles at the bottom to match the proportions in the 2nd pic of the spreadsheet).

Gi6SNbb.jpg

LOpmwyU.jpg

thf9mjb.jpg

2knPSEo.jpg