A-20 Havoc/Boston Question

I remember there once was some discussion of the old AMT 1/48 A-20 series of kits that the main landing gear was mis-located in the wheel-well/nacelle.  IIRC, It needs to be re-located forward a bit.  Can anyone speak to the veracity of that?

Mongo

I remember reading that somewhere years ago. I can't recall where the author got his info, or whether he figured it out from looking at photos… IIRC, it's somewhere on the order of a quarter inch, but I'm not 100% about that. Somewhere (there's that word again) in the started A-20B/C I've got, I think I wrote down the measurements. I started it sometime n the late 90s, back when Eduard's PE was just etched brass with no painting or self-adhering.

Guys, I looked up A-20 in the prop section.  On 01-11-2012 Reccephreak posted about the landing gear.  It came from a magazine called Military Model Preview, Vol. 2 Iss. 3.  That's where the article said about the landing gear needed to be moved forward 1/4".  Look up the article because there is more discussion on it to judge for yourself.

Indeed, that MMP article may be the source.   IIRC the problem was noted early on when the kit was initially issued back in the mid-90s when MMP was being published.  Now, does anyone have a copy of said magazine?

The recollections were correct.  I had a copy of the article in my A-20G kit sitting in the stash.  Here is the relevant paragraph verbatim:

"Those of you that wish to have your A-20G sitting on the ground may wish to correct its "sit" by drilling new main landing gear locator holes 1/4" (6.3mm) forward of the existing locator holes in the lower wings (24, 26).  If the main landing gear is installed "by the book," it will sit too far back.  Naturally, I caught this boo-boo after the fact, but that's what I'm here for - so you don't!  It is such an easy fix that you really should take a minute to drill the new holes."

MMP kit reviews were interesting in seeing the bare plastic put together!

Good reference!  That will be helpful, assuming the kit dimensions are correct.  That took some serious digging!  That looks like a great website with resources for all kinds of subjects.  Thanks!