My "Expendables" movies A/C triple build

Hello gang.

Ever since the said movies came out, I became fascinated with the true stars in the 3 movies... the aircraft!

I commenced gathering information on the real aircraft, as well as the 1/72 scale models I would need.  Over time, I sourced the Heller CL-215, the Monogram Hu-16B Albatross, and the A-moldel An-26.

I first started on the CL-215 water bomber about a year ago, and got it to the primer stage.

This summer, I started work on the Monogram which involved converting it to a Hu-16A (as close as I can anyway).  The An-26 will have to wait a bit longer.

Any way, here's some pictures of the CL-215.  

3f7BTCv.jpg

yyZatSJ.jpg

Forgot to mention... I liked the throw back look of the rivets, that I decided to leave them on.

QT83mSC.jpg

h3Omenq.jpg

that meant that I had to repair rivets all along the fuselage and wing to fuselage joints... what a pain in the RRRRs!

b5SwCNd.jpg

thank you for looking.

Edited by modelmax

Gang,

One thing I learned from the CL-215, was that I did not want to repair lost rivets!   ...so for the albatross, I decided to sand them all off!

Here are pics of the Albatross.

First was the chopping of the wings and gluing them back together to represent an A.  the rudder and elevator mods will follow next, and that would be enough of an A model for me!

ZYu9zI3.jpg

As you know, the interior is empty, so I felt the need to add some detail... Can't have Barny and Christmas floating around in the pit!

r4Q4dgc.jpg

Q46jdjE.jpg

An overall test fit...

c9l2N5z.jpg

NqN6Kbi.jpg

thanks for looking,

Ernie A.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:39 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

NIce work Ernie, you have done a great job with the scratch built cockpit. What did you do to the wings to make it an 'A'? Can't make out from the pictures what you did?

thanks.

I hacked off the 70" wing extensions (straight sections) following the outer engine nacelles and 30" extensions at the wing tips.  described in the added picture below. I will also need to modify the rudder and the tail to be representative of an A model.

ePpm4LR.jpg

Ernie 

Edited by modelmax
added content

Hello gang.

A bit more progress to report...

The stabilizer went under the knife to modify it to as close as possible to an A's dimensions.

U2adWs0.jpg

After several iterations of sanding, the wing is looking good.  An application of primer revealed some stubborn rivets under the wing in some areas... more sanding to follow.  This is my first use of Dupli-color automotive primer, and liked the results, but it is too thin and fine  scratches showed through... going back to Mr. surfacer for the next coat.

... Another fit test of the wing revealed the need for more adjustments.

hKbMCvX.jpg

Modification of the vertical stab. and rudder will take place once the fuselage is joined together. Hacked off the rudder in preparation for the mods.  The horizontal stab. fit is looking better, but still needs to sit slightly more aft.

AoR6NQL.jpg

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

Just one more thing...

This is the A-model An-26 kit by that will be done in the livery of the aircraft in Expendables 3.

edeq4CL.jpg

thanks,

Ernie A. 

Edited by modelmax
changes

Ernie

Just caught up with your triple build.  The Heller CL-215 with the scratched out floor is looking real good. Just being a Heller and getting it this far gets a :thumbsup: from me. As for the Monogram Albatross conversion to a A. The modifications looks great to the wing. And your scratched out interior starting with the cockpit really looks quite good. Any chance for some close up pictures of the cockpit?

Joel

Thanks for the kinds words Joel.

I'll get some close up shots of the pit for you next time.  I do have to warn you though, the instrument panels and seats are not 100% accurate.  I just went with some spare pe and a "close enough" representation of the seats.

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

19 hours ago, modelmax said:

Thanks for the kinds words Joel.

I'll get some close up shots of the pit for you next time.  I do have to warn you though, the instrument panels and seats are not 100% accurate.  I just went with some spare pe and a "close enough" representation of the seats.

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

Ernie,

Doesn't matter as only a Albatross expert would ever know. It looks right, and that's the main thing.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Minor update on the CL-215.

Applied white paint and masked in preparation for red paint.

O6HTWxD.jpg

After considering using resin replacement engines, I decided to go with the kit's engines with some minor modifications.

vRYpBWv.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Ernie A.

Hi gang.

With the painting of the pit and final addition of chairs and cots to the cargo area, she's ready to get closed up.  although most of the added stuff won't be seen, it was a lot of fun doing it. 

v9oh5Lt.jpg

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

Thanks Joel.

After having scratch build the cockpit seats, I didn't feel like doing the same with the cargo bay furnishings... I almost went with an empty cargo bay, but then I came across a 3D model of HO scale furniture for 3D printing in thingiverse website.  the components were printed flat on a carrier sheet, and that's when I realized I could do the same with the cargo area chairs and cots.  I quickly designed the chair's sides and cots on 3D modeling software.  Once printed I added the seat and back rest to the chair's sides from styrene.  a quick coat of paint and voila! they looked the part.

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax
  • 1 year later...

Hello gang.

A few progress pics on this effort...

I finally Started the Antonov An-26.

1st joined the fuselage quarters into halves... in hope that the resulting joint fits better.

The cockpit was assembled, and the front and rear cargo floors were also joined to form a single unit.

5auwz0O.jpg

After lots of work dry fitting and sanding the cockpit and cargo floors fit well enough to allow the fuselage halves to close properly.

ivjAGnA.jpg

A close up of the pit (instrument panel and pilot/co pilot seats missing).

p3iNsBP.jpg

Other sub-assemblies completed.

SXEEayu.jpg

Hope to button her up before the start of the school semester!

Thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

Edited by modelmax
change
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Walt.

Well, she's closed up and buttoned up and starting to look like an airplane.

Here's a photo shot of the cargo bay (seats left out)... just to prove it's there.  never will it be seen again.

Excgm2J.jpg

JNBLDEr.jpg

thanks for looking.

Ernie A.

• 3 months later...

Here's an update on the An-26 for this triple build.

I found the attaching of the wing to be a bit troublesome and fiddly.  Even after having added a styrene spar to give the outer wings some support.

I should have built this multi-piece wing the same way I did the CL-215, with a metal spar spanning into the outer wing to make it very sturdy.

jGZ04ii.jpg

Once built, its not bad looking given that this is an earlier Amodel kit.

R5pDsby.jpg

After primer and waiting for the splinter cammo.

uWY1v6a.jpg

Edited by modelmax