1/48 Kitty Hawk UH-1H double build(El Salvador AF 1980s & U.S. Army in Vietnam)

• 3 weeks later...

The last update before painting.

I scratch the oil cooler shield since the resin one was too small and the photoetch one too big. Used styrene for the plate and stretch sprue for the mounts. ALQ-144 mount made all from styrene sheet. Drain tubes with stretch sprue also. I did also scratch the door hinges, antennas, wire strike blades and other details. 

Hope to have it painted by next week, so stay tuned.

Thanks.

Rod.

LEzZdsD.jpg

kvzaI72.jpg

KHptm0F.jpg

cPcco4r.jpg

kOTb7ew.jpg

TkgBtST.jpg

Edited by salvador001
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 12:34 AM, Brad-M said:

Great work on the fit of the windshield, Did it take much fiddling around or was it a drop fit?

Brad

Hi Brad, Thanks. Yes it did, but with some pressure and CA glue it did the trick. I only used a small amount of acrylic putty for the lower gap.

Rod.

Hello guys. After almost 4 months im calling the first Huey done. El Salvador Air Force UH-1H with all the ASE gear during the last years of the war fought against the communist guerrillas. This is Guardian 214 U.S. Serial 66-16557 delivered to El Salvador on Aug 1988. I used Eduard Big Ed, Werner Wings ASE and Huey upgrades set, markings were all painted exept of the danger arrow on the boom. Painting was done using Model Master acrylics and the fading effect was made mixing the main color in this case Helo Drab with some white, yellow and browns. Chipping was done with Model Master steel and zinc chromate. Other weathering effects were created using oils, tamiya panel liner brown, ak interaktive aircraft weathering set,etc. I did a lot of scratch in this one. The interior transmission walls and roof is all new since i didnt leave the soundproofing on. Pilot seats armoured plates are new, M-60 guns are from the kit with some small modifications. The 7.62mm ammo belt is all scratch using stretch sprue to create each cartridge individually. The engine cowling are original kit parts except the inside of the upper cowls that i added the fire sensor cables. The main rotor was upgraded with new hydraulic lines, cables, pitch links and joints, stab bar was also upgraded. I did lower the dampers and reduced the mast height by 3mm. I also fix the main rotor blades bend since the kit ones came too extreme.

Hope you all enjoy and feel free to ask any question. I cant wait to start the Vietnam U.S. Army one.

Rod.

YVKEFAz.jpg

0hgyjzu.jpg

ClqbOIn.jpg

dxyuS25.jpg

XK2tprI.jpg

1nw45pV.jpg

CMALbsB.jpg

2b9hChO.jpg

rqmGCJd.jpg

eGAHdQN.jpg

nI6P1By.jpg

jIr4S12.jpg

dTbcxZM.jpg

UnxTlII.jpg

Edited by salvador001

Amazing!!!!

Not sure what else to say but I hope mine can come out half as good as this, I seem to be doing all the corrections, scratch building etc. that you are, tedious but sticking with it..

Love the paint and weathered look, spot on.

Chris

3 minutes ago, AD-4N said:

El Salvador Air Force Huey's flew without cockpit doors?  Scary. 

Why is that scary?  Lots of helos fly without doors.  The pilots are strapped in and the doors really do nothing. Same with the cargo doors.  I love flying w/doors off.

It came out really great.  Nice job on the finish.

21 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Why is that scary?  Lots of helos fly without doors.  The pilots are strapped in and the doors really do nothing. Same with the cargo doors.  I love flying w/doors off.

It came out really great.  Nice job on the finish.

I should have been more precise.  It is scary to me. 

I've flown in Army Hueys down the Nisqually River at Fort Lewis with the rear doors slid back and while engaged in a serve bank.  Looking down at the Nisqually it occurred to me that only my seat belt was holding me from ending up in the river.  It was scary to me. 

Similarly, in the Philippines when I was flying in their Hueys in the middle of Luzon with the rear doors slid back, in a hard bank I again thought only my seat belt was preventing me from heading into the boonies.   But flying with the doors slid back certainly provided the only cooling breeze we felt the entire time we were in country.  Both times I flew in Hueys it was in the outward facing troop seats toward the back by the main rotor mast. 

I am sure lots of folks love flying with the doors off.  Maybe the doors really do nothing, but somehow, I felt more at ease flying in Chinooks, inside a fuselage, even if the rear ramp was open.  

AD-4N, no worries.  The doors actually do "something".  Not to worry.  There are restrictions on airspeed if they aren't on the aircraft, and this all depends on the airframe.  Feels a lot better when they are off though, when it's hot.  Not so much right now when it's cool, and raining a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, flightdoc said:

Great Huey- very realistic !! Can't wait to see your Vietnam era ship !!

Walt Haynes

Thanks Walt. The Nam era Huey will be for next year, possibly will build it with a couple more like MFO, white top, etc, Only time will tell....

Rod.