This is my current project. Aircraft 497 flew combat missions during the opening phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, launching BQM-34 drones into Iraq as decoys/chaff dispensers.

image.jpg

The Italeri DC-130A kit with Cutting Edge "Pinocchio Nose" is what I'm rolling with, and one thing I really want to do is have the aft ramp open showing the drone operator stations. I was inspired to try that by this photo posted here on ARC by Brian Lockett:

dc130a.jpg

My plan is to build one operator panel/control box, and have three others cast in resin:

IMG_6132.jpg

I used switch panels and bezels from the old "ReHeat" cockpit detail sets. I always pick those up whenever I come across them at vendor tables, they're great to have in the tool box.

I started out with the cockpit, and made some mods to reconfigure it like an actual C-130. I'll have the main entrance hatch open, so I'm doing a little scratch building in the lower avionics bay as well. I'll put some "boxes" in place on the equipment racks from the spares parts box.

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

The DC-130A has a fourth window along the side of the fwd fuselage, so I added that as well. There is two extra circular windows on the clear parts sprue, as the DC-130 troop doors used square windows...the doors with square windows are provided as well. In fact, there are 4 of them, which worked out great because I have plans for a Blue Angels C-130T "Fat Albert" in the future :) .

IMG_6104.jpg

I just about have all the interior sub assemblies together and getting ready to paint. I have the "Flightpath" C-130 photo etch detail set as well to enhance some areas. These sets are from the early days of p/e...and I literally have had to hammer and chisel the parts away from the fret!

IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

All in all, this is an ambitious project. The model is "YUGE" and my room/bench is pretty small. I already am planning of having to do some painting in the garage (estimating that will be about in the fall, so at least I won't have paint issues with heat and humidity) but it's a model I've always wanted to build and I think with all the color on it it'll look pretty sharp next to all the camo and grays out there among the other OIF/OEF birds.

To continue a bit on the markings...

I plan on using mostly aftermarket numbers and letters to get the markings done. The tail logo I'll rob from a VX-30 F/A-18 sheet I have and the one off a/c 497  "nose art" ( I believe that says "JIHAD" across the top???) I made on my computer and will print out onto decal paper.

I found this image online, cleaned it up some, then traced it out and added the lettering. In 1/48 scale it is just small enough to make out the wording and will look the part.

570497-10.jpg

570497-10_2.jpg

dc130.jpg

Hey-

Very cool project, I'm looking forward to seeing this come together!  I worked on these back in the day as a Navy civilian. I actually got to fly on a DC-130 to launch a pair of BQM-74s.  Good stuff!

Phil

11 hours ago, Par429 said:

Hey-

Very cool project, I'm looking forward to seeing this come together!  I worked on these back in the day as a Navy civilian. I actually got to fly on a DC-130 to launch a pair of BQM-74s.  Good stuff!

Phil

Alright, wicked cool! I don't suppose you might have any photos of the back end do you? I'm trying to figure out how those control boxes were mounted...I can guess at it some, appears they're attached to a standard pallet. Was the whole set up a "roll on roll off" deal?

This is the only other photo I've come across showing the back end. This is a USAF DC-130A set up during the 'Nam era (you can see the tail pipe of the BQM-34 outside the troop door). It looks to me like the pedestal that the box sits on is mounted to the side structure of the aircraft here, with the seat likely mounted to a pallet...or maybe even to the track on the floor???

Bien_Hoa_Airbase_radio_operator.jpg

I think I'm going to scratch build a BQM-74 as well and hang it on one of the outboard pylons just for S&G.

Edited by 82Whitey51

Of course, step one of this whole shabang was hacking off the nose...like Captain Cortés settinjg fire to his ships, no going back now!

IMG_5706.jpg

The fit appears to be pretty nice but no doubt there will be filling and sanding in my future.

IMG_5708.jpg

Hey-

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any photos.  As I recall it was a roll on roll off affair so the control stations were mounted on standard cargo pallets.  They used these aircraft for lots of thing in addition to drone launching.

Are you at Pax River?  If so shoot me an email at PhilipdotRichardson.   I have a copy of the DC-130 NATOPS you can borrow.  It probably won’t help a ton, but it’s interesting.  I also have all the info you would need to build a BQM-74 and launch adapter.  I’ve done it in 1/48 to mount on a TA-4J, they look pretty neat.

Phil  

7 hours ago, Par429 said:

Hey-

I’m sorry, but I don’t have any photos.  As I recall it was a roll on roll off affair so the control stations were mounted on standard cargo pallets.  They used these aircraft for lots of thing in addition to drone launching.

Are you at Pax River?  If so shoot me an email at PhilipdotRichardson.   I have a copy of the DC-130 NATOPS you can borrow.  It probably won’t help a ton, but it’s interesting.  I also have all the info you would need to build a BQM-74 and launch adapter.  I’ve done it in 1/48 to mount on a TA-4J, they look pretty neat.

Phil  

OK, cool! I'd like a look at the NATOPS. I'll shoot you an email.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:02 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

Of course, step one of this whole shabang was hacking off the nose...like Captain Cortés settinjg fire to his ships, no going back now!

Good looking progress!

I'm considering doing a C-130 with the long Pinocchio nose in 1/72, but the resin conversions seem to be even harder to find than the Cutting Edge 1/48 release. Most seem to have ceased production in the 1990s.

I've resolved myself to scratch building the nose. I've read that the Cutting edge nose is pretty good, would it be possible to get a good photo in side profile as well as top or bottom profile? That might help me out with the basic forms, I'll just have to do a lot sanding on the curves!

Cheers and thanks,

Hoops

19 hours ago, Hoops said:

would it be possible to get a good photo in side profile as well as top or bottom profile? That might help me out with the basic forms, I'll just have to do a lot sanding on the curves!

Cheers and thanks,

Hoops

Here ya go, top, bottom, and sides. I'm surprised the 1/72 noses are so hard to find. I guess it is a bit of an obscure version of the 130.

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6183.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Here ya go, top, bottom, and sides. I'm surprised the 1/72 noses are so hard to find. I guess it is a bit of an obscure version of the 130.

Thank you very much!

There were two options in 1/72 out there are far as I can tell, DB Productions (closed shop in 1995) and the other being "In Country Hobbies" that also seems to have stopped sometime in the 90s. Apparently there was somebody in Japan doing a more extensive c

Resin set in the early 2000s under the name Eggversion conversions, none of the above are currently available.

Lucky for me I've got some scratch building skills and may be able to make a go of this.

Cheers and thanks again!

Hoops

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

Thank you very much!

There were two options in 1/72 out there are far as I can tell, DB Productions (closed shop in 1995) and the other being "In Country Hobbies" that also seems to have stopped sometime in the 90s. Apparently there was somebody in Japan doing a more extensive c

Resin set in the early 2000s under the name Eggversion conversions, none of the above are currently available.

Lucky for me I've got some scratch building skills and may be able to make a go of this.

Cheers and thanks again!

Hoops

Hoops...

Check this out as well...vac form Firebees, WITH the nose conversion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airmodel-Products-1-72-LOCKHEED-DC-130-HERCULES-FIREBEE-Vacuform-Conversion-Kit/132598163521?hash=item1edf776841%3Ag%3AtaQAAOSw7I5a4Q-U&_sacat=1188&_nkw=1%2F72+DC-130&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

14 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Hoops...

Check this out as well...vac form Firebees, WITH the nose conversion.

Good find!

Although I'm looking at the nose as a possible YMC-130H build, which didn't have the microwave band thimble radome underneath. Instead, it had a FLIR, which looks rather like an IRDS from what I can see. I honestly don't know what would be more difficult, the vac form nose and hacking it up to represent the differences, or sculpting it with Evergreen and Milliput?

Cheers,

Hoops

18 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Good find!

Although I'm looking at the nose as a possible YMC-130H build, which didn't have the microwave band thimble radome underneath. Instead, it had a FLIR, which looks rather like an IRDS from what I can see. I honestly don't know what would be more difficult, the vac form nose and hacking it up to represent the differences, or sculpting it with Evergreen and Milliput?

Cheers,

Hoops

You could use it as a way to make a mold and do a resin one.

Removing the "thimble" and filling the hole wouldn't be too difficult. The 1/48 nose comes as a separate item, which is pretty nice. The Navy kept those in place for a short time right after getting these from the USAF but soon removed them and put cover over the opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...Finished up the flight station over the weekend. Lots of work, took longer than anticipated. I used instrument and circuit breaker panel decals from "DEKLS" out of Australia. I don't typically use decals for instrument panels and cockpits, but I liked how these looked and really make the breaker panels stand out.

Now that it is done, I can move on to the aft cargo area and get things moving along.

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

...and just to keep things legal, the FE does have his NATOPS on board.

IMG_6203.jpg

Inspired your work on your prototype model!
For this project need to have a lot of patience and skills to complete with success, and untill now we see very nice work on it.
Good luck for this interesting project...:thumbsup:

Giannis Doxas