W.C. Fields nosecone on 1/48 Mono/Revell F-18C.

I got what seemed like a good deal on ebay for this venerable kit ( inside the wing it says Copyright 1995) because there are so many great decal sheets for this plane and airbrushing and decaling are my favorite parts of the hobby, and I just can't afford Hasegawa/Kinetic prices for blank canvasses. Upon opening the box, it was obvious that everything was still sealed inside the original baggie, I mention that because I don't feel like I can blame the seller for the condition of the nose. You would have to open the baggie to be able to see it.
 The nose has some sort of bizarre, bubbly, crusty, psoriatic pathology going on...I did searches to find out if this was some common issue back in the day, or did Revell/Monogram issue replacement parts, etc. I could find nothing. I can fix a lot of things on models but getting this thing back to smooth and the correct "roundish" shape is gonna be tough, and it's not like somebody's not gonna notice it looks weird, it's right up front of the whole plane!
 So I guess my questions are: any recommendations for going about a rescue mission? Or does someone make a replacement part for this kit? Or, does anybody have an unloved parts kit shoved in the back of the closet that maybe they would sell the nosecone to me?
 Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael Smith

f-18cnose.jpg

f-18cnose2.jpg

Edited by micalee
misspellings
13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sanding stick. That nose is not any worse then a minor oops with too much glue.

Easy fix.

That would be the biggest OOPS I ever made since I was maybe 8 years old  😁   But if that's the only option open to me, I'll take that route, maybe bring along my trusty Flex-I-File for backup.

flexifile should do. You can also try one of those sanders on a sponge things that you get at the nails section of the drug store. 

Hardly problematic enough to replace. 

It happened because somebody didn't clean gunk out of the tooling before running another pressing of the model. 

6 hours ago, airmechaja said:

The other option is to go to the "spares box" on this forum and ask if someone has a spare laying around. Phantom is always up to a modelling challenge. He is a demi-god of model building!:worship:

Thank you sir, I never noticed the "spares box" before!

3 hours ago, RKic said:

flexifile should do. You can also try one of those sanders on a sponge things that you get at the nails section of the drug store. 

Hardly problematic enough to replace. 

It happened because somebody didn't clean gunk out of the tooling before running another pressing of the model. 

Well it's "problematic" for me, because at age 66, doing all that remedial work will be cutting into the time I have left on Earth 😊 Trust me, I've been modeling since age 5 and I have rehabilitated more than my share of old Monogram, Airfix, Frog and Lindberg kits, don't mind if I can skip it this time!

20 minutes ago, micalee said:

Well it's "problematic" for me, because at age 66, doing all that remedial work will be cutting into the time I have left on Earth 😊 Trust me, I've been modeling since age 5 and I have rehabilitated more than my share of old Monogram, Airfix, Frog and Lindberg kits, don't mind if I can skip it this time!

Understood. 

Classic kit rehab is fun sometimes. But I get it, if you want a canvas for the painting, you dont want to be monkeying around with a long assembly. Have you considered scaling down and doing some of Academy's 1/72 hornets? They're great kits, build pretty fast, and wont break the bank - or the display shelf - considering the F-18 is a pretty big bird. 

Just now, RKic said:

Understood. 

Classic kit rehab is fun sometimes. But I get it, if you want a canvas for the painting, you dont want to be monkeying around with a long assembly. Have you considered scaling down and doing some of Academy's 1/72 hornets? They're great kits, build pretty fast, and wont break the bank - or the display shelf - considering the F-18 is a pretty big bird. 

I just bought 4 Revell 1/144 Hornets  😉 Not to mention several "two in a box" Dragon 1/144 Navy helicopters.
I do a lot of 1/72 planes, but I like doing 1/48 stuff because I have sort of a fan base on my Facebook page, and I can sell bigger models almost instantly, but the 1/72 planes not so much, people seem to want the bigger planes.
I just bought the Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18-C too. Hey my stash is the equivalent of someone else's wine cellar!

4 minutes ago, micalee said:

I just bought 4 Revell 1/144 Hornets  😉 Not to mention several "two in a box" Dragon 1/144 Navy helicopters.
I do a lot of 1/72 planes, but I like doing 1/48 stuff because I have sort of a fan base on my Facebook page, and I can sell bigger models almost instantly, but the 1/72 planes not so much, people seem to want the bigger planes.
I just bought the Kinetic 1/48 F/A-18-C too. Hey my stash is the equivalent of someone else's wine cellar!

I'd love to be able to sell off my models. Then I can build as big as I want, and just put it up for sale when I'm out of space. How did you get started in that? 

Also, can you send a link to your FB page?

Edited by RKic
13 minutes ago, RKic said:

I'd love to be able to sell off my models. Then I can build as big as I want, and just put it up for sale when I'm out of space. How did you get started in that? 

Also, can you send a link to your FB page?

I just started mentioning I've been building models since I was 5, and posted some pics, and people found them "collectable" so it basically created a cycle of selling a kit, then using those funds for more kits, then selling, then buying, you know the routine. I just got the genius idea to do some planes in the colors and logo of my band, which may up the collectable factor many times, we'll see, doing a 1/32 Hasegawa F-5E, that came with unusable "Sundowners" decals, which is one of my all time fave schemes, and I've never been able to get the 2 Bobs sheet which has those markings, so going in a different direction  😉

3 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

Bondo®

I'm not kidding.  It will work wonders. 

Get the one pint can at any auto parts place.  Experiment with it some before you glop it onto the model.  After some practice with shaping/sanding it, glop some on the nose and have at it.   Good luck, (We're all counting on you.)

Hahahaha, haven't used Bondo in years!
Let's see, one can Bondo plus value of my time spent to and from store plus value of my time spent experimenting and sanding = ONE NEW KINETIC F/A-18C! 
That's Modern Modeling Math.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:16 PM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Then never mind.  Was trying to help. 

Won't make that mistake again. 

Make sure you're reading his response correctly. I don't take it as he was making fun of you. I took it as being kind of a fun response. You might want to PM him and clarify. It's very difficult to "read" a person on the internet. It would be a shame to get upset about a miscommunication.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:16 PM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Then never mind.  Was trying to help. 

Won't make that mistake again. 

I appreciate the help, truly. I was just being lighthearted and gay. Well, not gay gay, just having fun! 
Sorry for any misunderstanding!

It's just that, at age 66, with 61 years of filling, sanding and shaping countless Frog, Heller, Lindbergh, Matchbox,1960s Monograms and Airfix kits in a baggie, I'm just not into it anymore if there's a workaround.  And yes I know there will be lots of filling and sanding on this kit too, but I can deal with that.😉
Some kind soul answered my plea for help on the Hyperscale Plane Trading page so there may be a replacement in my future.
Long live Internet Airplane Builders!

Edited by micalee

I remeber when you could walk into an auto parts store with your old part wrapped in a shop rag, plop it on the counter, and the guy behind the counter would look at it, walk back and get the part and hand it to you, all without having to say a word.

Nowadays you walk in, ask for a can of Bondo, and the kid behind the computer at the counter asks if your car has air conditioning....

😟

Edited by habu2
26 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I remeber when you could walk into an auto parts store with your old part wrapped in a shop rag, plop it on the counter, and the guy behind the counter would look at it, walk back and get the part and hand it to you, all without having to say a word.

Nowadays you walk in, ask for a can of Bondo, and the kid behind the computer at the counter asks if your car has air conditioning....

😟

Isn't Bondo the singer guy in that U2 band?

2 minutes ago, micalee said:

Isn't Bondo the singer guy in that U2 band?

Hahahahahahahaha! 

With or without glue
With or without glue uh huh
I can buuuuiiiiilllld
With or without glue.