I am planning to convert the Kittyhawk and build a grey bird that was shown on page 31 of the AH-6C, MH-6 thread. Hopefully this can be a informational and build thread.

I have ordered the Archer rivets to attempt to match Jorge's work in his Kittyhawk AH-6J/M replacing rivets thread.

Using the photo and working with Loach Driver on the details, one of the bigger differences one can see is the skids are different.

I have some measurements to help but if any one has some Dragon skids I can use or borrow to help scratchbuild please let me know as that will speed up the process and I would like to start with that part cause if it goes poorly I can still use the kit as intended.

The next step for the exterior would be to remove the reinforcement straps. There is the four on the bottom, the Y shape on the sides and plate on top of the tail. Any I have missed to remove or any I need to add?

One issue with this plan is the kit does not have full rear doors and clear glass. I might just leave those off. 

Finally because I don't know any better, I was going to leave the cockpit alone unless someone has any 6H photos or knows more then me on what to change.

In general, that photo is all I have to go off for the 6H bird, grey or otherwise. Most photos I can find suggest the models before or after the 6H series that I can tell. Open to all information y'all might have.

Thanks for any information in advance.

Tank,

Cool subject (both due to the color scheme and the fact that I don't think anyone's built a model of this version before).   Good luck with the Archer rivets, they'll be worth it compared to what's on the kit parts.  

I wouldn't sweat the rear doors.  I know the one pic of the grey LB shows doors on it but it appears that these helos were photographed in transport mode.   Doubt they flew much with the doors in place. 

I've got a spare set of skids from the Dragon MD500/520 kit.   No idea if the are the same type used on the MH-6H but PM me if you want them. 

Edited by 11bee

Thanks for the offer, PM out. 

I agree the scheme is cool. I hope it will be easier then to make a good looking black finish. 

I have been been talking with Woody (Archer owner) in general about rivets and Jorge's application. His recommendation was spray a gloss coat first in this application (not always needed for rivets and I haven't done that in the past), use only water on the rivets. I will be trying this technique on this build.

1 hour ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Why remove the plate on top of the tail?  Maybe the ones on the side.  The one on the top is there on the J model.  The best I can tell they are all on the J model.

Floyd

LD and I discussed that it may be a J mod that the H's didn't have that. Open to any infomation you have that suggests the H has that plate as well.

16 minutes ago, Loach Driver said:

Not sure if I mentioned it but I reckon the paint is FS36375.

LD.

I had that infomation from your post that I was going to share later. Thanks for all the help.

Since I mostly use Tamiya paints - one paint app suggests 3 parts (XF-66, XF-19) and 1 part X2. We shall see when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 8:32 PM, Tank said:

Thanks for the offer, PM out. 

I agree the scheme is cool. I hope it will be easier then to make a good looking black finish. 

I have been been talking with Woody (Archer owner) in general about rivets and Jorge's application. His recommendation was spray a gloss coat first in this application (not always needed for rivets and I haven't done that in the past), use only water on the rivets. I will be trying this technique on this build.

Tank , when i used for the first time the rivets, was in my black hawk i did several years ago, i only used water on the rivets, and after the paint was done you can see clearly the carrier film around the rivets, thta is why i used solvaset on my LB and the carrier film is not visible at all .

Jorge