1:144 scale SH-3G Sea King (Sweet)

Here are a few photos of the early stages of construction of the model presently at the modeling bench.
It's a Sea King, produced by Sweet Model, in their usual 1:144 scale. It is a very nice model, but the winch is not that great (compared with the rest of the model).
So with that in mind I also decided to detail some other bits!

The fuselage was glued together with little problem.
i9kbFF2.jpg
q3jZgon.jpg
iI0VBNe.jpg

The exhausts were drilled out and a brass tube was glued in an angle.
XJLlWPr.jpg
8whsZIx.jpg
pZqKJ8L.jpg

The tail rotor was detailed using the blades from the 6bladed rotor (also included in the kit) and a scratch built hub (using brass rod and pe leftovers). You can see the original kit's part on the right.
VFUaqjt.jpg

I hope to post more soon.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com

Here's a quick update!

The main landing gear is being upgraded. The photo shows the original kit part on the right and the improved version on the left.

qwAoa81.jpg

The gear structure was mostly built from plastic rod and thin plastic card. The wheels are the kit parts after being cut from the original part and turned in order to make them circular and concentric with the wheel hub. I'll try to post a step-by-step of this process in my blog, during this next weekend.

Cheers

Marco Preto

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I could not get away from the idea of opening the fuselage windows!
They were marked with a pencil and carved out, replacing them by items cut from 0.5mm clear plastic.

IjWQpLd.jpg
22SXKuK.jpg
Nj33tgI.jpg
Aita1I7.jpg
tW8uNdn.jpg
OfDTU4s.jpg
dyKJ74J.jpg
55nyuHu.jpg
XwUivOe.jpg
4yozaDX.jpg

Primer was applied to check for imperfections and cover the clear parts (from inside they will show black color. The radar/sensor on the cockpit front was turned from brass rod.
XhoysYg.jpg
gfE4Jyw.jpg

The winch is also being scratchbuilt (I still need to build the support). The photo shows the comparison between the kit's part and the part I've turned and machined from brass rod. I will make a post (in a couple of weeks, if I manage) on my blog detailing the winch construction.
Aph2ybs.jpg

Cheers

Marco Preto

• 3 months later...
After a few months away from this model (I needed to complete another model), here are a few photos of the small progress done this last weekend.

The winch was completed, using plastic card and copper wire (besides the main turned brass part I have previously shown).
VOx7LYT.jpg

The main rotor was also detailed, scratch building the rotor hub.
ZE7Lijk.jpg

TwPyfN2.jpg

E08o8gP.jpg

And here is a photo of the model with the wheels, tail and main rotor dry fitted.
a55T53t.jpg

Cheers

Marco Preto

Admire the skills you have for such a delicate scale to build in. Reminds me of train modelling I did in H0, 1/87 comparing to 1/32 I need a microscope for the first, glasses already need extra scope doing 1/32. But I see it as a challenge to pickup one of those 1/144 kits. See how it works for me.

Keep up the good modelling!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• 2 months later...