The future of group builds?

I disagree a little with that point. I always saw a lot of enthusiasm when the GB started (and it was good to have some waiting time, so you can purchase kits and so on), but the Mojo usually died down after 2 months. I don´t see that this won´t happen if we´d start a GB right away.

HAJO

I also agree that reducing the wait time would help keep people from losing interest before the GB even starts.  I think that there needs to be more group in the group builds.  Look at the number of views versus the number of replies for the builds and you will see that there isn't a lot of motivation being provided by the group.  Lately I don't really see that I am getting anymore feedback/interaction from GB's than I do from just doing my own thing and posting some pictures of the completed kits.

2 hours ago, airmechaja said:

I'm not sure what we should be trying to convince Neo of?

1.  Shorter lead times

2.  Shorter run times

Please finish the list.

He's the one that controls the button to open and close gb threads.

The rolling start scheduling was his idea, so talk to him.

Hey guys 

The rolling star is to make this more simple to manage and make it a habbit to chek out what new is comming at regular intervals.

I think one of the best way to revive the GB would be for us 3 mods to run them for a while. 

The idea would be

1. rolling start

2. 1 gb start at the time(they will overlap by defaut with the rolling calendar)

3. pool 1 month before the start to vote on the next gb

4 start the gb and enjoy. 

5 go back to 2

I think this will do two thing 1 solve the exitment issue and 2 have a larger group participate since its one to 2 focus.

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Hey guys 

The rolling star is to make this more simple to manage and make it a habbit to chek out what new is comming at regular intervals.

I think one of the best way to revive the GB would be for us 3 mods to run them for a while. 

The idea would be

1. rolling start

2. 1 gb start at the time(they will overlap by defaut with the rolling calendar)

3. pool 1 month before the start to vote on the next gb

4 start the gb and enjoy. 

5 go back to 2

I think this will do two thing 1 solve the exitment issue and 2 have a larger group participate since its one to 2 focus.

Perhaps something got lost in translation, but isn't what you're proposing, exactly the same as what we have now? 

Neo, lets just start the idea you tossed to the two of us. Crank it out for August 1. We can run it. Keep that TopGun on line (it sounds good) with the mod who volunteered.

Then crank up a vote for someone who wants to run a GB. Perhaps a couple guys step up, say I want "A Phantom GB" (who doesn't?) Guy 2 suggests "A Tamiya GB" Guy 3 suggests "Matchbox"

The vote happens, one wins. (obviously the Phantom) Start the GB the first of the next month. Then every month , we vote on whatever GBs people want to run. One a month. Of course you can re-submit every month. Most will win one day.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Neo, lets just start the idea you tossed to the two of us. Crank it out for August 1. We can run it. Keep that TopGun on line (it sounds good) with the mod who volunteered.

Then crank up a vote for someone who wants to run a GB. Perhaps a couple guys step up, say I want "A Phantom GB" (who doesn't?) Guy 2 suggests "A Tamiya GB" Guy 3 suggests "Matchbox"

The vote happens, one wins. (obviously the Phantom) Start the GB the first of the next month. Then every month , we vote on whatever GBs people want to run. One a month. Of course you can re-submit every month. Most will win one day.

I say we try it. Maybe you can make a new topic in the GB section of the forums called "Group build submissions" and we can pitch the ideas to you.

I am in favor of whatever you guys decide to do to restart the GB's.  I will let Phantom and Neo decide what is best.....I trust their council very much.

Sorry for being so out of touch.  I'm working long hours to support my daughter in a different city as she attends university.  I have 2 full time jobs plus I do ARC.  I'm in the midst of tourist season and one of my jobs is related to that and rather seasonal.

Ok lets try it

Can you guys give us 2-3 ideas ill start a pool run it for i week then start the gb with most votes

Example

Revell madness

Pure OOB

Bare metal

Ect

@SBARC Steve do you mind if i bring the gb section to be right under aviation section?

Here are the ones I have had in my head since this discussion began. Simple concepts with broad appeal. 

Monogram memorial (maybe revell USA too... Something to celebrate the life and influence of monogram and revell )

Phantoms (f-4 phantom II any scale/variant)

World war II aircraft

I will participate in and  lead any of these.

Edited by Kurt H.

I like the idea of a Revell-Monogram memorial GB.

Another with broad appeal might be a 1970s themed build. Squadrons in 1970s markings (any Nation)

And finally; since it is the centennial, a WW I build. Might help some get over their fear of biplanes.

TL;DR version:

-Revell-Monogram Memorial

-It Came from the Seventies

-The Great War

50 minutes ago, RKic said:

Another with broad appeal might be a 1970s themed build. Squadrons in 1970s markings (any Nation)

I like this idea,  Even excluding Bicentennial specials, some Navy and Marine Corps squadrons had some very interesting schemes in the 70s. I think 80% of my decal hoard qualifies for this  idea.

I like the Revell/Monogram memorial GB because the possibilities would appeal to pretty much all ARC'ers and it could help jumpstart the GB interest around here. I think it should allow any aircraft, spacecraft, car, ship, monster kit, armor, figures, Sci-Fi etc that was a Revell or Monogram original (no reboxings of other manufacturers kits... which there aren't that many). It would therefore touch all of ARC's main modeling categories. Allow OOB, aftermarket, scratch built additions, and even partially started kits. Keep it broad and open to help generate interest and more importantly participation. Perhaps we could tryout some of the ideas suggested in this thread for the GB too.

Again, just my two cents.

Regards all.

25 minutes ago, Don said:

I like the Revell/Monogram memorial GB because the possibilities would appeal to pretty much all ARC'ers and it could help jumpstart the GB interest around here. I think it should allow any aircraft, spacecraft, car, ship, monster kit, armor, figures, Sci-Fi etc that was a Revell or Monogram original (no reboxings of other manufacturers kits... which there aren't that many). It would therefore touch all of ARC's main modeling categories. Allow OOB, aftermarket, scratch built additions, and even partially started kits. Keep it broad and open to help generate interest and more importantly participation. Perhaps we could tryout some of the ideas suggested in this thread for the GB too.

Again, just my two cents.

Regards all.

Actually, Neo told me this idea last week, you great minds seem to think alike!

Yup, I agree with you Don and Rkic ... the Revell-Monogram theme works for us Real Space modellers too.

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the First Lunar Landing and while I could also build a few more Revellogram kits in the Real Space Forum, I think a GB including us, would be a good kick start.

This is a very interesting thread. I am not on Facebook or Insta or anything besides here on ARC and have wondered where everybody went ... ah-h-h ignorance is bliss!

Pete

1 minute ago, K2Pete said:

. I am not on Facebook or Insta or anything besides here on ARC and have wondered where everybody went ... ah-h-h ignorance is bliss!

Pete

I wish we never started the Facebook page. Many may argue that is has separated the wheat from the chaff, but that isn't really true. There are a lot of talented builders posting stuff there, and not here. 

And if it was here, it would become a more or less permanent archive. There it just vanishes in the noise. Too bad.