A few observations on decal reviews in magazines

I have been thinking of this for some time now and really never had the nerve to post this. Oh well here goes.

So whenever I have been in Indigio/Chapters here in Canada, I always peruse the model magazines as I am sure most of us do in whatever book store you frequent. Over the last few years, okay probably longer than that, I have noticed a strange way that many of these magazines handle decal reviews.

Maybe you have noticed this too but the decal reviews are mostly some text and then a picture of the decal sheet. To me this is not helpful. I would much prefer a picture of the schemes that the decal sheet gives you. Not even concerned with seeing the sheet itself as I would assume that the decal company would give you the markings necessary. I am speaking of aircraft decals here by the way. Anyway, to me, seeing the side profiles of the subjects is way more helpful to entice me to actually pick up the decal.

For example do any of the schemes have a wild camo scheme or day-glo? Is it a natural metal scheme? Is there some really cool nose art with an odd paint job? You know what I am getting at. Yes I know the reviewer probably tells you what the scheme is in the text but not the same in my mind. That glance at the side view profiles when you flip through the magazine makes you stop and have a closer look. Now it seems that not all magazines do this but now that I know it is out there I am seeing it more and more. There are a few magazines that do show side profiles with a much smaller shot of the decal sheet. Fine by me. Yes I realize it is an editorial decision as space is a premium in the magazines so they have to make a choice. Also, if the picture of the decal sheet has a bunch of roundels and numbers does this actually tell you that the manufacturer has given you all green schemes or all grey schemes?

So this is just my observation and thanks for letting me get this off of my chest.

Edited by skyhawk174

I agree. If the magazine is advertising the sheet (and that is the main point of model mags anymore), they should show the schemes.

Being told I can model a stuffenwagnerjager 4 bf-109 from some sheet may mean nothing to all but the subject experts.

But seeing that bf-109 with nose art of a skull riding a motorcycle down a road made of lighting; well, that might catch many readers' attention.

Remember - skull motorcycle sells more copy.

Edited by RKic

I agree 100% with skyhawk174. I would add, though, that a picture of the sheet does help somewhat so you can can see whether national markings and stencils are included. But, definitely, the actual schemes is what will make me decide whether or not to buy a given sheet.

I completely agree that profiles would be nice. However, the magazine is not advertising the sheet, they are reviewing the sheet. I think the biggest thing is space. Space in a printed magazine is a premium, and printing the profiles takes up that much more space. The magazine isn't trying to get you to buy the sheet, they are simply informing you of its existence and any pros and cons about it. Whether you buy it or not is up to you.

7 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I completely agree that profiles would be nice. However, the magazine is not advertising the sheet, they are reviewing the sheet.

For print magazines, I can sort of understand that, however at this point, the they're missing a golden opportunity to drive people to their digital spaces by not tagging their reviews with "for more pics and information, go to our website".  And something like a cover sheet image rather than the decal itself would probably be more useful in that regard (assuming that it shows profiles).  Then again, plenty of blogs, webzines and other on-line outlets do the same thing - list the subjects, show the decal sheet, but don't actually show what the subjects LOOK like - and they really don't have much excuse.

My biggest complaint is when decal companies don't show profiles on their website.  They do have the space, and they are trying to sell product, but they're just annoying potential customers by making them dig around to find out what the hell is on the decal sheet.

1 hour ago, MoFo said:

For print magazines, I can sort of understand that, however at this point, the they're missing a golden opportunity to drive people to their digital spaces by not tagging their reviews with "for more pics and information, go to our website".  And something like a cover sheet image rather than the decal itself would probably be more useful in that regard (assuming that it shows profiles).  Then again, plenty of blogs, webzines and other on-line outlets do the same thing - list the subjects, show the decal sheet, but don't actually show what the subjects LOOK like - and they really don't have much excuse.

My biggest complaint is when decal companies don't show profiles on their website.  They do have the space, and they are trying to sell product, but they're just annoying potential customers by making them dig around to find out what the hell is on the decal sheet.

Agree completely MoFo. That annoys me to no end when the decal company itself doesn't have full profiles and images of the decal sheet. I'd even go further and say they should have the instruction sheets posted as well.

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Agree completely MoFo. That annoys me to no end when the decal company itself doesn't have full profiles and images of the decal sheet. I'd even go further and say they should have the instruction sheets posted as well.

You know you would think that if it is difficult to see what your product looks like how can you even contemplate buying it? Strange. Sites like Caracal and Two Bobs show everything. Seeing the schemes sure made me buy some sheets I really had no intention of picking up.

I know some manufacturers are afraid of getting their stuff copied but then you could put some sort of watermark right?

I third the opinion of manufacturers to include profiles, and if posted make them large enough to see. And I'd add my other peeve is not including any date, even approximate, for the schemes, bonus for also rough location. 

As a result I've always inclued large-ish profiles of all AOA schemes online with dates or at least range as much as possible. And a year or so ago I switched to making them more typical by including profiles on cover as well to make it easier to immediately see. 

32 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

I third the opinion of manufacturers to include profiles, and if posted make them large enough to see. And I'd add my other peeve is not including any date, even approximate, for the schemes, bonus for also rough location. 

As a result I've always inclued large-ish profiles of all AOA schemes online with dates or at least range as much as possible. And a year or so ago I switched to making them more typical by including profiles on cover as well to make it easier to immediately see. 

Steve your decals are amazing. Love the way you layout the profiles and all the info you provide. I think you have found a great niche for subjects that have been neglected for so many years.

Happy customer here, too. I especially like all the stencil and placement guides included. I got two copies of the USMC A-6 sheets in 1/72,,,,I use the CD as a reference for all of my A-6 models,,,,and the multiple BuNos and Nose Modex numbers as part of the "scratch parts" for decaling everything that I have to make up that was never done by a decal company. 

I did that with an F-4 sheet and an F-8 sheet,,,,between all of them, I can make up just about any model from A-1 to F-111, without having to use those "straight up" numbers that most number sheets come with.