Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
Brett M

Bandai T-65 X Wing...Rogue One?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone

 

After completing the Enterprise C (okay, during final completion) I started on this 1/72 X Wing kit. Compared to the AMT/Ertl Enterprise, this thing is a dream. Everything fit's perfectly, no gaps and glue really isn't need.....everything fits that tight. 

 

I've mostly finished the cockpit, though the plumbing needs more detail and the pilots seat needs weathering....and a pilot. I haven't painted figures since I built models in back when I was 10 (so, 25+ years ago) so I'm not really thrilled about that. But, I have made a good start on the wings. I've gone for a similar scheme to the Blue squadron from Rogue One, though I'm sure it won't be an exact match. I've been painting each panel one at a time, to hopefully make them look...well, like panels. More to come as progress is made. Feel free to comment. 

 

Cockpit area.....small. I'm used to 1/48 or 1/32 aircraft, so this is TINY to me. 

 

43283641252_32d465e465_b.jpg

 

29463749378_9abf537edc_b.jpg

 

43283641552_82b95a3b07_b.jpg

 

29463749618_c06dcdd3a5_b.jpg

 

Wings. I tried to use Micro Mask to obtain chipping results, but after spraying a light coat of Floquil UP Armour Yellow, the stuff wouldn't rub off. Maybe the lacquer paint ate into it? Guesses? 

Chipping with pencils for now; first time I've tried this, I suppose it looks okay. 

 

43283642212_4846abcec8_b.jpg

 

43283641852_53f21dc62e_b.jpg

 

29463750068_dd716bc128_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More wing progress......any comments?

 

42630432764_bbd9578bfe_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on recovering the chipping. I've never been a fan of liquid masks, so maybe try the water/salt technique. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

The cockpit looks great!
The color pencil chipping turned out nice too. :thumbsup:

 

7 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Nice job on recovering the chipping. I've never been a fan of liquid masks, so maybe try the water/salt technique. 

 

 

Thanks, both of you. Pencil chipping definitely isn't the best (but it's my first try), I appreciate the comments. 

I'll give salt weathering a try on my next jet. I have another Has 1/48 F-14 Tomcat ready to go :)

 

And another shot from this evening. Blowing up the images this big definitely shows flaws, glad this is a 1/72 kit!

Now I need to decide if I go with white engines, ala Rogue One. Or.....more metallic, gunmetal style....hmmmm. Comments always are welcome. 

 

43305354532_9b64032572_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking good Brett!

With the engines, you could try a darker base colour like Tamiya's Dark Iron (XF-64 I think). I love it myself - its a great starting block and looks good as it is. Or even Gunze Steel Red? Either one is a good engine starting point and work lighter as you go.

BTW - It's a welcome break to see an X-Wing that isn't Red 5 for a change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

looking good Brett!

With the engines, you could try a darker base colour like Tamiya's Dark Iron (XF-64 I think). I love it myself - its a great starting block and looks good as it is. Or even Gunze Steel Red? Either one is a good engine starting point and work lighter as you go.

BTW - It's a welcome break to see an X-Wing that isn't Red 5 for a change

 

That's what the way I'm leaning as well. The white, grimy engines in the movie just seems...odd. A dark metallic, dirty engine makes more sense. I'll have to hit the LHS and see if they have either of those colors in stock.

 

Something different is always good! I didn't want to do the standard Red 5....though when I told my wife (who bought me the kit) that it wasn't Luke's......I got the sad face lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a big update, but at least one wing is almost completely painted, top and bottom. Definitely more weathering to do and grime to add for the area where the landing gear doors are. 

Anyway, small update, but an update none the less! Comments and critiques are welcome!

 

41692047710_5dc59c13d0_b.jpg

 

41692047850_4f47eab830_b.jpg

 

28613662957_ce55f759f9_b.jpg

 

 

Thanks for looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think I do a particularly good job on weathering, adding grime, etc. Looking for any tips or suggestions here.....

 

I tried to dirty up where the landing gear doors are, figuring that ground crew would be grabbing the doors and we'd see leaks and junk all over the outside. 

 

43534207021_521f7d23f8_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you’re being a little harsh on yourself - this is looking really good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, GMK said:

I think you’re being a little harsh on yourself - this is looking really good! 

 

Thanks, I appreciate it!

 

So, engines painted up and highlighted with MM aluminum. Looking pretty decent so far I suppose. Thanks for the comments so far, let me know what you think of the recent updates. 

 

28751846227_5ef55040d9_b.jpg

 

43638801291_137de7ab33_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is coming along GREAT! I love the weathering. And that cockpit is wonderful for a 1/32 or larger kit much less this small a scale. Great job!

 

BTW, I like the newer metal look on the engines. Much better and add much more interest.

 

Bill

Edited by niart17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, niart17 said:

This is coming along GREAT! I love the weathering. And that cockpit is wonderful for a 1/32 or larger kit much less this small a scale. Great job!

 

BTW, I like the newer metal look on the engines. Much better and add much more interest.

 

Bill

 

Thanks! I don't think I'll make them too dirty. But, adding a bit of clear blue and clear orange to give the metal a heated look. 

 

43654693721_689b11c917_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small update, second wing coming along slowly. Vacations and remodels taking up time!

 

43909042761_a9abf51a03_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More updates. I'm moving at a snails pace with this one. But, wings are done, minus the lasers(?) on the tips. 

 

Let me know what you think, if you see something that could be improved, or think it's junk 😉

Always welcome for comments!

43377626694_a3677ff1c4_b.jpg

 

42287117770_a6f020510e_b.jpg

 

42287117580_5b193f4db1_b.jpg

 

43377626504_17354e0c5b_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks awesome Brett! Its a much nicer scheme than the usual Red 5 etc. 

The engines are my favourite bit. They just look right.

Im looking forward to seeing the end result 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2018 at 6:29 PM, The Madhatter said:

That looks awesome Brett! Its a much nicer scheme than the usual Red 5 etc. 

The engines are my favourite bit. They just look right.

Im looking forward to seeing the end result 

Thanks!

 

More weekend progress. Finally looks like an X Wing!

 

42328789160_6b3b51d307_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally an update! Still moving forward, if slowly. I realllllly need to get the pilot done and the canopy on so I can finish this up. 

 

Comments are welcome, pointers, anything. 

 

44438610961_2d4547efa3_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is shaping up to be one attractive model. Be it "prototype" or not, the dark metal engines with lighter drybrushed plumbing look good - their location and coloring practically shout "I am engine!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2018 at 9:18 PM, southwestforests said:

This is shaping up to be one attractive model. Be it "prototype" or not, the dark metal engines with lighter drybrushed plumbing look good - their location and coloring practically shout "I am engine!"

 

More and more

 

42673345110_6beaa539a2_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah - that X-Wing is rocking!! I love those colours - they really suit the fighter nicely. They look right for it and I don't think any other ship could wear it as nicely. This has been one of my favourite X-Wing builds in a long time because it's not over weathered

 

What colour are you going to paint the canopy? Personally I'd go with darker than the base colour of the body. Maybe the light gray you used on them bottom there? But that's just me and my 2c - I'm just keen to see the end result no matter what you do.

 

Can't be far to go now? Looking forward to seeing more

Cheers

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Oh yeah - that X-Wing is rocking!! I love those colours - they really suit the fighter nicely. They look right for it and I don't think any other ship could wear it as nicely. This has been one of my favourite X-Wing builds in a long time because it's not over weathered

 

What colour are you going to paint the canopy? Personally I'd go with darker than the base colour of the body. Maybe the light gray you used on them bottom there? But that's just me and my 2c - I'm just keen to see the end result no matter what you do.

 

Can't be far to go now? Looking forward to seeing more

Cheers

Si

Thanks! I'm liking this build too, nice and straight forward with this Bandai kit. Definitely not trying to go crazy with the weathering either. I like the cleaner look, and.....I'm not that great with weathering. :)

 

Canopy, you're thinking right along the same lines as me. I've seen some with dark grey canopies with a light body and they look weird to me. I'll be doing a lighter grey, something that contrasts from the body, but not crazy. Hopefully get that done and some light scratching/dings on the body this weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So close......almost have to decide if I want decals (haven't looked at them since I started) or just leave it as is. 

 

Little guy hiding in the cockpit.....


29605120077_bf24c7ec15_b.jpg

 

29605119937_1c61418fd3_b.jpg

 

30672857928_7614a602f6_b.jpg

 

29605119687_a7647af982_b.jpg

 

29605120327_886946e994_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

I reckon just leave it as is. Or maybe a few technical placards or something? 

 

I thought the decals had some placards, but it looks like I was wrong. 

 

Just needs an Astromech now! Then on to finished pics. 

 

29624726807_4c2eb3b48d_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×