ARC Discussion Forums
Brett M

Bandai T-65 X Wing...Rogue One?

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone

After completing the Enterprise C (okay, during final completion) I started on this 1/72 X Wing kit. Compared to the AMT/Ertl Enterprise, this thing is a dream. Everything fit's perfectly, no gaps and glue really isn't need.....everything fits that tight. 

I've mostly finished the cockpit, though the plumbing needs more detail and the pilots seat needs weathering....and a pilot. I haven't painted figures since I built models in back when I was 10 (so, 25+ years ago) so I'm not really thrilled about that. But, I have made a good start on the wings. I've gone for a similar scheme to the Blue squadron from Rogue One, though I'm sure it won't be an exact match. I've been painting each panel one at a time, to hopefully make them look...well, like panels. More to come as progress is made. Feel free to comment. 

Cockpit area.....small. I'm used to 1/48 or 1/32 aircraft, so this is TINY to me. 

43283641252_32d465e465_b.jpg

29463749378_9abf537edc_b.jpg

43283641552_82b95a3b07_b.jpg

29463749618_c06dcdd3a5_b.jpg

Wings. I tried to use Micro Mask to obtain chipping results, but after spraying a light coat of Floquil UP Armour Yellow, the stuff wouldn't rub off. Maybe the lacquer paint ate into it? Guesses? 

Chipping with pencils for now; first time I've tried this, I suppose it looks okay. 

43283642212_4846abcec8_b.jpg

43283641852_53f21dc62e_b.jpg

29463750068_dd716bc128_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M

More wing progress......any comments?

42630432764_bbd9578bfe_b.jpg

Nice job on recovering the chipping. I've never been a fan of liquid masks, so maybe try the water/salt technique. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

The cockpit looks great!
The color pencil chipping turned out nice too. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Nice job on recovering the chipping. I've never been a fan of liquid masks, so maybe try the water/salt technique. 

Thanks, both of you. Pencil chipping definitely isn't the best (but it's my first try), I appreciate the comments. 

I'll give salt weathering a try on my next jet. I have another Has 1/48 F-14 Tomcat ready to go :)

And another shot from this evening. Blowing up the images this big definitely shows flaws, glad this is a 1/72 kit!

Now I need to decide if I go with white engines, ala Rogue One. Or.....more metallic, gunmetal style....hmmmm. Comments always are welcome. 

43305354532_9b64032572_b.jpg

Edited by Brett M

looking good Brett!

With the engines, you could try a darker base colour like Tamiya's Dark Iron (XF-64 I think). I love it myself - its a great starting block and looks good as it is. Or even Gunze Steel Red? Either one is a good engine starting point and work lighter as you go.

BTW - It's a welcome break to see an X-Wing that isn't Red 5 for a change

4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

looking good Brett!

With the engines, you could try a darker base colour like Tamiya's Dark Iron (XF-64 I think). I love it myself - its a great starting block and looks good as it is. Or even Gunze Steel Red? Either one is a good engine starting point and work lighter as you go.

BTW - It's a welcome break to see an X-Wing that isn't Red 5 for a change

That's what the way I'm leaning as well. The white, grimy engines in the movie just seems...odd. A dark metallic, dirty engine makes more sense. I'll have to hit the LHS and see if they have either of those colors in stock.

Something different is always good! I didn't want to do the standard Red 5....though when I told my wife (who bought me the kit) that it wasn't Luke's......I got the sad face lol

Not a big update, but at least one wing is almost completely painted, top and bottom. Definitely more weathering to do and grime to add for the area where the landing gear doors are. 

Anyway, small update, but an update none the less! Comments and critiques are welcome!

41692047710_5dc59c13d0_b.jpg

41692047850_4f47eab830_b.jpg

28613662957_ce55f759f9_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.