Decals for 1/32 VA-75 Sunday Punchers A-6 Intruders (part 1 & 2)

Here's more 1/32 A-6 Intruder AOA decals sheets. Similar to the previous VA-65 Tigers sheets, this release again only covers one squadron, this time VA-75 Sunday Punchers, spanning Vietnam to Desert Storm:

32-027 (Part 1):

Includes two sets of basic schemes, both CAG and line jet schemes included. First pair (A-6A) cover their third and final Vietnam deployment and the next pair (A-6E) cover their more well known postwar white tail scheme. Includes markings for MER identifications as well as fuel tank markings.

Also included is a new expanded release of the complete A-6 stencil/marking sheet (32-026) which supersedes the original (32-002), this new sheet also includes a landing gear placards, walkway striping, and a few other minor additions. As before, it will also be available for purchase separately.

32-028 (Part 2):

A relatively small sheet covering two low viz schemes from the late 80s to the Desert Storm period. Decals also included for fuel tanks, tailhooks, ejection seats, ladder wells, landing gear, and speed brake interiors.

www.AOAdecals.com

32-027

COVER-32027.jpg

32027.jpg

and 32-027 includes new 32-026:

32026.jpg

32-028

COVER-32028.jpg

32028.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos
On 7/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Darren and know I specifically went into the project with the intention to include a tanker and B to take advantage of your conversion sets but unfortunately i had to cut them. Couldn't do it without providing a second sheet that would've added to the cost.

2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

Thanks Darren and know I specifically went into the project with the intention to include a tanker and B to take advantage of your conversion sets but unfortunately i had to cut them. Couldn't do it without providing a second sheet that would've added to the cost.

No worries. Thanks for thinking of me! Do you know why VA-75 switched from the correct green trim color of the 5XX series to the blue and yellow? I see it in their squadron patch, but 1975 seems early to break from the color coding system. 

12 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

No worries. Thanks for thinking of me! Do you know why VA-75 switched from the correct green trim color of the 5XX series to the blue and yellow? I see it in their squadron patch, but 1975 seems early to break from the color coding system. 

After their 1972-73 Vietnam deployment, when exactly in 1973 I'm not sure.

There seemed to be switches from the official colors prior to that, I know of at least some other squadrons I've already covered had switched even earlier. VA-196 stayed with the int'l red when they switched to the 5xx series from 4xx in 1969 and stayed they stayed with that color with 5xx of course. VA-65 in 1966 had the 4xx int'l and appropriately changed to green in 1967 when they went to 5xx (and also changed their insignia background), but in 1968 they went back to int'l orange even though they stayed in 5xx series (although they kept their prior 1967 green background to their insignia). For F-4s, VF-143 switched from their red 1xx to blue and keeping 1xx for their 1972-73 and also remained blue from then on. I'm sure there are other cases but these are some that I know of the top of my head where the colors had shifted by the later 1960s.

24 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

oops, I see I misread your question as "when" not "why". I'm not sure other than like you said blue/yellow were already their insignia colors? Maybe by the early 70s there was less restrictiveness on the official coloring?

19 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

will we later see these in smaller scales? 

gary

Ideally, yes. When, not sure. 1/48 seems less likely actually than 1/72 in this case considering the abundance of A-6 decals from various decal people already in 1/48 and I know VA-75 has been covered in 1/48 by others, maybe not these exact same ones but similar.

Awesome info guys. Thanks! VF-143 went to blue because originally they were the 3rd squadron in the air wing with blue trim. It seems like a lot of squadrons started using their original, traditional colors by the mid-late 60's. I love NavAir!

Darren, I blame the A-7 units, lol. With all of those "VA-X6" and especially the "VA-X7" units created for the Corsair IIs, coupled with the sudden and fairly rapid disestablishment of A-4 and etc units,,,,the system was completely messed up by 1970-1973 or so.

Then as Steve says, all of those units that kept their traditional colors (or went back to them), as the units moved around to fill in the gaps and the new lower number of Air Wings,,,,,well, as you have seen, all bets are off. One wonders why the Navy even gave the color chart in the 1971.10.27 Painting Spec,,,,since almost no one even followed it.

(VF-114 and VF-143 are prime examples of completely ignoring it)

2 minutes ago, EagleAviation said:

Thank you for the quick response. May I ask what are you willing to release in 1/32nd regarding the A-6E? 

Other than the Es I've already released and these new VA-75 ones, I have a few others I'd like to cover but don't want to say at this time. The only ones I'll say no to though are the 90s upgraded composite wing schemes since there's no kit/conversion.

2 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

Other than the Es I've already released and these new VA-75 ones, I have a few others I'd like to cover but don't want to say at this time. The only ones I'll say no to though are the 90s upgraded composite wing schemes since there's no kit/conversion.

OK, I am only interested in hi-vis schemes for my 32nd model so I will wait to see what is next! Thank you! 

49 minutes ago, ziggyfoos said:

I'm a bit ignorant in A-6 info. How hard would it be to make a conversion for the wing? It's my understanding the only visual difference is the wingfold, but like I said, I'm ignorant of A-6 details.

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm a bit ignorant in A-6 info. How hard would it be to make a conversion for the wing? It's my understanding the only visual difference is the wingfold, but like I said, I'm ignorant of A-6 details.

ya and the outer pylon is beefed up since it has part of wingfold mechanism.

To clarify too what I said earlier, doing decals for the composite wing schemes are way down on my to-do list even if there is a conversion, as in I'd doubt I'd do any, hopefully others will of course if you do decide to do a set.

That's a great shame about the Tanker version being dropped, however I'll buy the set just for the stencils alone (unless you'd release them separately)?

Awwome set of markings though, well done sir.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, Wafu said:

That's a great shame about the Tanker version being dropped, however I'll buy the set just for the stencils alone (unless you'd release them separately)?.

Yes, the stencils will be available as 32-026 in Sept, or as 32-002 that is available now.

On 9 August 2018 at 8:36 PM, ziggyfoos said:

Yes, the stencils will be available as 32-026 in Sept, or as 32-002 that is available now.

Thats great news, a date in my e-diary👍