SU-57 not going into mass production a Russian defeat

There is just so much more to these types of decisions. Sanctions on Russia are having an effect, without a doubt, but other factors come into play too, such as short and long term defense priorities, infrastructure and supply chain, etc. These kinds of articles almost never delve any more deeply than the surface. One is better to read reports put out by think tanks and NGOs, who cite their sources and include material from both sides of the geopolitical divide.

19 hours ago, habu2 said:

businessinsider.com       :whistle:

'nuff said

True but it seems the Russian DefMin said it first.

IMO, they weren't able to get any of that Indian money to keep this project running.

Edited by kaz

News of this sort appear in yellow press already as more, than year - thiere no official release of Russian MoD, now in tests pre-serial T-50s with second stage engine, after this will produce small batch of aircrats for test operation and even after this will make decision about state order of Su-57 (how much and when). 

As example - 12 serial Su-57 from first batch will put to Lipetsk RuAF center, first will donate in 2019.

And sanctions here is not at all - in military aircrafts in Russia  not used outboard components.

Edited by kotey
16 hours ago, kaz said:

True but it seems the Russian DefMin said it first.

Russian DefMin said it would not go into production.

business insider quoted him, speculated on the reason(s) and then sensationalized the story.    That is their modus operandi.

Guaranteed the Russian DefMin did NOT say "we failed" or "we admit defeat"......

So, I've read the Business Insider article, the original "The Diplomat" article and, being fairly fluent in Russian, I also listened to the original video interview with the Deputy Defense Minister. The original The Diplomat article was actually relatively balanced, discussing what the deputy defense minister said and then discussing the reasons and implications. I don't think his interpretation of everything the minister said is 100% accurate, but overall I think it is a fairly informative article:

https://thediplomat.com/2018/07/russia-will-not-mass-produce-5th-generation-stealth-fighter-jet/

It is not completely clear to me from the interview exactly what the deputy minister meant (maybe Kotey can fill us in since it is his native language). However, regardless of his exact words, for me it wasn't clear whether he meant: "no mass serial production ever", "no serial production ever" (i.e. serial production but in limited numbers) or "no mass production until all issues are fully sorted out". It appears the pre-production run of 12 aircraft will still go ahead. Listening to the rest of the interview, the deputy defense minister's arguments for this cautious approach appeared to be well thought through and pretty logical in relation to the large number of projects currently being run in Russia. One should remember that despite their increased spending, their defense budget is still only about 1/10th the US defense budget.

Business Insider then took the "The Diplomat" article, recalled every negative article they had written about it in the last few years and went to town. The only good thing I can say about the Business Insider article is that they still didn't reach the levels of  the likes of this Sunday Express article:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/969994/russia-stealth-fighter-jet-features-su-57-photos-radars-beaming

They took a recent Business Insider article of the Su-57's stealth features, and got this headline out of it:

"Russia’s new STEALTH jet exposed as a fraud which will NEVER see mass production".

As always, getting the facts from the media is very difficult, even if you do try to read every article critically and cross-checking as much as possible. In the end, I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see where this project is going.

As i saw earlier main theme of all real, (not fake) news for Su-57 - "time will tell" - now only one thing is clear - first serial batch will be 12 aircrfats., at least two of them will donate to Lipetsk center in 2019, after few years of test operation will make a disicision how many Su-57s will order.  As says Russians - "better a tomtit in your hand than a crane in the sky".

Anyway quantity of Su-57s aircarft in production will not much more, than Su-35Ss and Su-30SMs , which now choose as main fighter aircrafts for RuAF,  and in next few years completely will replace Su-27s and Su-27SMs (both of this types (Su-35Ss and Su-30SMs) now operated in RuAF in quantity of more, than 70-100 aircrafts of each type).

From Russia with love to aviation...

Sincerely yours, Andrey Kotkov,
Begemot Decals
www.begemotdecals.ru

Edited by kotey

Thanks Kotey. It seems I understood the interview correctly then, and the articles blew it completely out of proportion. As I said, the original "The Diplomat" article (referenced above) appeared quite accurate and level headed. This was clearly not the case for the articles that it triggered, like the one on Business Insider.

I appreciate the clarity the both of you, @kotey and @Mfezi, have provided to this topic. My original intent of posting said article was not to ignite any sort of political debate as others have taken it as, but to just bring light to it as a) it is a fifth generation aircraft of significance and b) this is an aircraft (modeling) forum. Thanks again for the insight!

10 hours ago, Whiskey said:

The article was one of the first to publish the story so if it was bad reporting fine.

I'm sorry, but in my opinion bad reporting is never "fine".