Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Deke

A-10 Question

Recommended Posts

Anybody know what year the A-10 started carrying the AIM-9?  I know they had by Desert Storm, but I'm wondering what year they started showing up.

 

Deke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around 1985, when they went to depot to get the INS mod, is when they got the AIM-9 mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, boom175 said:

Around 1985, when they went to depot to get the INS mod, is when they got the AIM-9 mod.

 

This might vary by unit. I was a weapons puke with the 18th TFS at Eielson AFB Alaska during the mid to late 80's, and during that time, I never saw a single Sidewinder, or Dual Rail Adapter, nor were we trained on them. I got out in 1987, and I'm sure that they got them afterwards, but not before for sure. HTH, Fred K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info.  It sounds like I would be safe adding it to a kit representing a late 89/early 90 jet.

 

Deke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1985 was the beginning, We took the only 5 jets with INS to gunsmoke with us. Probably took 2 years for al the jets to go through Depot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an A-10 Instructor with the "Flying Tigers at England AFB, LA, my first logbook entry with AIM-9's was in March, 1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:54 AM, f5guy said:

 

This might vary by unit. I was a weapons puke with the 18th TFS at Eielson AFB Alaska during the mid to late 80's, and during that time, I never saw a single Sidewinder, or Dual Rail Adapter, nor were we trained on them. I got out in 1987, and I'm sure that they got them afterwards, but not before for sure. HTH, Fred K.

Hey Fred.   I was at Eielson Airplane Patch from '84 to '86!   We certainly shared some of that ice fog together!

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Hey Fred.   I was at Eielson Airplane Patch from '84 to '86!   We certainly shared some of that ice fog together!

 

Don

 

Hi Don,

     Aaahhhhh yesss....... the infamous Eielson ice fog! Boy do I remember that! Can't say that I miss it either ;0) I was at Eielson from Sept. of 1985 until May of 1987. I remember being so happy the day that I drove off of that base for the last time heh heh. I also remember being glad when it was going to snow, because the temperature would only dip to around 0 degrees, instead of the normal -40 degrees! I swore that I'd never live anywhere that got that cold again, and to this day I've been true to my word. It gets cold here in Utah, but nothing like Eielson! Take care, Fred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...