1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C Hornet, VFA-86 Sidewinders CAG, 2006

Hi everyone!

Back again after taking another break from building for awhile...  So here is my latest completed project, the 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C Hornet in VFA-86 Sidewinders CAG markings circa 2006.  I was drawn to the large orange diamond on the spine, much like the old A-7s of the same squadron in the late 70s, so I knew I had to build my first Legacy Hornet in those markings.  Soon I will build a Corsair in the same "diamond spine" style markings.  The decals I used are from Afterburner Decals "Snakes on a Plane" sheet.  These performed flawlessly like usual.

The kit itself is really nice, great detail and fit was quite good other than the intakes.  That was a bit of a struggle there to align.  The biggest issue I encountered with this build was self inflicted, however.  A couple of weeks ago I had a long weekend off, and I decided I was going to try to finish the build that weekend, despite having a considerable amount of things to do.  So I decided to skip the future coat step before decals, which I have never done before.  Well, the decals went down ok (I did get some silvering I never get however), but the big issue was the wash.  Man, it was a MAJOR pain to get that off, even with turpenoid.  So I learned a lesson, I will not skip that step ever again!

As far as aftermarket, I threw in a Quickboost seat and  Aires closed nozzles.  GBU-16s are from Hasegawa weapons set D, and AIM-9Xs are from the Tamiya F-16C Aggressor kit.

Now that I have built a Hasegawa Hornet, I will be interested to see how the Kinetic one compares.

Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C Hornet "Golden Dragons" boxing

Decals: Afterburner Decals "Snakes on a Plane"

Aftermarket: Aires Closed Exhaust Nozzles, Quickboost Ejection Seat, Hasegawa Weapons Set D

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base),  Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat), Gunze Aqueous FS 33613 Radome Tan, FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray, FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray, Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Red, Clear Green, and Smoke, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, and Burnt Iron.  Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Now on to the pics, I hope you like!

492896-16625-70.jpg

492891-16625-98.jpg

492897-16625-39.jpg

492892-16625-80.jpg

492893-16625-35.jpg

492894-16625-59.jpg

492895-16625-50.jpg

492898-16625-98.jpg

492902-16625-34.jpg

492903-16625-13.jpg

On 7/14/2018 at 11:58 PM, RKic said:

Dang! ARC is just swimming with fantastic Hornet models lately. Very nicely done. 

Thanks RK!  Yeah, I noticed the sweet Hornet builds being posted too!  I am just glad mine can be included in that lofty company.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:34 AM, Whiskey said:

Michael you sir are the level I strive to achieve! So amazingly awesome!

Thank you Zach for the really nice compliment!  You made my day!!!

On 7/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, tosouthern66 said:

Sweet Legacy Bug there! Just another outstanding build!!

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!  

On 7/16/2018 at 3:11 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Not a BUG fan but, excellent job on the build.

Steve

Thanks Steve, that is quite a compliment!

On 7/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, HWR MKII said:

nice cean build. Hope my latest turns out that well

Thanks HWR!  I wish you luck on your build.  What are you building now?

On 7/16/2018 at 5:32 PM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!! Want to send it to me so I can send it to the squadron? 😁

Thanks Darren!  It is always an honor to earn that NOICE!!!  Man, how cool would that be, to give it to the squadron.  Not sure how that would work?  

On 7/17/2018 at 2:06 AM, Mstor said:

Really nice. I like!

Thanks Mstor!  

On 7/17/2018 at 9:09 PM, Aigore said:

Nice looking weathered TPS scheme....I like them dirty! :thumbsup:

Thanks Janne!  I like 'em dirty too, even though this one was not intended to be quite so dirty but due to my wash difficulties on this build it just kinda happened.  LOL

On 7/17/2018 at 10:38 PM, caudleryan said:

Outstanding as always!

Thanks Ryan, I always appreciate your kind words!

23 hours ago, Ichitoe said:

Fantastic job on the weathering! 

Mike

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate that!

I'm building VFA-86's history for them right now. I just finished the F-18C and am working on the F-18E. I used the C markings with big snake head on the tail. If you really want it to go to the squadron, I could give you my contact's address and you could send it to him. The only thing I caution about is that, as I've learned from experience, sometimes they grow legs and walk. I've had to replace a couple of builds from other squadrons I've done. 

On 7/19/2018 at 1:21 AM, jester292 said:

I love that kit. Great job on a great kit! And a nice choice of markings too! Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks bud, I really appreciate the kind words and support.  I am glad you like it!

On 7/19/2018 at 7:50 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I'm building VFA-86's history for them right now. I just finished the F-18C and am working on the F-18E. I used the C markings with big snake head on the tail. If you really want it to go to the squadron, I could give you my contact's address and you could send it to him. The only thing I caution about is that, as I've learned from experience, sometimes they grow legs and walk. I've had to replace a couple of builds from other squadrons I've done. 

After some though I think I will just keep it here, despite the honor it would be to give it to them.  I have never shipped a model before, and worry about the logistics of such an endeavor.  Besides, it looks like you are giving them quite the sweet supply jets of their history!

On 7/22/2018 at 4:36 AM, my favs are F`s said:

Congrats! The weathering is just how i like em the most. That huge yellow diamond gives some sense of a huge GPS antenna 🙂 Very nice! 

Thanks man, I always appreciate your comments on my builds!

On 7/22/2018 at 11:40 AM, Peterpools said:

Michael

Simply a stellar build and a killer finish. Weathering is so very realistic.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Peter

Thanks Peter, that is quite a compliment from you my friend.  🙂

On 7/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, CaptainObvious said:

Another nice one Michael!
The weathering is just about perfect! Very convincing. :thumbsup:

Thanks Cap!  Your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Michael,

Just another rock solid build.  Paint and decaling is near on perfect. But what sets this build apart for me is your weathering. OMG!! it's just simply amazing. Not over done by any means, yet one can easily see it's a well maintained operational aircraft.

Joel