Any Hasegawa F-14 step by step out there?

A friend of mine has found a nice Japanese photo publication that shows you how to build Hasegawa's 1/72 F-14, step by detailed step.

Is there anything like that out there for the 48th kits? I stalled out with my build after everything started coming out...janky. 

The most important thing with a Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat is to ignore the instructions and not attach the inner intake trunking until you've attached the outer trunking to the lower fuselage. This solves any fit problems with the intakes.

The only other significant problem is a small mismatch in the cross sections of the nose and fuselage sections.

Jon

54 minutes ago, jonbryon said:

The most important thing with a Hasegawa 1/48 Tomcat is to ignore the instructions and not attach the inner intake trunking until you've attached the outer trunking to the lower fuselage. This solves any fit problems with the intakes.

The only other significant problem is a small mismatch in the cross sections of the nose and fuselage sections.

Jon

Hey Jon thanks for the tip, I will remember that I hope. I really got to build one of my many Hasegawa kits before I start my Tamiya one. That way I can see what a joy the Tamiya one is in comparison.

I also seem to recall that in the first release that you had to play with the position of the cockpit where it joined the nose wheel well. Not sure if I am describing it correctly though.

1 hour ago, jonbryon said:

Jon

Wish I knew this a few months ago. 😞

Thats been the main issue. There are some nasty gaps just inside of the intake. Some FOD covers would fix that, but I want to build the aircraft, right as it leaves the catapult. 

On 7/16/2018 at 4:56 AM, RKic said:

A friend of mine has found a nice Japanese photo publication that shows you how to build Hasegawa's 1/72 F-14, step by detailed step.

Is there anything like that out there for the 48th kits? I stalled out with my build after everything started coming out...janky. 

Mind to share the 1/72 step by step guide?

It seems like that they have vanished and I think Arnobix (?) or some other user found other issues in the Hasegawa Tomcat that were not covered in the deleted ones ^^

Luigi

On 7/16/2018 at 4:11 AM, agelos2005 said:

I have made a video if you are interested

As I said before: nice video. But how in the hell did you manage to just attach the intake trunks to the fusealge without getting steps in the seens?

At least on my kit, the pieces simply do not share the same contour!

This part is so frigging frustrating, as I would like to minimize filling and sanding at that joint, and save the surface details.

I hate this model!

No, I love this model.

But I really hate it too.

Screw you, Hasegawa!

Sounds like you may have reversed the sides for the intakes and trunks. They are handed so they won't fit the other side. Built 10+ of these kits and never had an issue with the intakes. You have to adjust the fit slightly, but never had any bad seams...

and attach the cockpit fuselage to the top main body. Then add the lower body. Makes it all fit really well.  I glue the intakes to the lower body first  but leave the leading edge parts un-attached. That way there is some room to adjust the intakes once it's all together. 

In the cockpit, the back walls don't fit. Cut them up and install the center walls flush. Don't need the side walls for the pilot. And the cicut breakers on top of the kit tub for the RIO. Even better, get the Aires cockpit. I thought the kit cockpit was the weakest part of the kit. Aires does take a lot of sanding and fitting so it isn't the easiest. 

I had a bunch of pictures on photobucket but it's a POS and won't let me link anymore. Had posted them in a few build threads years ago but don't think they work anymore. 

It really is a better fitting kit than it gets credit for. You just have to find those 4 or 5 steps in the right order. But now looking at it next to the Tamiya kit, I don't plan on making another one ever... still debating what to do with the 4 in progress. 

Brian

Thanks Brian, but it's not handedness.

There is a slight step either on the outward or inward side, depending on how I shift the trunk. Getting a spacer in there would be nice, but then the inner trunk wouldn't have anywhere to go.

IMG_20180718_074933062_HDR.jpg

EDIT: hey. where did my red arrows go?!?

Edited by RKic

If you modify the intake trunk of early releases by cutting the step to match the later releases,  does this fix the intake fitting issue? or were there other mold changes?