How to darken the colour after flat coat

Hi all,

Just finished flat coating my AH-64D, however the flat coat has came out pretty Matt and has lightened the overall colour way too much for my liking. If I was to go over it with a Satin finish would this darken the colour ?  

Thought I would ask before I make an a+++ of it.

Cheers

Flats tend to do that, so you should always use light coats just until you get the desired level of flatness.

I would actually do another gloss coat, which tends to darken things and hides most of the mistiness from the flat coats, and then do the flat again (just less so). But try this out on some scrap before to see if you get the desired outcome.

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

It turns out that I was worried about nothing, the initial "very" flat finish actually darkened by itself over the next 24-36 hrs. However I think the problem was that I didn't thin the varnish enough to start with. I ended up taking 50% of what I had already mixed and thinned it again, 1 part thinned varnish to 2 parts thinner and sprayed the entire model again. It came out much better. I'm putting it down to lack of modelling over the last two years.