How to fix pastel powder?

Hello guys,

I'm thinking about using pastel powder to weather my models and the question that I have is how do you fix the pastels once they are applied to prevent  them to be ruined for manipulation?

Thank you

Ah pastels. An old school method that works! Apply to flat finish then apply a clear coat over. Just an Fyi. I would test your clear coat on a derelict model or scrap plastic card. Reason is that some pastels will disappear under the clear. Others may darken up your weathering and what looked like perfection before the clear may now look very heavy handed.

Max Bryant 

like the others said: you really want to just mist on a very light coat. Let dry and repeat. 

The method gives you a very robust pastel finish. There is a guy on the 72nd aircraft forum, who  uses this method to "paint" Italian smoke-ring camo. 

Take into account that the chalk darkens when you topcoat it. Stop applying when you think you've almost got enough then use dullcote.

(Just saw Mightmax mentioned this)

Edited by modelguy2