Monogram 1/48 F-84F Thunderstreak

The effect is inconsistent. In areas I had to touch up, the color is fairly opaque.  I am not sure if it looks messy or varied.  I had a lot of trouble getting the thickness of the paint just right.  I will post proper pictures soon.

I was all ready to apply decals. I was excited to be almost done, Decals are a major milestone.

I tested the kit decals with a decal from the NMF scheme to ensure the decals are still good

2v2Jj6vsMx9awpY.jpg

These are the thick Monogram decals, unless the kit was stored in really bad conditions, I am convinced these decals will be usable forever.

I also noticed the national insignia are out of register, but no problem, I still have some left from this Aeromaster sheet I bought back in 99 or 2000

2v2Jj6vPzx9awpY.jpg

Then I looked at the painting guide one more time

2v2Jj6vi2x9awpY.jpg

I forgot the black panel on the spine of the fuselage. 

2v2Jj6uNEx9awpY.png

well ... not quite, but I was a little disappointed. A quick decal job became masking 

It was not too hard to mask, it just took a bit of time to interpret the diagram and to compare it to the pictures on the box

2v2Jj6vD3x9awpY.jpg

and a quick spray with Ammo of Mig satin black

2v2Jj6vmrx9awpY.jpg

It looks a little orange peely, but .... the good news is ... no blow outs or paint lifting!

2v2Jj6vTjx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jj6JW3x9awpY.png

So I will let it dry and resume decal work tomorrow.

When we were all kids and built airplane models, we did what we were supposed to do with them ... we played with 'em until things fell off ... that's what happened to the stabs!  :rolleyes:

This is looking mighty fine! Take some more pix of the 'Streak, because in 30 years the stabs, or even a wing, will have mysteriously disappeared as well ... somehow!  :woot.gif:

Pete

Excellent! Is that an ANG plane? Where was it stationed? We had those

at Westover AFB I believe in the 50s or 60s. Brings back memories, nice job.

My goof, the F-84Fs were at Westover from '64 to '70ish.---John

Edited by john53
wrong AFB
1 hour ago, john53 said:

Excellent! Is that an ANG plane? Where was it stationed? We had those

at Westover AFB I believe in the 50s or 60s. Brings back memories, nice job.

My goof, the F-84Fs were at Westover from '64 to '70ish.---John

There is a tiny decal that says Texas, So this is a Texas ANG plane. I realized I misinterpreted the painting directions for the tip of the tail, but at this point I am going to leave it the way it is.

A little more progress

Since you last saw this model, I have applied a coat of Aquagloss from Alclad

I applied a wash of Mig enamel wash to the engraved lines, which are the line around the hatch on nose, the ailerons/flaps and one line around the parachute housing. I also tried fading some of the upper surface with White oil paint, and some brown streaking  on the top of the wings, and on the bottom of the wings and fuselage

2v2J8A4n3x9awpY.jpg

2v2J8A4FUx9awpY.jpg

I need to touch up the the light gray on the pylons and the tail skid, then on to dull coat and final assembly

There are really not much stencil decals. Wether Mongram forgot some or it did not exist on the camo USAF streak. I remember, I took a Icarus sheet only for stencils for the greek streak and I was more busy with the decaling job. 

Your piant job looks good! But you can really say that once matt coated.

Don’t give up the good fight, your making great progress , learning new techniques , and kicking butt. :coolio:

That kit is on my to do list and I hope I can make as good a model as you have. 

I’m looking forward to your next post 👀🤓😎

Great job Kurt H👍

Mr. Happy (In name only)

Thanks guys

I Touched up the light grey, but then got over spray on other colors, and it turned into a full blown four color retouch session. I would share pics, but it looks the same. Please do not let me forget to paint the formation lights. In the mean time I will let the paint dry.

Edited by Kurt H.
15 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I Touched up the light grey, but then got over spray on other colors, and it turned into a full blown four color retouch session. I would share pics, but it looks the same.

This happens more often than I would like to admit.

-co

I had time before work to look at this, and I removed the canopy masks. The clear parts look great. but I noticed I am missing part 60, which is a bracket which connects the  canopy to the canopy lifter, I am not sure how much of a show stopper this is until I try to fit the parts together. it is always something! 🙄

I tried to make the canopy fit in the closed position, but I had trouble trying to file the spots where it looked like it was touching and causing interference. a little adjustment to make it straight would make it shift and then start binding in a different spot.

So I decided to carry on, and it looks like I can fudge it with out the missing part

2v2JMwkN5x9awpY.jpg

In the mean time I decided to focus on the undercarriage, and things under the wings

2v2JMwkjrx9awpY.jpg

2v2JMwk8jx9awpY.jpg

The pylons do not fit well, and the "D" shaped holes in the wing are too small for the pins on the pylons. The contour is also not a good fit. I did my best to make sure they are straight.

I will let all this glue cure completely and then try to tackle the canopy.

Edited by Kurt H.

Great job Kurt👍

Unfortunately you don’t see to many F-84F’s on the contest tables and even more rare to see a SEA camouflaged one . 

It’s good to see those old classic Monogram kits being built🤓

Looking forward to your next build 🤔 and keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Mr.Happy (In name only)