My first entry will be the Monogram F-5F.

This kit means a lot to me. It was the first real model I had. My uncle helped me build it, and painted it for me. This was around 1986, and I was about 8 years old.

I'm somewhat hesitant to begin this build, as the nostalgia if it has set a very high bar. But I'll do my best.

I have a small update set to build a more accurate USN aggressor.

Nice choice and a nice kit :thumbsup:! I built that around the same time you did...86-88 timeframe. Loved it.

I'll be following along. Good luck!

Regards.

Nice kit. I built this one in the early 90s, maybe 1991? I can not recall for sure. It was the same box, and I remember buying the kit at K-Mart.  It was one of the first kits I used the Paasche VL I got for my birthday to do freehand camo. I remember having decals fly off when applying dullcote. I had to use diluted white glue to re-apply the decals. I think the decals did not stick well because I applied them to flat paint with the texture of sandpaper.   

And we're off!

The minute I started this model, I was overcome with nostalgia.

I started the build with the drop tanks, and as I was clamping on the clips I remembered how my uncle showed me how to use rubber bands to hold parts together for drying.

I think back then we used a tube of testors glue.

I do miss that smell.

I also began filling the notches for the pylons. Something we probably didn't do back in 1986.

IMG_20180718_224316123_HDR.jpg

I base coated the cockpit. I got to figure out what color all of the details are. 

Right here is why I love Monogram kits. This detail was incredible back when these kits were released. Even today it is nice. 

IMG_20180720_234128881_HDR.jpg

Nice build, I love the way Monogram details the cockpit, makes it

easy for me to pick out details with toothpicks, sewing needles and

00000 brushes. Are you doing it as a Navy Top Gun aggressor? BTW

I still use Testors orange tube glue, never got the hang of liquid stuff.---John

4 hours ago, john53 said:

Are you doing it as a Navy Top Gun aggressor? BTW

You bet! 

I will try to use the decals that are in the box. We'll see how that goes. 

Tonight I base coated the side panels black, and painted the cloth portions of the seats. Tomorrow the details get painted. Some photos tomorrow evening. 

Nice work on the pit. Why do people have to compare it to today's resin

and PE stuff? I think it's just as good and half the stuff today isn't even

seen when the cockpits closed! You're doing a beautiful job, it's a

Rembrant not a Warhol.---John

14 hours ago, RKic said:

The cockpit out of the box. This doesn't really stack up to the most modern cockpit detail, but in 1985, this was the cat's pajamas.

IMG_20180722_211215415_HDR.jpg

That's considered "Museum Quality" in my display case!

A bit of other stuff going on this week, but I was able to get back to the GB this evening. 

Here is my mostly fictional take on the instrument panels. 

IMG_20180728_212726275_HDR.jpg

And the cockpit installed. The fit of the lower and upper fuselage halves will be interesting, I think.... 

IMG_20180728_213610929.jpg

I'm going to turn the nostalgia up to 11 now. 

This was the first model part I ever glued! I remember sitting at the kitchen table with my uncle, and while he was painting something, I sneakily  snapped this piece off the frame and glued it in. 

32 years later, I'm doing it again. This time I used nippers to get it off the sprue. 

IMG_20180728_220051325_HDR.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can somebody point me to a reference that shows panels on the sides of the fuselage for these birds? I've finally finished getting rid of the steps between the two halves, and now its time to add some surface details.