When ever I am at a show I always seem to pick up at least one of these 1:48 Revell/Monogram F-4J's.  They are usually only 10 or so dollars and I just can't pass them up.  I have several but have never built one.  Time to change that.

The boxes usually look pretty beat up like the one I will build.

F-4J 01

But the parts seem fine.

F-4J 02

For a long time I have been wanting to build the Milestone Phantoms (1000th delivered, 2000th delivered, etc.).  A few years ago I bought the Iliad Design Milestone Phantoms decals.

F-4J 03

I guess I will start with number 3000 for this build.  According to the instructions this was a Navy F-4J (Bu No 155772) that was delivered on 5 Sep 1968.  I also ordered the Steel Beach F-4J update set so I guess I will have to wait for that to get here before I can start.

If I can get this one done fast enough maybe I can build #2000 out of the Revell F-4C/D kit.  Then I will just need a Hasegawa Group Build to finish off the F-4E's and B.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, RKic said:

I really like the Monogram F-4 kits. They're cheap and accurate.

Weren't they the only kits in 1/48 that got the air intakes right until the release of the ZM kits?

I finished up the cockpit and crew today.  Since the kit comes with one sitting pilot and one standing pilot I had to use my last sitting pilot to fill out the crew.  I really wish Hasegawa would make a boxed set of just pilots.

F-4J 04

Since this will be an in-flight build I started adding some sprue to strengthen kit.  It should be good and strong after I add some epoxy.

F-4J 05

I picked up one of these spatula's for the clear rod. 

F-4J 06

I like the shape of these and once you pull the silicon part off it gives you a good attachment point if you want to use it straight.

F-4J 07

I will try to install that tomorrow.  It will give me a good handle for painting.

Els

That handle has already been used to fly the F-4 all around the modelling room with lots of made up jet noises.

But first I had to get it together.

Since the handle wasn't round It made assembly a bit difficult.  The body halves have to come together then the bottom needs to be added.  Note to self, use only round stock for future Revell/Monogram F-4 builds.

F-4J 08

It was up and flying.

F-4J 09

Since the handle flared out on the ends it left me with this ugly baby on the bottom.

F-4J 10

And of course the raised panel lines always make sanding the spine fun.

F-4J 11

Els

• 3 weeks later...

Well since my build has fallen to the bottom of the list I guess I better do an update.

Phantom, I hope no one ever see's the bottom of this ugly baby.  This is what it looks like with the gear doors closed up. 

F-4J 12

And with some putty

F-4J 13

I am going to have to go out and buy more sanding sticks.

I know that the fit of the canopy on these old kits isn't great but what is the deal with this big hole behind the rear canopy?

F-4J 14

Els

picknpluck, I will have to remember that the next time I build one of these.  There is a shelf inside the aircraft body that you are supposed to sit the completed cockpit tub on.  I glued the cockpit to that but now I see that I should have disregarded that.  Since posting those pics I filled it with some card stock and am waiting for it to dry.  I was hoping to start putting some paint on it later today.

Els

• 1 month later...

This is finally finished.

I had to buy an additional decal sheet for all the stencils.  The Illiad Design decals only come with the 3000th Phantom specific decals and nothing else.  I also masked and painted on the gray walkways.  I could only find three pictures of the actual aircraft wearing the 3000th markings and none of them showed the top of the plane, so I just went with what other aircraft of that time seemed to have.  It is a Revell Phantom, kind of a pain to build but they look like F-4's when they are done.  For me this one turned out good enough to be in my 2 foot Air Force.

Els

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...