1/48 Revell/Monogram "Special Edition" B-26 Marauder

The decals showed up last weekend so I got on with getting the numbers on. First step was to get the ones done on the gloss coated part of the tail, followed by another gloss coat to bury them. I only sprayed the fuselage since it was the only part of the model that had decals on it:

DSC02624.jpg

Next was to pull tape off the fabric parts and get those decals on.

DSC02625.jpg

To avoid silvering I brushed Future on the back of each decal before putting it on:

DSC02628.jpg

Give them time to settle and it'll be ready for dull coat overall. I also brushed Future on the metal access panels on the fabric control surfaces.

The goal here, if you haven't guessed is to create contrast between fabric and metal surfaces. They're generally not painted different colors on the real one so I don't waste my time mixing and masking to make them different. It's a trick I cooked up way back when I was building Corsairs. This one is a -1a probably from a long ago PACAIR Group Build here and as you can see, keeping the gloss coat off the fabric bits does a nice job of creating that contrast without mixing and spraying more paint:

l-CA0-L6-A65.jpg

I like the look and doing it this way minimizes effort for maximum effect.

Edited by WymanV

Well, final assembly begins and of course this is when it fights me the hardest. Oddly, one of the "hinges" on two of the landing gear doors don't fit-the gear leg structure is too close to the sidewall so I had to trim off the offending bits. But the worst was when the top turret fell out. Not "out" proper of course. It fell inside the fuselage... After ripping out one of the waist hatches and a string of profanity that rivals that of old man Parker I got it tenuously glued into the fuselage from the inside. It'll accept almost NO contact whatsoever and I'm just hoping it holds up long enough to finish the details.

Used MV Lenses in the landing lights and they really pop in person:

DSC02629.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just glad to have it out. Been fighting with a wicked bad infection for almost a couple weeks now and struggling to breathe has dampened my enthusiasm for the bench.