1/32 Tam.Spitfire "Kicked Up A Notch" Dec 20/18 DONE!!

July 19/18

Hi Guys, I’m Back!  I used to frequent these forums when I started modeling 11 years ago, but due to my strong interest in large aircraft, I gravitated over to Large Scale Planes (LSP) website about 4 years ago and have been over there ever since.  I enjoyed my time at LSP for the most part and learned many things, but due to a number of recent events it became clear that it was time to move on, in this case back “home” to ARC.  By way of introduction to those who have not seen my work before, I offer these links for those who might be interested.  Due to the software changes of ARC followed by LSP, some of these threads are corrupted, so fingers crossed that they still work:

1/32 Tamiya F-4E

1/32 Tamiya P-51D

1/32 Trumpeter A-10C

1/32 Trumpeter P-38L

And my latest completed work, 1/32 Tamiya F-15C Aggressor

So now on to the subject at hand, a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc, which I have already started and I am about 50% finished.  Rather than re-create the thread I started at LSP, which would be impossible, I offer it here as a jump off point to where I will take it here in the future.  As you will see, I’m already on Page 27 since starting this model back in December, 2017.

1/32 Tamiya Spitfire MkIXc, "Kicked Up A Notch"

Now a few random pics to show some of my progress so far:

The Cockpit

oBhhmU.jpg

yMLlyB.jpg

3aad9w.jpg

JSLlBj.jpg

X7PKyO.jpg

And my favorite sub-assembly so far, the Merlin Engine.

IIl0X0.jpg

sFLB18.jpg

2gtO0T.jpg

rSayyx.jpg

Which brings us up to the last stage of this thread, which is how to get the engine to fit properly into the fuselage, so that the magnetic cowlings fit properly.

H4lFH4.jpg

As I have done at LSP and ARC before, I plan on photographing each new step and explaining how I did it and why I did it.  This should be fun.  Unfortunately, I don’t have much time to model over the next few months due to work and vacation plans, but I wanted to get this thread started to confirm my move today and maybe add a little pressure on myself to get going on this Spitfire again.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3
1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Very nice!  Does the Mk IX. not have the flare rack below the front edge of the seat?

According to a few references, including Brett Green's book on building this kit, the flare rack was not used on Mk IX's, so it should be deleted.  I have no idea if it's true, but I think Brett likely knows a lot more about Spitfires than I ever will.

Thanks guys for the welcome back and I promise to try and do a good job of documenting the completion of this build.  On that note, I have noted that my LSP thread is locked already.  :doh:  No wonder I'm here.

Cheers,

Chuck

Thanks guys.    I'd give you the "like" button if this forum had them, but from what I've experienced over at LSP, they can be a bit annoying at times anyway!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Hiya Chuck!  I just visited the LSP site and learned of your and your Spitfire build's migration to ARC.  Too bad there were unfortunate circumstances that caused you to leave LSP but you can 'take your ball and go home' anytime you like.  I'll continue to follow your build here.  Enjoy the top down weather and I look forward to your continued progress here in these parts.

Take care.

Mike :thumbsup:

Chuck

Welcome home my friend. You've been missed for sure as the welcome posts are just starting to roll in.  I've followed your builds on LSP as a lurker since I decided a few years ago to move on. Pete's back as well, and has posted his 1/48 scale F-14A in The Display Case. 

Looking forward to your next build post once your vacation season is over.

Joel

Hi Chuck

Glad to see the you're back on ARC and the Spit build is open for business. Absolutely brilliant work and as always, taking loads notes every step of the way.

I'm still getting use to figuring out where everything is and how it works on ARC but being old and slow, it takes me a bit of time.

:thumbsup:

Peter

Wow, it feels like coming home for sure now!

Thank you everyone.  I just wish I had something new to post, but that will come soon enough.

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Glad to have you back for sure! I was too, following your builds over at LSP, I was one of those "annoying" likes! since there's not much to add to your posts! I went there followong you and Oliver and discovered a nice bunch of people and outstanding work! will be following you work here as well!!! I'm kind of happy winter is coming and so your bench time! yeah I know it's selfish! waiting already some progress

Hi Chuck! It's nice to get back here and to the modelling indeed. 🙂 The engine part looks awesome! 

Btw, since the 2 forums look visually almost the same, i would stay in the other forum mostly because of 2 reasons - the topics are shorter (15 replies per page) and the pics load quickly and effortlessly; and because it has the Likes feature. So, see you arround.... :thumbsup:

Edited by my favs are F`s

Hey Chuck, nice to see you back over here.  I appreciate all your documentation as it really helped me put together a stunning Tamiya 1/32 F-15C (I've got to get a new camera before I take photos so it'll be a little while, but I'll get around to it).  I know you've still got a ways to go on this one, but I think usually, you tend to alternate jet/prop.  Since I know you enjoy trying new techniques and subjects, have you ever thought about an Su-27 Flanker?  It's a bit of a departure from some of your other projects, but I'd love to see what you do with a Flanker, they're usually heavily weathered (especially up north) and as such they make for very interesting camouflage and airbrushing challenges.  Just a thought, looking forward to seeing how the Spitfire progresses.

4 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

Jaw dropping stuff Chuck! :jaw-dropping:

Capt. Obvious, 

I've followed Chuck's builds on LSP when he moved there more as a lurker then a active member just because Chuck builds to a consistent level that truly amazing, and spends so much time with tutorials with plenty of pictures, it's like an advanced course in  aircraft modeling.  I've really learned quite a lot from Chuck over the years.

Joel

Welcome back Chuck!  We missed you here at ARC, but I’m glad you are back- I’ve followed all your builds since the F-4, both here and over at LSP.   I’ll try to add more “atta boys” this time around, since I have mostly just admired your work and didn’t know what to say other than “WOW!”  You sir, are an artist!

Steve  

Hey Chuck, welcome back. I was following your progress over on LSP and now that you are coming back "home" it will be good to see this Spitfire build carry on. I know I am getting some fantastic info that I should be able to incorporate into my smaller 1/48th kit.

I still say that after seeing your build in this larger scale it does tempt me to try something bigger. Although having said that I do have a Hasegawa Ki-44 in 1/32nd as well as several jets like the 1/32nd Skyhawk and a Hornet but nothing really big like a Phantom. I think I can probably count the number of large kits I have on my fingers.

Anyway good to see you back and I am thankful you are willing to continue to share you wonderful skills in this modelling hobby of ours.