1/32 Tam.Spitfire "Kicked Up A Notch" Dec 20/18 DONE!!

Chuck I just received a book from the UK yesterday. It ws the Tomcat book by Spencer Pollard. He mailed it on Nov 18 and got it Dec 12.  So maybe if it is not a big box it gets through? Sounds like something flat you are expecting.

Edited by skyhawk174

Jesu Christmas ... this Spitfire is ... gorgeous!

I've missed the last 6 pages over the past few weeks and just restarted reading this thread, and stopped at page 5. The weathering at the wing root is SPEK-TAK-YOO-LAR! The difference between your Museum image and your model is too close to tell the diff.

My Uncle Bill Marshall, F/O Wm. Marshall, flew a Mark IX and I've got an old, old Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, in light blue plastic, to build, but have postponed it for 10 years because I want build it like yours. But Chuck, I'd like to buy yours instead ...let's see, I've got a Loonie, a Twonie ... a Purple bill and an Green bill, that's about $33 CDN ... and can you ship it too???

All kidding aside, my Uncle generally flew AU-H and his daughter, my cousin, gave me his flight logs. Plus, Bob Bracken was in our modelling club, here near Niagara Fall Ontario, and to see him slowly fail, broke our hearts. ( ... and Uncle Bill has a short blurb in Spitfire II just opposite the Contents page. )

I'll be referring to this build of yours Chuck, as it's ... well ... pretty good!  :rolleyes:  :whistle:

Thanx so much for this build and lovely photos too!

Pete

As with every build I follow of yours, I am inspired to try new things. 

I still do, and always will contend there needs the Book of Chuck with all your tips and tricks. 

I am always amazed at how you look at a potential issue and come up with solution.  Magnificent work.

Thank you for sharing your builds.  Lots of work go into them.

Rod

28 minutes ago, K2Pete said:

Jesu Christmas ... this Spitfire is ... gorgeous!

I've missed the last 6 pages over the past few weeks and just restarted reading this thread, and stopped at page 5. The weathering at the wing root is SPEK-TAK-YOO-LAR! The difference between your Museum image and your model is too close to tell the diff.

My Uncle Bill Marshall, F/O Wm. Marshall, flew a Mark IX and I've got an old, old Airfix 1/24 Spitfire, in light blue plastic, to build, but have postponed it for 10 years because I want build it like yours. But Chuck, I'd like to buy yours instead ...let's see, I've got a Loonie, a Twonie ... a Purple bill and an Green bill, that's about $33 CDN ... and can you ship it too???

All kidding aside, my Uncle generally flew AU-H and his daughter, my cousin, gave me his flight logs. Plus, Bob Bracken was in our modelling club, here near Niagara Fall Ontario, and to see him slowly fail, broke our hearts. ( ... and Uncle Bill has a short blurb in Spitfire II just opposite the Contents page. )

I'll be referring to this build of yours Chuck, as it's ... well ... pretty good!  :rolleyes:  :whistle:

Thanx so much for this build and lovely photos too!

Pete

Thank you very much for your kind words Pete.  As for the worn wings, I was trying to replicate what I saw in real life, vs what is "normal" weathering/chipping for Spitfire models.  I also wanted something a bit different that couldn't be added after regular painting or chipped away with a sharp object.  Unless you see my build steps above, most will likely be scratching their heads as to how I pulled this off while keeping the paint finish very smooth and the transition from full paint to worn aluminum gradual.   Like art, my weathering will appeal to some and not to others and that's OK.  Along similar lines, there are some heavily weathered Spitfires out there that have every panel line and rivet darkened with lots of staining that to my eye, don't look very realistic at all, but they still look terrific nonetheless.

"AU-H", huh?  That's 421 Squadron (made me look it up), so I'll be sure to check that squadron out a bit more and your uncle's piece in the Bracken book.

1 hour ago, Skydivin said:

As with every build I follow of yours, I am inspired to try new things. 

I still do, and always will contend there needs the Book of Chuck with all your tips and tricks. 

I am always amazed at how you look at a potential issue and come up with solution.  Magnificent work.

Thank you for sharing your builds.  Lots of work go into them.

Rod

Thanks Rod.  Trying new things is the most fun I have in our hobby, which keeps things interesting.  Of course you guys don't see all the times I try something a bit different and it turns out a disaster, but thankfully I win a bit more than I crash and burn.

To those fellow Canadians above who have warned me that they are now getting mail in a timely fashion, I am experiencing the very same thing.  I received a few items yesterday from the US that I ordered last week, while a book (US) and those damn masks (UK) I need have yet to arrive, even though I ordered them 2 months ago.  I bet they are sitting in some cargo trailer in a Toronto parking lot, waiting for the Canada Post idiots to get around to sorting it and actually getting it out for delivery.  😠

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi,

Your Spitfire is work of art, but it is far from being the only impressive part of this threat. Chuck, your narrative and your photography are as well great.

Your Spitfire is in 1:32 scale but you are larger than life...

Chuck

Your works of art are things to enjoy no different than pictures hanging on the wall or statues in parks. Art is as they say in the eye of the beholder. I have copied many of your posts for constant referral. Used many of your tips. Enjoyed your commentary ( almost a blog really). I have also enjoyed your generosity (JASDF 1/32 markings). That has caused me to pay it forward to other modellers. Please continue to  post more of your efforts, and thank you for inspiring me to further up my ante. 

Sincerely

Anthony

ps I would love to share pics of my JASDF Phantom with you. 

You guys are making me blush!  I appreciate your comments.

Anthony.  PM sent.

Not being able to wrap up this build is killing me.  I'm even dreaming about painting the serial number masks in my sleep.  Really.  A bit weird, I know, but aren't most modelers?  Anyway, I have just re-ordered the masks.  I bet they arrive before my first order!  😉

Well I got one of the things I've been waiting for in the mail, which is a Display Base from Coastal Kits in England.  It's really nothing more than a photograph of a grassy runway, but if you keep the depth of field a bit shallow, it does the job for close-ups.  Here's an example:

hhF6ci.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

I know things are bad with postal deliveries in Canada but even here it can be frustrating especially since our USPS is supposed to be working full speed ahead. I have a kit from Hobby Easy sitting in customs in Chicago since December 5th. In the mean time I have received 3 separate packages from China which were ordered a full week after the other was shipped.

Sorry to hijack your thread....I can't imagine the frustration going on up north with you guys.

Eric

22 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I know things are bad with postal deliveries in Canada but even here it can be frustrating especially since our USPS is supposed to be working full speed ahead. I have a kit from Hobby Easy sitting in customs in Chicago since December 5th. In the mean time I have received 3 separate packages from China which were ordered a full week after the other was shipped.

Sorry to hijack your thread....I can't imagine the frustration going on up north with you guys.

Eric

I don’t see any delays, not even with the rotating postal strike. I never see anything even go to customs, only straight to my door.

Gentlemen,

The paint masks have FINALLY landed (after 6 weeks)!  I knew if I re-ordered them they would come right away, and they did.  😒

With the masks in hand, I will likely have this project ready for final pics in the next few days, so stay tuned!

Cheers,

Chuck

December 20/18

I'm DONE!!  The masks finally arrived and I was able to paint the serial number on.  After the paint dried, I sanded it down slightly to make it look worn.  The result.  Not bad:

3FfTsG.jpg

Now fitting the cowlings was another issue.  It can be done as shown below, but the fit was not great and fitting them onto the engine took a LOT of fiddling and I started to break parts, like the main antenna and the main door fell off.  Thankfully both were fixed without a trace of damage, but what a PITA!  Also thankfully, I plan on displaying this Spit with the cowlings off all the time, so consider this the last time you'll see them on!

0zYKlf.jpg

sR0dPv.jpg

I don't have time to do a proper write-up of the final result until maybe tomorrow, so here's another teaser of the final product, sans cowlings.

HEcos3.jpg

OK, one more.  I think it really turned out terrific.

la2Hw4.jpg

Until tomorrow night!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Thanks Guys!  Maybe I shouldn’t have posted any completed pics yet, but I just couldn’t help it!  Again, I’ll have about 25 pics taken from every angle and distance later tonight.

Cheers,

Chuck