Tusken Trooper - Tatooine Attack Sniper

Here is a modification of a Bandai sandtrooper I've been playing with a bit lately, just goofing off having fun. It's a sandtrooper in Tusken Raider disguise that shot up the Jawa crawler and Uncle Owens shack. They never show any such troops, but I figure if the empire is going to try to make an attack look like it was "sand people" then they'd likely try to pull it off right and go in incognito for anyone that could observe the attack from a distance. Anyone closer would have likely been killed as well anyway. I still have some wraps on the legs and helmet to do and various details but overall it's coming out ok I guess. the cape and wraps were made with air dry modeling clay. First time I've worked with it and it is pretty easy to get thin pieces like this. The belts and pouches are made with Aves Sculpt. Comments, critiques and suggestions welcome of course.

tusken trooper.jpg

Thanks. I like taking things from movies like Star Wars and making basically "fan fiction" type models of what they didn't show but maybe hinted at in the movie. It's fun. Here is a little more work on it. I still need to weather the wraps a bit more and add a few details to the modified rifle. I hacked off the end of the kit's rifle and put a straight barrel, closer looking to what the Tusken raider's used. 

Oh yeah, I like it.  Great concept and execution.  The Star Wars universe is a big place and I always like seeing new things that people come up with that could be there.  Does the air drying clay get brittle when it cures?

Thanks Els. It does get a little brittle and is a little prone to cracking on larger pieces. I've heard of some people mixing PVA glue to prevent the cracking but I didn't really have that issue so didn't see the need. I let the cape cure almost completely and then coated it with a spray primer. That seemed to keep it from being too brittle. Then simply painted with acrylic paints. The brand of clay I used was Das since it's readily available from Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. Working with it felt like working with something between a bread dough and paper mache', if that makes any sense.

Bill

Edited by niart17