Hi folks,

I'm starting to build this little beast sharing progress so far;

I'm not following the instruction because I have seen a couple of areas that I don't like too much and I'm thinking how to fix them.

Let's start with the mold line just behind the canopy:

25621.jpg

this is the image posted by DIO in the Jet Modeling subforum and it looks really bad; fortunately it's much better than this on the real model and it needs just a few minutes of gently sanding to fix (will take care of the lerx splitter later):

y4mEfeYs-c22fA1-Gf-Xbk5md6bU1l5cNcwk3wiP

full size image

port side panel lines were a bit soft even before sanding;

starboard side not yet finished:

y4mR4XGVAuKe3FR6CYkZzyRGzO4iOHWTX_KtqCDM

full size image

Edited by Andrea Bolla

Intake parts have a few shallow ejector marks easily fixed with a few drops of MrSurfacer 500; fitting is almost perfect leaving no visible joint in the half-split circular section and an easy to fill one between the inner tube and the outer trunk:

y4mitVAydZl0Xg6_OsRO5N0cc2H3GN6FCW1S1Sph

full size image

y4mebis21OVYWLp-ccX6mYoFcip4JjWEUYtrHkWG

full size image

PE details fit perfectly too:

y4mbetbhuU3HElUb04jBOrEmsX6kqwuhMW2S02ie

full size image

y4mdpftB35IS36l7vOZ5KqRfU4etYML9mGY6qeOx

full size image

Wings have a seam that needs some care and dry fitting: it's important to try to keep the surfaces flush in order to minimize the sanding required to preseve the fine detail; if you keep the panel well aligned the seam is really small and easy to fill with MrSurfacer 500:

y4mqLeebAfOK8bMuk7yDYPqwfSKmntAByvQIY579

full size image

y4m4gKVZnL9QkOhBo7DWZYLihwTQoyfIWgmR7OWI

full size image

Same thing for vertical surfaces:

y4mJV8tGcVsch3gmJOg303L3K9e_w7jrFRhDl-Wc

full size image

y4mFig4dXGj8Ko62gieT6ijPI-AgVFAu6bGBBYeL

full size image

Here the fit is not perfect, will take care of that later:

y4mUx-yE-XIIH3PavR2AhfF2P7lsra51piEKShPn

full size image

Managed to fix the tail airscoop: cut the inner side with ultrathin Tritool blade and it's done.

y4mukQ9RInMjG2z9v9kQgIxfwxqpa-L8RiKYe2gD

full size image

not the best picture...

y4mXoIGOa0blNM9YR9Su22bPwypK2RTfNv7_BYyq

full size image

White primed the intakes and found that the PE parts needed a little touch-up to blend with the sorrounding plastic: MrSurfacer and cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol fixed that:

y4mKa6XSEJ1-7MYuRjvdDYhvFYG0tJPC5MB-oRLc

full size image

better but not perfect:

y4m8QO5v2ZHjJSuQNOi0y2TpMrx065ADPkGWMWdY

full size image

upper parts are ok:

y4mhib7R_J2d0YLL1KLZMFIY-ustFhZEArCOIPo8

full size image

Now what I don't like of this kit: it seems that wheel wells are the weakest point of most of the Su-27 models;

combine the thickness of the fuselage and the thickness of the upper part and the result is a too shallow well: note the proportion of the center panel and wheel bulges.

y4m6WLc38TpijkKcN-djSlphl4I17MTW5jiNEWSE

full size image

Front wheel well have symmetrical panels where the original are not;

y4m4Oe02_P1BcHAJvVQaC2y6YNkxwEPb7WwhQ8Ng

full size image

even the proportion is wrong leaving not enough space for the various gauges an connectors below the sliding panel:

y4mW_x_9Y2LGwC4Q9UWu2KwoX4bNdTnZv9KHdvHU

Just a little update after a busy week;

I managed to find a solution for the main wheel wells: sanding the upper fuselage (that is quite thick so it gives a good chance of improvement) and discarding the top panel saving just the oleo support gives almost 2mm of extra depth:

y4moPwOKjtXG0S8_89HyCBF4pUHvf1uDNc0LMaH3

y4mzscJg8w3lzH9vMWQBGss8wx2Vz_S2KMIiCrro

not perfect but much better.

Trying to fix the nose wheel well is much more difficult: in the end it seems that the original panel depth is not so bad but everything else is more or less wrong; it was hard to find a way to fit all the details in such a tiny space when I realized that the door hinges are all in the wrong position:

y4mDushkAIJk3r7yBy94ax-enuuhL1z2bpm0otVU

back to drawing again and that is the result:

y4mXzsu7iAIo3pVVIZ3O7GmINm3aZTiwMcsLkqHp

y4mEfCIZCh6isgz8QPT4xxtxGhcrhSXHy5EM-ikN

far from perfect again but worth to try: time to cut the templates in plasticard....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Hi folks, took a couple of week of holidays and I have no progress to show, but managed to bring with me something was laying around from ages:

y4mZ7mkROn14yAIaSsYJZtiybWHImkryZS9YoB_d

y4m3D5BN5fdO6-dqeIi--f3sgkocIkH9CfxDZbPI

Now back at the Su34 gear wells...

Su-24?

I have been toiling away with my Fullback. As it stands now I will definitely be buying another kit to stash pending other details to be released for it as well as the Decals from Begemont.  I have created problems for myself with the kit including the wheel wells you mentioned earlier, and mating the upper and lower fuselage. I flexed the upper while clamping which caused the canopy to not fit correctly and required much more filling and sanding. Suffice it to say I am ready to be done with it. I plan on continuing the build and finish it "as is" but it will be shelved after painting and a club meeting.

The kit is still the best Su-34 out there but it does require patience and planning before and during the build. I moved too fast and am paying the price.