Don, the black stripes are Thermal Tape. The adapter section is full of environmental equipment, fuel cells, fuel tanks and stuff that gets warm. The Black Thermal tape was used on a few missions in an attempt to help with Thermal control. It was determined to be minimally effective and deemed unnecessary on later missions.

My version doesn't have this tape but it will have black 'dots' ... these are velcro patches the Astronaut on EVA would use to navigate around the exterior. He also had a velcro patch on the palm of his glove.

And, the supplier of the PE for this kit, LVM studios out of The Netherlands, doesn't have their website up any more ... methinks they're "Tango Uniform". But, yeah, this PE update is a royal PITA.

Thanx for the visit!  :thumbsup:

Pete

Here's a reference image of the aft end with the AMU tucked into the centre and the foil insulation. This'll be built next ...

2v2JnT3rgxAnAAS.jpg

Starting to cut out and put in the aft structure which will be hidden by the Gold foil. Tucked into this structure will be the Astronaut Maneuvering Unit, AMU, which'll be built from scratch.

2v2JnmMETxAnAAS.jpg

Real Space Models supplied this BIG piece of vac-formed styrene as the aft curtain. I'll chop out a piece of it and toss the rest.

2v2JnmMvkxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JnmM9DxAnAAS.jpg

The bit on the bottom is a foothold for the Astronaut. The whole subassembly still needs a little tweaking, but it's done.

2v2JnmMu4xAnAAS.jpg

The Overhead Switch panel has some PE which just sits on the surface. I decided to carve out the holes for the Hatch latches beforehand.

2v2JnmMJmxAnAAS.jpg

After realizing that soldering these small pieces would take way-y-y-y too much time to get good at, I decided to just glue it, things are moving along.

The Hatch pieces are glued down ... still many details, in styrene, to add ...

2v2JnmMHSxAnAAS.jpg

The Overhead Switch panel ...

2v2JnmMasxAnAAS.jpg

To give you another idea as to the size of this stuff,  this piece supports the Ejection Seat and the only thing that will be seen is the tip, which would've been soldered ... but glued instead.

2v2JnmMePxAnAAS.jpg

The PE really needs to be folded precisely. There's not a lot of fudging allowed with these joints. Does Filler stick to PE ... I'll hafta figure that out too.

Thanx for taking a peek gents!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Well, I applied some Tamiya Putty to some scrap brass PE and it seems to stick just fine ... so next will be applying it to the model and sand it down. Fingers crossed. 

The Instrument panel's PE got glued on too ...

2v2JnjZngxAnAAS.jpg

Built the Handholds with styrene channel ... and installed.

2v2JnjZqWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JnjchdxAnAAS.jpg

The Astronaut will be cut up and rebuilt and repositioned ... 

2v2JnjZCqxAnAAS.jpg

Milliput will be used to flesh out this little guy.

2v2JnjcmjxAnAAS.jpg

The Ejection Seat broke at the CA Glue seam. Darn it ...

2v2JnjZLFxAnAAS.jpg

So while I was deciding what to do with the Ejection Seat, I wondered how the fit was gonna be in the interior and um ... with just 2 pieces in there, it ... uh ... didn't fit.

The interference on these 2 parts was substantial ... an 1/8th to a quarter inch. Un-frikkin believable!

2v2JnjZgdxAnAAS.jpg

Then I dry fit the subassemblies for the Ejection seat and put that in and ... it's not that it's tight, it just doesn't fit.

2v2JnjZWyxAnAAS.jpg

I’m godsmacked!

I’ve spent the last 10 days or so fiddling with this PhotoEtch interior and this morning, I was curious to see the fit.

The Ejection Seats don’t fit. I can’t believe it. Now, I did read somewhere, 3 or 4 years ago when I bought this kit, that there were some fit issues. But this … aw geez. I must be doing something wrong. The interference is substantial.

I want to detail this interior … I need to buy another set of Mini Drill Bits because my .3 mm bit broke a while ago and I want to drill out the PE and insert wire, supplied in the kit, as the switches. Now, i’m gonna postpone it and try to figure out what’s going on.

I was debating as to whether or not BOTH hatches would be open to show off this lovely interior … now, the decision may have been made to keep one closed. Which will definitely make assembly and display much, much easier … but … I … am … so-o-o disappointed!

Till next posting ...

Pete

Thanx Kurt H. and phantom ... you two guys are good mods! Good job!    :thumbsup:

I decided to press ahead and start to detail the Ejection Seats anyway ... although only one may be seen.

Here's the real thing. It's a Weber seat.

2v2JqbfpCxAnAAS.jpg

This will be the Survival kit ... just drilling some holes as grommets.

2v2Jqbw5rxAnAAS.jpg

The scratch building aspect of this hobby is what turns my crank. Here I'm carving a tiny Lumbar support for the seat cushion ...

2v2JqbwyNxAnAAS.jpg

The upper seat cushion with Lumbar supports glued and some filler putty. I've also added some 'cushioning' to the upper Ejection Seat.

2v2JqbwNjxAnAAS.jpg

I soldered the joints on that broken seat. It sure ain't pretty, but it does the job. I'll file and Dremel the excess to smooth.

2v2JqbwzyxAnAAS.jpg

Thinking that I did something wrong in the fitting of these LVM seats. I placed 'em back in position. And in the Instructions it states that in final assembly. the top of the seat should be 0.5 mm from the top of the seat rail. 

Well ... I'll be darned! ... In the dry fitting, i placed the seats at their lowest point. When I placed 'em as instructed, they fit ... better.

2v2Jqbw8zxAnAAS.jpg

To illustrate the point, here's the seat position I had for the dry fit.

The top of the seat is about 3 mm from the top of the seat rail.

2v2JqbwjMxAnAAS.jpg

Here is the 'correct' position ... about 0.5 mm from the top. The fit is just a little tight, but will be fine.

2v2Jqbwr8xAnAAS.jpg

I'm glad it was my screw up and not LVM's. But nothing was glued in, so no harm, no foul.

Still a little ways to go on this interior, but I'm relieved about the seats.

Thanx guys!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
spelling

WOW!!!!! Just WOW!!!! Pete if you leave the curtain off the back you can show off all the cool

colorful balls in there. I did the 1/48 Revell Gemini and it had neat green, purple, yellow and

red balls and other cool colorful stuff! Just kidding, I contemplated using gold foil myself.

This is just "too good"---John

Thanx Gents!

I'll have one astro seated in the vehicle and the seams are awful ... but normal for this mid 1960's kit. I fill the seams with styrene bits, then file and sand as necessary. 

2v2Jq78kLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jq787MxAnAAS.jpg

He'll have one arm flipping switches so, I had to perform an amputation in order to re-position it ...

2v2Jq78hCxAnAAS.jpg

I do a few sketches in order to visualize how I'm gonna position the model. In the upper Left, you can see the seated Astronaut and in the lower Right, you can see how I think the Astronaut on EVA will be positioned

2v2Jq7M25xAnAAS.jpg

I built this little hinge support and it'll be a good reinforcement for the PE hinge as well. Added details to the Hatch too.

2v2Jq78BNxAnAAS.jpg

... almost done ...

2v2Jq78VdxAnAAS.jpg

Seat belts, Lap belts still to add, but this is almost done too.

2v2Jq78gWxAnAAS.jpg

One seat will be empty, and the other Astro will be sitting in the other seat. The loops are the "D" ring for the Ejection Seat, and the smaller ones are arm restraints made from thick Copper wire.

2v2Jq78MFxAnAAS.jpg

And the fit issues with the seats have been resolved ...I hope! I had to cut away the side walls of the hull in order for these to fit. The holes will be partially covered over with various equipment that attaches to the side walls

2v2Jq78mnxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jq78NWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jq78qFxAnAAS.jpg

While this interior is proving to be a bit of a bear, this build is still loads of fun! The interior still has a lot to do in it, IP details and various fit issues, but this is where I derive my enjoyment in this hobby!

Till next posting. 

Pete

While the subject is Gemini ejection seats, if you've got a minute and a half to spare,

Watch NASA's Gemini Ejection Seats Fire in Slow Motion

Published on May 21, 2016

And then if you have three more free minutes,

Why Did Gemini Use Ejection Seats and Not an Escape Tower?

ACSszfHvTjNjgpdymSnkkdVclc891AondMMCL1IK

Published on Feb 19, 2016

When it came to astronaut safety, why were ejection seats good enough for Gemini astronauts but not Apollo astronauts? There are different kinds of launch escape systems, but they all do the same thing: they get astronauts out of the way of a potentially deadly rocket explosions. On Mercury and Apollo, the LES was a launch escape tower, a solid-rocket powered tower atop the spacecraft that could rip it away from an exploding rocket, carrying the crew a safe distance away where they would land by parachute. But Gemini used ejection seats, much like the ones fighter pilots used. Why? Well, watch the video to find out!

Thanx for the vids ... I've watched all her videos ... because she's articulate, knows what she's talking about and ... she's pretty easy on the eyes!  :rolleyes:

The Gemini spacecraft was indeed designed to land on Terra Firma ... and I did a model of it too ... here's a couple pix ...

2v2JUE3QmxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JUE28SxAnAAS.jpg

If you're curious, the build thread is here...

After deciding on the pose of the astronauts, I had to decapitate one guy to turn his head a few degrees

2v2JqzyPFxAnAAS.jpg

and after reattaching it, filled the gaps with .005 styrene scraps

2v2JqzykdxAnAAS.jpg

The PE's '8-ball' will be replaced with a small sphere. So drilling out an allowance was next

2v2JqzySnxAnAAS.jpg

A new piece of equipment was scratch built and installed

2v2JqzyVqxAnAAS.jpg

and the Centre Console needed to have a little more support and needed some building and fitting ... actually, needed LOT of fitting.

This cabin is really taking a lot of time to complete. I figure I'm about 50% done with the cockpit ... and still have to install details, drill for switches, fit and finish ... 

2v2JqzymWxAnAAS.jpg

But build, test fit, tear down, file, test fit again ... is the name of the game at this stage ... 

2v2JqzyiyxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JqzyD5xAnAAS.jpg

This subassembly is getting pretty heavy too ... I hope the stand will hold it and I'll have to see if the CoG will still be centred ... time will tell.

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

phantom ... I take care of my Astros!   :thumbsup:

This is the 1st time my stuff has been called eye-candy! Thanx airmechaja!  :worship:

While waiting for some micro drill bits to be delivered, no local shops have 'em .... I decided to rebuild the Astros.

I thought I'd try to carve a hand out of styrene and ... this might just work!

2v2JFFYNoxAnAAS.jpg

... then the hand controller ... a piece of sprue is about the right diameter ...

2v2JFFYj3xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JFFYr2xAnAAS.jpg

This seated Astro, a little outta focus, has its repairs made from Milliput. It'll all get filed and sanded to look prettier.

2v2JFF7uNxAnAAS.jpg

The EVA Astro will have to be completely rebuilt ...

2v2JFF7UyxAnAAS.jpg

The shoes needed to be built up a bit. The soles are just a piece of .040" styrene and Milliput will be sculpted to make the boot

2v2JFF7vHxAnAAS.jpg

Reference photo of Capt Cernan training. On his chest is the Emergency Life Support System, ELSS, which will have to be built too

2v2JFF7ezxAnAAS.jpg

And rebuilt with Milliput which will get filed and sanded down to something a little more presentable.

2v2JFF7JrxAnAAS.jpg

The decals from this eBay kit were a bit yellowed but on the back was the Venice California address ... that brought me back  ... this build has really triggered some good memories, like a few of you have had.

2v2JFF7H8xAnAAS.jpg

Thanx guys, for popping in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
spelling

I've been waiting for some micro drill bits to arrive so I can drill some holes for switches and stuff and got 'em, but ... they ... are ... all ... dull.

I am so disappointed ... I read a bunch of reviews on a variety of different sets and these were all positive ... so I got 2 sets ... dang it!

2v2JdFQ7GxAnAAS.jpg

So while waiting for the bits, I got to work on building up the EVA Astro ... I carved another hand out of styrene ... The ELSS Chest Pak was started too.

2v2JdFQYrxAnAAS.jpg

As these are gloves I added the extensions ...

2v2JdFQ65xAnAAS.jpg

I started carving and filling off the excess Milliput ...

2v2JdFQTjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JdFQmrxAnAAS.jpg

The Shoulders needed a little bulking up, so I added a bit of Milliput.

2v2JdFQRnxAnAAS.jpg

The gap at the wrist was filled with styrene scraps and Tamiya putty.

This little guy is coming together ... for the Visor I may have to Vac-form one ... i'll have to see what else I have that may work.

2v2JdFQiyxAnAAS.jpg

If you all can suggest Micro Drill bits, specifically 0.3 mm let me know ...

Till next post

Pete

The last of the 'major' subassemblies got started ... the backpack, AMU ( Astronaut Maneuvering Unit ) .... just styrene and a little copper wire.

2v2JyDfPCxAnAAS.jpg

Here's a reference image ...

2v2JyDfD4xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfcVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfBDxAnAAS.jpg

... some Milliput for the 'cushion' ...

2v2JyDfYTxAnAAS.jpg

... almost there ... just needs some little details and paint will go on with the rest of the model.

2v2JyDfRVxAnAAS.jpg

This little ELSS was done too ...

2v2JyDfkLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfigxAnAAS.jpg

I'll be ordering another set or two of better quality Micro Drill Bits and this build will wait till I get 'em in hand, could be awhile ...

Till then

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't stopped this build but ... I've ordered 3 different sets of Mini Drill Bits and they were all dull, all useless.

I had ordered my last set, a few years ago, from Lee Valley Tools, but they no longer carry 'em. 

They did however refer me to Zona Tools and with shipping and exchange ( USD to CDN ) these little bits will cost me close to $70.00 ... um ... uh ... well, I know you get what you pay for, but gee whiz ... 

Just wanted to let you know I'm still here, but I'll have to figure out something ... I'd like to get this build off my table and ready for a local show in early November.

i'm gonna give my local knife sharpener a call, they may have some really fine grinder belts that'll put an edge to these bits ... doubtful, but ... what the hey!

Pete

I hadn't seen this until now. This is excellent and truly impressive work! :thumbsup:

I've only rarely seen guidance on the folding order for PE. In my experience, it's mostly a case of thinking about the fold order. Have you looked at annealing the PE for some of the more delicate folds?

Are you using lead-free solder or perhaps silver solder? They need a higher temperature than lead-based solder. I've only used silver solder for strength applications. I used a micro torch to solder the joint, but it would likely be too aggressive for PE. As for lead-free solder, while I can crank up the temperature of my soldering iron, I do find it harder to use, so I tend to use my older lead-based solder for electronics.