Removing the Paint from Factory Painted TomyTec Model Kits

Hello,

Getting back into building kits after long period away from hobby. I have a couple of TomyTec kits that are pre painted and would like to remove the paint.

Any idea as to what I should use to remove the paint?

Thank you

AlanL

Edited by AlanL
Typo
  • 2 weeks later...

Been using this from the model train suppliers since the 1980s. At one time was also a brand name Chameleon. NOTE: do not use on resin parts, will most likely turn resin to jelly.

Is fine on metals and most plastics. I don't recall having ever tried it on vinyl.

https://www.walthers.com/paint-stripper-remover-for-plastics-16oz-473ml-bottle

32 minutes ago, goondman said:

I'm no expert,  but i think it'll depend on the paint tommytec used. For acrylic, I have had good success with simple green. 

I'll second that. And, for example, on Tamiya's acrylics, isopropyl alcohol has long worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use Oven Cleaner spray (the foaming type) to remove the paint from pre-painted model railroad locomotive shells, sounds harsh but it worked well. A lot of toy grade models are painted in something other than Acrylic to make them more durable for playing with.