Academy PBY-5A Black Cat 1/72

Chris,

Thanks so much for posting those pictures, I feel a heck of a lot better about the post paint assembly now.

I've got the PBY slated right after my Lotus build.  

Your Black Cat came out looking damn near perfect. 

Joel

Thanks guys!  It has its problems but it is an easy kit to get together.  So the idea is that this is an 'inflight' Catalina, but am having problems finding the appropriate Prop Blur for the big props the Cats used (11' or 11'6" depending on which prop was used).  Alliance ModelWorks has one that might work, but it is about 10% too small so sent them a message to see what they recommend for a 1/72 Catalina prop. Stay tuned!  Engines are basically ready to go.

Still need to attach the antenna wires, but trying to figure out exactly which antenna set up to use.  There were many different set ups used, (ditto with the turret guns including removing the 30 cal's from the nose and instead installing four 50 cal in the nose below the turret!) so wanting to be fairly accurate in prep for my 1/48 scale build.

On to the update:

So attached the bombs, which started off olive drab, then over coated in black so if you look closely, they are not exactly black, more of a black-green.  The bombs are 4 pieces, two of the bomb body and two of the tail fins.  Be careful on the alignment of the fins!  I glued the main fin on first, and then when that was dry attached the other fin part.  With a solid main fin to work with, adjusting the second part was much easier.

There is at least least one picture with black bombs (but a different shape than what came with the kit - the ones in the photo look more like armor piercing bombs.  These look more like the usual bombs).

X602S0.jpg

fzjzwb.jpg

Also did some work on the exhausts and starting to do some weathering using MIG's Neutral Wash - which is a lighter gray.  Again, period photos indicate a lighter shading to the exhaust stains. 

RR4t0s.jpg

This is just a start...  The inserts fit into the groves on the engine nacelles very well as long as you are careful to trim up the sprue attachment points and then sand the ejector pin mark on the bottom of the inserts which raises them.  Very easy to work with.

YvlGEd.jpg

OJqw3D.jpg

Looking at the alignment I had to 'adjust' one of the struts - AGAIN.  Something I should have paid much more attention too.  The rear tailplane is actually very well aligned with the top wing - just in case you are looking closely.  Bad camera angle!

4StU2u.jpg

Still have to attach the clear wing light covers as well after taking care of that seam.  Should have time this weekend to get it mostly buttoned up.  Hoping to hear from Alliance Modelworks very soon on the proper prop blur.

I did use some 8000 grit wet sand paper trying to vary the black finish - but that did not work very well.  Also tried various black washes, and yes, you guess it, they blended right in.  Mmmm... going to hit it with another coat of clear flat and then may look at using some semi-matte and maybe even some Aircraft Interior black and perhaps an inconsistent mist coat of black/green (more on the bottom) to attempt to alleviate the monochrome finish.

Stay tuned!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll
Fixed some text.

So am still waiting to hear back from Alliance Modelworks - the folks who make the prop blur on which of their product is large enough to fit a Catalina.  I may have to go with a prop that is 10% too small.

In the meantime - I"m not using most of the landing gear (nose esp) or the radome atop the cockpit, or the props, if anyone needs them.  Happy to drop them into the post. 

Hate waiting!  Just want to get this one done...

Chris

On 8/9/2018 at 7:31 PM, CANicoll said:

Also did some work on the exhausts and starting to do some weathering using MIG's Neutral Wash - which is a lighter gray.  Again, period photos indicate a lighter shading to the exhaust stains. 

RR4t0s.jpg

I did use some 8000 grit wet sand paper trying to vary the black finish - but that did not work very well.  Also tried various black washes, and yes, you guess it, they blended right in.  Mmmm... going to hit it with another coat of clear flat and then may look at using some semi-matte and maybe even some Aircraft Interior black and perhaps an inconsistent mist coat of black/green (more on the bottom) to attempt to alleviate the monochrome finish.

Some thoughts, mainly questions to ponder: are those exhaust stains more of a lighter shade or a more reflective shiny surface? How much oil is in those exhaust stains? Would that area be both greyer and a mite glossier?
In that image there isn't as much tonal difference between metal and fabric skinned areas as in my mental image.

Trying to think back to my years of painting all black diesel locomotives for some ideas.

And then my brain cross references that with the Prismacolor colored pencils with their greys in warm greys and cold greys.

Perhaps with the washes a thing to do might be to create cold black and warm black; cold black with a bit of blue mixed in, and warm black with a bit of tan mixed in. Yellow and black often make green. 

Okay, found the image from last year and got it uploaded.

Here's a HO scale passenger car roof done with various blacks and showing the paint bottles. Car belongs to member in our club and he wanted me to reletter and weather the car.

EBF is Engine Black, a color which Acryl has picked up from discontinued PollyScale line; also visible is their rather grey Grimy Black; there is also Stream Power Black, and each is a bit different.

Maybe some ideas there? 

42194006820_ab02f52364.jpg

Joel and Peter - thanks!  I'm hoping to get a response here pretty soon.  This is the second time I've written them - the first time I did not get a response to.

Sothwestforests - interesting on the different color blacks.  I think I may stick with the MIG Neutral wash - but probably won't do a lot more  with it.  I don't want them as stark as in the picture, so going with a different shade of black is appealing. Hmmm

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for all of the radio silence.  A combination of weekends getting busy, trying to get my WWI builds (all three plus the rigging for the WNW DH 9a) moving forward and not a great response from Prop Blur on a properly sized prop for the build (basically - "well - you have to measure and see if it fits"... NOT helpful).

SO, I did peel off the plastic covers (oops) from the prop-blur but that gave me a second chance at painting the props.  I did take Southwestforests' advice and NOT use a straight black.  Instead used the Luftwaffe Black Grey (which I also use for tires and other rubber bits) and I think it looks much better.  Thanks!!

I do like the effect of the spinning props - these are sized for a F3F so are about 10% undersized compared to what they should be.  I omitted the yellow tips - like I've seen on a number of period pics:

EkQqI3.jpg

Here you go - apologies for the over exposed pics.

jb4pxQ.jpg

Even in 1/72 this is still a big bird...

KwzhGM.jpg

YxQtW0.jpg

fZoz0X.jpg

After painting the individual 'props' I then did an overspray of the entire prop-blur to cover the bare metal.  Seems to look ok to me.  I did paint both the front and back the same.

Comments welcomed!

Chris

• 2 years later...