1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36 Apache ''Piggy III''

Good morning guys, it's high time i posted something here. So i am back with a model i cope for some time now. But before i post my work i would like to thank my good Christian, who is always eager to help me when i ask.
The kit is known to everyone 1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36
xImmjhL.jpg
The aftermarkets....
StwbYCbm.jpg
i6axi8Tm.jpg
YsgXlOtm.jpg
U1qJB3Hm.jpg
fH7IN6xm.jpg

As well as modex masks for ''Piggy III''

the actual Piggy...

zuo7iF0m.jpg

2WIhBJpm.jpg

3YCxLQcm.jpg

WnDQP3Jm.jpg

X7B7MlSm.jpg

nAeJI9Tm.jpg

As always i begun my work from the cockpit which for this kit was wrong as Acc. Min. is based on the surviving XP-51 which was a heavily modified Mustang Mk.I, not good for the A-36. So i shaved everything out and build a new one from items from the part fret and plastic...

gPO3ghfl.jpg

zDm3qTgl.jpg

u2k9yeNl.jpg

Painted, and weathered...

RMjx6a4l.jpg

0U7nbq2l.jpg

hWcixiOl.jpg

EmNRprrl.jpg

UXk2Axjl.jpg

DD8SpUWl.jpg

Next, landing gear legs...

jQnWic5l.jpg

IEa94Gql.jpg

4tdCoMOl.jpg

vqXAtFal.jpg

ir29xmhl.jpg

ERlHRVRl.jpg

Then i glued plastic strips below the dive brakes and also glued the guns before i close the wings, i test fitted and i found it difficult to put them afterwards (sorry no image of the guns!)

QIAOiV6l.jpg

fPkK1IHl.jpg

0h1yMqxl.jpg

The small heat shrinking tubes you see on the guns is to protect them!

Edited by zaxos345

Next i dealt with the landing lights, i closed the gap with epoxy putty, i used drills to depict the light holes, i paint them glossy black, next chrome silver, all black surrounding, next i covered them with the clear part, sanding polishing and finally masking for the paint. I forgot to take pics of all the procedure 😃 

G1RwlYhl.jpg

VkkzTgjl.jpg

lwOkxGul.jpg

FRqxDbXl.jpg

I have seen many building the A-36 model but forget to put the recognition light to the right place under the fuselage and not below the wing, so i removed them from the wing and placed them to the right place. Unfortunately i also dont have pics of all the procedure. I drilled the holes under the fuselage, painted them gloss black, chrome silver put a drop of epoxy glue on them and afterwards i panted them with the clear colors!!

LG7n1ccl.jpg

13HCwhdl.jpg

K6DF3Spl.jpg

it was time to glue the cockpit parts and close the fuselage...
kSpIfQxl.jpg

7d2hcxHl.jpg

Cuilji9l.jpg

7RBF0jYl.jpg

pYfitDml.jpg

sIWa71Zl.jpg

Edited by zaxos345

I attached the wings and treat the small gaps with tamiya putty thinned with leveling thinners

BwM8UaLl.jpg

0OfQrfbl.jpg

Mzvy3cfl.jpg

byiYSl4l.jpg

next it was time for the wind screen and canopy...I separated the vacform canopy, glued some part items for detail, masked then inside and outside and painted them. It was a PITA but i think it worth the pain  :)  :) I also prepared the quickboost gun sight!

Y29B9Dfl.jpg

hHW0MF3l.jpg

tLhOjIQl.jpg

oOV6wvvl.jpg

fi5XsAxl.jpg

6qnjY0ql.jpg

KBhhDxwl.jpg

PFmMYwil.jpg

Finnaly, i painted the  inner windshield frame with Bronze Green i added the gunsight, the seat and the windshield which is painted only from the inside...

opPoEGbl.jpg

5Q6jvj8l.jpg

rHaglLQl.jpg

jTksVAZl.jpg

y5ahsbLl.jpg

5aolqQAl.jpg

I glued the windshield with cyano glue, and left it to rest, i have to close the small gaps. I am thinking to use milliput for that...
That's all for now my friends....to be continued..,
Hope you like it, please feel free to comment whatevet you want!!

Regards,
John

Edited by zaxos345
  • 2 weeks later...

Good evening guys, a little update on Miss ''Piggy III''  :)  :) 
I needed to putty the windscreen, for that i used miliput, the white one, i think is called fine. I trimmed it with water in order to have as less sanding as possible! 
After that, as i had blurred the windscreen with the sanding, i brushed some fresh future and everything dissappeared!

IIVgE14.jpg

0Fd8FK4.jpg

Letting the puttied windscreen to cure, i dealt with the bombs. I dissolved some tamiya putty with leveling thinner and applied it with a brush over the body of the bombs to simulate the rough texture of it, then i painted them!

BenTBnB.jpg

f0igJ6F.jpg

Tr3gWdW.jpg

It was not my plan to rivet her but it seemed too plain to my eyes, so...i riveted her, i think that the outcome is much better!!!

SHhROHt.jpg

676tqmE.jpg

YINWXPa.jpg

fmKS7nJ.jpg

gJBTOpe.jpg

Next step, an overall inspection, cleaning and preparing her for the colors!! But she has to wait to come back from my short vacations.

Thanks for your interest,

John

Edited by zaxos345

John,

I also just found your build, and I'm truly amazed at your knowledge, and detailing skills to create your exceptional P-36A.   it's quite a treat to follow along and learn from a true master.

Joel

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, zaxos345 said:

SHhROHt.jpg

Hi John, good to see you back in ‘action’, even if it’s not the A-7H :rolleyes:. Is this to get you back into the swing of things? Cockpit and MG bays looking great.

A very minor point if I may regarding the dive brakes. Not so obvious in the dark grey plastic, but when painted will it become so? The lengthways scribing to the back edges is a continuous line, rather than breaking for the ‘hinging arms’.

Regards

John

On 8/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, John Wolstenholme said:

Hi John, good to see you back in ‘action’, even if it’s not the A-7H :rolleyes:. Is this to get you back into the swing of things? Cockpit and MG bays looking great.

A very minor point if I may regarding the dive brakes. Not so obvious in the dark grey plastic, but when painted will it become so? The lengthways scribing to the back edges is a continuous line, rather than breaking for the ‘hinging arms’.

Regards

John

Good morning John,

Thanks for dropping by, yes, you guessed right, this build is to get me back into the swing!! haha

Now of course you may point out anything you want, i don't post my work for applause:rolleyes:

But i dont really understand what exactly you mean regarding the scribing to the back edges of the dive brakes...

This is the blueprint i used for reference...is there something i dont see???

Capture.JPG

On 8/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, K5054NZ said:

Beautiful work John, I'm sorry I'm so late to the party. I love the work you did in the cockpit!

Thank you very much Zac for the nice words and your interest!!

John

On 8/10/2018 at 10:55 PM, Joel_W said:

John,

I also just found your build, and I'm truly amazed at your knowledge, and detailing skills to create your exceptional P-36A.   it's quite a treat to follow along and learn from a true master.

Joel

Thank you very much Joel, i don't consider myself a ''master''  but i really appreciate your words!!!

John

17 minutes ago, John Wolstenholme said:

Hello John. I suppose noticing the dive brakes with the long extension arms to the underside of the wing caught my attention, which then made me look at the top side. 

Regards

John

Thank you very much John!!

Great job so far. I am intrigued by the use of DDG for the instrument panel shroud. Was it only the early versions that had this, or was it all P-51's? I have read somewhere else that P-51's had green shrouds.

-----------------------

36 minutes ago, barkin mad said:

Great job so far. I am intrigued by the use of DDG for the instrument panel shroud. Was it only the early versions that had this, or was it all P-51's? I have read somewhere else that P-51's had green shrouds.

-----------------------

Actually the color is Mr. paint bronze green, it shows lighter under the flash... but it should be a bit darker. The Erection manual for the A-36 calls for the antiglare shroud for flat bronze green no9. thats why i chose this color!!

John

• 5 weeks later...

Good evening lads,

A little progress on ''Piggy III'' and is was time to put some paint on her.

Mr. surfacer 1500 black....

HVzo6Esl.jpg

First i dealt with the propeller random....

PyfFzFgl.jpg

After that it was time for the underside mrpaint Neutral grey 43....

s1s8Kvkl.jpg

MDoWHnUl.jpg

Efitzxbl.jpg

...AK extreme metal aluminium first on the upper side, for chipping purposes, followed by AK work effects fluid...

HbACGWKl.jpg

fkuY48Il.jpg

yBNQ93Sl.jpg

And after that, different shades of mrpaint olive drab 41 followed by chipping with a toothpick and/or a small stiff brush...I am going to lower the contrast of the aluminium...i think now, that it is not the best color for this job...any suggestions??

plsOacvl.jpg

Or57Je3l.jpg

Eu6RKazl.jpg

fHegHtwl.jpg

After that it was time for the yellow wing bands and the code munbers. A lot and patient masking to achive that...As you can see i photocopied the insignia in order to place the montex masks accurately...and yes i am very happy with the result!! The yellow is the chrome yellow paint from my favorite enamel paints, white ensign!

C8xwrowl.jpg

Jw2f1Kcl.jpg

APGwHAVl.jpg

F6qBOOsl.jpg

amtzVcel.jpg

vCkTLyLl.jpg

C1WtzNxl.jpg

I have a lot of work ahead with the weathering mostly, but so far so good i think!!!

Hope you like it,

John

Edited by zaxos345
1 hour ago, Mr.Happy said:

Zaxos345,

Great work ‼️

You gatta love the early Mustang outline 😍

This is shaping up to be a awesome model and no doubt you’ll win with this at your next contest.

Keep us updated ,

Mr. Happy (In name only)

Thanks Mr. Happy!!!