1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36 Apache ''Piggy III''

On 9/18/2018 at 9:13 PM, Joel_W said:

Outstanding progress for sure. 

You camo paint scheme and chipping really looks quite good. if you're worried about the brightness of the Aluminum, the weathering will knock that down quite a bit. 

Joel

Thanks Joel!!!!

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, zaxos345 said:

so far so good i think.

More than good I think, it’s all coming together very nicely indeed.  :thumbsup:

The eyes are immediately drawn to the unusual ‘staggered’ yellow band on the port wing, but I see you’ve picked up on this detail from the B&W photos. Is this peculiar to this squadron or pilot do you know?

John.

5 hours ago, John Wolstenholme said:

Is this peculiar to this squadron or pilot do you know?

Good evening John, I think that sometime they changed the flap of the port wing and put one from another aircraft, that is why the yellow band on the flap is offset!! 

John

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning gents, a little progress with ''Piggy III''...
I painted the white line on the vertical stabilizer as well as the ''P'' on both sides trying to replicate the brush leftovers.

b5z5BdXl.jpg
vZwKXjHl.jpg
avertrvl.jpg
5TTH6E1l.jpg

In this image you can notice some small maps i added in the cockpit and in the map case and a small family picture on the instruments panel...

qHJa3nol.jpg
Lsjn1Fal.jpg
ip4dnUJl.jpg

Gloss varnish, my trusty Tamiya X-22, decals, and gloss varnish again to seal everything. The detail decals are from montex, absolutely beautiful and extremely thin ones, and the insignia from fundekals, also top notch quality from cartograph!! I also assembled the spinner with the propeller, it isn't glued yet, only there for the photoes...

OveWL1tl.jpg
EMlw9DIl.jpg
w4kEQvbl.jpg
hRzTqNAl.jpg

Nest step, wash, seal everything with semi gloss varnish, color modulation with oils and general weathering...
Thanks for watching,

John

Edited by zaxos345
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning gents, a little update for miss ''PIGGY III''. I am almost at the end of the project!
After the gloss i started with the wash....i tried to use different wash shades...in order not to get a uniform one...

ByYM9oEl.jpg

HrN9GRjl.jpg

90DWyvYl.jpg

After this stage i sprayed a semi matt varnish, to seal everything and i started the weathering process using only oils, (dry brush, dot filters...etc.)

Go4NBTil.jpg

9bX59m8l.jpg

7ng5G0Vl.jpg

zcEGbjpl.jpg

GHoWgU4l.jpg

1cCRXXEl.jpg

PS9b7v6l.jpg

I placed the exhausts and dealt with the exhaust stains, only oils here too..

mRSDOhWl.jpg

1i4OQkil.jpg

PoiN3Ynl.jpg

VJdLkAHl.jpg

vNJqzv0l.jpg

As you can see i unmasked the windscreenand i put the landing gear...dont know for you but for me to place the landing on a P-51 correctly is a bit tricky!!

vNJqzv0l.jpg

jCWM76Ml.jpg

kIpzgpBl.jpg

xn4Nkb4l.jpg

C2e9USMl.jpg

Eay9U9vl.jpg

g15y7vzl.jpg

13BA0xwl.jpg

Fr50hjbl.jpg

hsQF8xJl.jpg

UiNCINzl.jpg

Things to do...glue the propeller (is placed only for photos), place the antenna and the pitot tube (i ordered an aftermarket one from master barrels, as the one the kit provides i dont like it) and glue the vac canopy parts...this is doing to be tricky too!!!!
That's all for now, next update will be the last one, hope you like it!!

John

Edited by zaxos345

John,

What a great update!!

Your weathering skills using multiple layers and techniques has produced a model that shows a well worn operational aircraft, yet hasn't been taken so far as to look like it's well past it's reliable service ceiling.  I'm certainly looking forward to your next and most likely last update.

Joel

2 hours ago, EagleAviation said:

Outstanding work John! Are you bringing that at the Athens model show this weekend? 

Thanks John, unfortunately i wont be able to be there!!! Still at dispatch!!!

John

• 1 month later...

Good evening gents. I finally managed to finish this ''girl'' and I give you some pics of her(taking photos is not my strong point!!)
I would like to thank you for your company and especially Christian for the info he provided to me!!!
Mery holly days and health and happiness to all!!
John

S5ph4sel.jpg
KGn4id4l.jpg
vktIZBsl.jpg
v8yyImyl.jpg
lAUiC4al.jpg
kFueH1Wl.jpg
pO9WdtWl.jpg
RucnQhMl.jpg
q4IrrJal.jpg
tMQg4k9l.jpg
MCTYNHKl.jpg