1/24 GEMINI 9A part 2

Vielen Dank ralf !

I decided to detail the Ejection Seats anyway, even though only one may fit properly.

This is the Survival Kit being drilled out to indicate grommets.

2v2Jqbw5rxAnAAS.jpg

The scratch building aspect of this hobby is where I get my fun.

Here, I'm carving the Lumbar support for the upper seat cushion.

2v2JqbwyNxAnAAS.jpg

The upper seat cushion with Lumbar supports glued and filler applied. I've also added some 'cushioning' to the upper Ejection Seat.

2v2JqbwNjxAnAAS.jpg

Here's the real seat ...

2v2JqbfpCxAnAAS.jpg

I also soldered the joints ... and while it sure isn't pretty, it'll work for me. I'll file and Dremel the excess to smooth.

2v2JqbwzyxAnAAS.jpg

Thinking that the poor fit issues were my fault, I decided to place the seats in position again ... and they fit a little better. Tight, but manageable.

2v2Jqbw8zxAnAAS.jpg

In the instructions it states that in final assembly, the top of the seat should be 0.5 mm from the top of the seat rail.

This is the position I had in the dry fitting ... it's about 3 mm from the top of the seat to the top of the seat rail.

2v2JqbwjMxAnAAS.jpg

And this is the 'correct' position. The seats fit much better ... still tight ... but they fit.

2v2Jqbwr8xAnAAS.jpg

I'm happy it was my screw up and not LVM's! But nothing was glued in so, no harm done.

There's still some detailing to do before I can assemble the entire interior ... but I'm a happy man ... again!

Pete

I am glad that you've overcome the fit issues. I also have the LMV set in my stash so I am very interested how it turns out. I really like the combination of scratch building and aftermarket on your build.

Cheers Ralf

Thanx ralf!

Manfred, it isn't frustrating at all ... this is my fun! I'm quite enjoying this build!

I use sketches to visualize various aspects of the model and here, in the upper Left you can see how I think I'll have the seated Astronaut positioned. 

In the lower Right corner, is an indication as to how the Astronaut on EVA will be posed. The larger sketches are just me figuring out the position of the arms for the EVA Astro.

2v2Jq7M25xAnAAS.jpg

So I had to cut off one of his arms ...

2v2Jq78hCxAnAAS.jpg

And to fill the awful seams I use bits of styrene and later file and sand.

2v2Jq78kLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jq787MxAnAAS.jpg

I built this Hinge Support and it will also act as a reinforcement for the PE hinge. I also added more details to the Hatch ...

2v2Jq78BNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jq78VdxAnAAS.jpg

The seats are almost done. I still need to add Seat Belts and Lap Belts, but it's close ...

2v2Jq78gWxAnAAS.jpg

The large loops are the "D" ring for the Ejection Seats and the smaller ones are arm restraints made from thick Copper wire.

2v2Jq78MFxAnAAS.jpg

The Ejections Seats, in order to fit into the crew compartment, need a little more room. So I had to cut out portions of the side walls. They'll get partially covered up with the equipment that attaches to the walls.

2v2Jq78mnxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jq78NWxAnAAS.jpg

You can see that the interference was only a couple of millimetres, but it's enough to be too tight a fit.

2v2Jq78qFxAnAAS.jpg

There's still a lot to do on the Interior ... the Instrument Panel, Consoles, Side wall details ... this'll keep me busy for awhile longer!

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

Drifterdon ... thanx very much!  :thumbsup:

I ran across a fellow modeller's build blog on this same model and he ran into the same fit issues with these Ejection Seats. I also took some inspiration from his build. Thanx Wayne!

Rather than use the PE's 2D '8-ball', I'll use a small sphere to replace it. But I have to drill out an allowance for 'em.

2v2JqzySnxAnAAS.jpg

After deciding on the pose of the seated Astro, I needed to decapitate him to turn his head a few degrees

2v2JqzyPFxAnAAS.jpg

and patched the gaps with .005 styrene scraps

2v2JqzykdxAnAAS.jpg

Another piece of equipment needed to be built from scratch and installed

2v2JqzyVqxAnAAS.jpg

The centre console needed some accurizing ... this piece will sit on top of the console.

2v2JqzyTGxAnAAS.jpg

This cockpit is taking a lot of time to complete.

The Centre Console needed some support and the building and test fitting and tear down and sand and test fit is ... well, the name of the game at this stage ...

2v2JqzymWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Jqzy4NxAnAAS.jpg

But it is coming together ... and ... it's getting pretty heavy ... 

2v2JqzyiyxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JqzyD5xAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for the visit!

Pete

Thanx Slartibartfast and Brett M ... !

While waiting for a set of Micro Drill Bits to be delivered, I thought I'd rebuild the Astros ...

I'll use Milliput to fill all the holes ... and yes, it's out of focus, a bit ... the seated Astro and the EVA Astro's torso.

2v2JFF7uNxAnAAS.jpg

The shoes on the EVA Astro needed to be built up a bit. A piece of .040" styrene, for the soles, will be trimmed and Milliput will be used to sculpt the boots

2v2JFF7vHxAnAAS.jpg

The EVA Astro in parts ...

2v2JFF7UyxAnAAS.jpg

Cutting off the end of an arm for a better fit to the torso ...

2v2JFF7EjxAnAAS.jpg

And with the initial blocking-in phase of Milliput. This will all get filed and sanded ...

2v2JFF7JrxAnAAS.jpg

It sure isn't pretty, but it'll work just fine!

2v2JFF72JxAnAAS.jpg

The hand controller was carved out of a piece of sprue ...

2v2JFFYj3xAnAAS.jpg

2v2JFFYr2xAnAAS.jpg

I also wanted to try carving a hand out of styrene too ... this may just work too! But ... oh, my poor eyes!

2v2JFFYNoxAnAAS.jpg

A Reference image of Capt Gene Cernan training. The ELSS will have to be built too ... this won't be the pose for my figure but it's a good reference.

2v2JFF7ezxAnAAS.jpg

I'm really enjoying the old school aspect of this build. Carving, sculpting, rebuilding ... by hand ... ah-h-h ... this is fun!

till next posting

Pete

While waiting for some Micro Drill Bits to be delivered, I started re-building the EVA Astro ... so I carved another hand out of styrene.

I also got the ELSS Chest Pak started.

2v2JdFQYrxAnAAS.jpg

I added the extensions as these are gloves ...

2v2JdFQ4NxAnAAS.jpg

Carving and Filing the excess Milliput

2v2JdFQVqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JdFQTjxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JdFQmrxAnAAS.jpg

Attached the gloves and filled the gap with styrene scraps and Tamiya putty ...

2v2JdFQiyxAnAAS.jpg

And filed the joint ... this little guy is coming together nicely!

2v2JdFQkdxAnAAS.jpg

The Micro Dill bits finally arrived and I figured I could drill out all the holes for the switches and stuff but ... these bits ... were ... all ... dull.

The finer bits, which are the ones I need, 0.3 mmm specifically, won't even drill through 0.010" styrene ... shucks, shucks and shucks!

2v2JdFQ7GxAnAAS.jpg

Before I bought 'em off of Amazon, I read a lot of reviews on a bunch of different sets and these were all positive ... I guess I'll have to search for another set now ...

Thanx for taking a peek

Pete

Looking GREAT Pete. the figure sculpting skills are looking good. Keep it up.

As for the drill bits, believe it or not Harbor Freight has a pretty decent set of micro drill bits that work pretty good in a hand held pin vice IF you go REALLY slow and careful. i've bought a few of these sets for my Star Destroyer windows and they've worked pretty well. They are easy to break the smaller sizes, but that's going to be pretty much any brand.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-Pc-Carbide-Rotary-Micro-Bit-Assorted-Set-62379.html

Bill

Thanx Bill!

Their website doesn't specify bit sizes ... can you tell me what the smallest sizes are? Are they in inches or millimetres? I'm looking for 0.3 mm

And I've used these little micro drill bits many, many times and have 3 or 4 sets, but as you say, the smallest ones snap pretty easily ... hence the need for some more!

Thanx Bill

Pete

Unfortunately there isn't any clear answer to their sizes. Some are marked, some are not and I think each set has a different assortment. Since I wasn't using for precise sized hole, only REALLY small being my range, I picked up a few sets. I can look on my sets and see if any are marked as .3mm and let you know what color the collar is on it. Although I've read that even the color coding on these things is not consistent either. But it's cheap Chinese tools, kind of expected.

Bill

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Unfortunately there isn't any clear answer to their sizes. Some are marked, some are not and I think each set has a different assortment. Since I wasn't using for precise sized hole, only REALLY small being my range, I picked up a few sets. I can look on my sets and see if any are marked as .3mm and let you know what color the collar is on it. Although I've read that even the color coding on these things is not consistent either. But it's cheap Chinese tools, kind of expected.

Pick up a digital caliper while you're there, handy for measuring lots of stuff - including drill bit diameters....

Don't forget your 20% off coupon !!!

Thanx Drifterdon ! I'm quite enjoying the old school, doing-it-by-hand aspect of this build.

I got started on the last 'major' subassembly, the AMU, which will be tucked into the aft Adapter section. So I shan't be detailing the bejeebers out of it.

2v2JyDfPCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfcVxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfBDxAnAAS.jpg

... used some Milliput to replicate the 'cushion'.

2v2JyDfYTxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfRVxAnAAS.jpg

... a Reference image ...

2v2JyDfD4xAnAAS.jpg

I also did the ELSS and ... reference material was sparse ... but there, on Sven Knudsen's website was more than I could use! Thanx Sven!   :worship:

2v2JyDfkLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2JyDfigxAnAAS.jpg

I've got to order another set of better quality Micro Drill bits so this build will be on hold until I get 'em in hand ...

Thanx for taking a peek gents!

Pete

On 8/27/2018 at 9:55 AM, niart17 said:

As for the drill bits, believe it or not Harbor Freight has a pretty decent set of micro drill bits that work pretty good in a hand held pin vice IF you go REALLY slow and careful. i've bought a few of these sets for my Star Destroyer windows and they've worked pretty well. They are easy to break the smaller sizes, but that's going to be pretty much any brand.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-Pc-Carbide-Rotary-Micro-Bit-Assorted-Set-62379.html

I picked up a set of these today, two each of ten different sizes, from 1.15mm (0.0455") down to 0.20mm (0.0075") These sizes were measured with a Harbor Freight digital caliper.   Bill's right, the smaller bits are fragile, I broke one just measuring it.

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this build ... it took a good month to get some .3 mm drill bits that could actually cut and then, this Diabetic Senior citizen got a cold and even something as simple as a Cold knocks me outta commission ... but all's good now, so I'll be continuing on this project till completion.

The bits I finally received were from UMM USA. I had previously bought 3 different sets and they were all garbage ... UMM is run by John Vojtech ... I remembered his name due to a B-2 build he did back in 2006 IIRC and it was gor-r-rgeous! 

So, I'll be back on this build till completion!

Pete

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile eh?

I haven't even visited ARC in 2 months let alone work on this build ... and the "Life gets in the way" bit is this. In mid October my centre of vision went blank in my Left Eye. I couldn't read words, my depth of field was poor, judging car distances was uncomfortable and modelling? I couldn't see what I was doing. Seeing details was ... just ... not ... possible.

After 3 weeks of assuming it would go away ... but didn't, I called my Ophthalmologist and he took a 3D cross section image and my Macula's pocket shape in the Retina was ... gone. It was a mountain instead of a divot.

Hey Doc, will anything help? Yes, says he, a Needle in the Eyeball! Actually a series of Needles in the Eyeball. Can you guess my initial reaction to this 'treatment'? I was Gobsmacked! 

So I started with that 'treatment' last Monday. The long shot is that he thinks my eyesight, in BOTH eyes, will go bye-bye by this time next year. :bandhead2:

Needless to say, my mind hasn't been on modelling ... but, here I am, I'm gonna try to complete this build, for the Group Build at the end of December, and two others on my bench, and I'm getting comfortable using one good eye and hoping to see some improvement in the Left one.

Am I worried? I sure was, but now after a few weeks of wallowing in my own puddle of self pity, I figure, "let's get on with it. Deal with it Big Guy!"

Okay, let me show what I've been up to in the just the last 2 days ...

But before the build, back in mid-October, an Astronaut from Apollo 16 came to speak in Niagara Falls Canada and I just HAD to go try to meet him ... here's Brig Gen Charlie Duke and me holding my Apollo 16 diorama ... you guys can NOT imagine the treat this was!  :yahoo:  I truly felt like a little kid, excited? You bet!

2v2EuMYYhxAnAAS.jpg

Okay, enough of this stuff ... 

i've only been at the bench for the last 2 days and feel like I'm getting back in the groove.

I made the Oxygen Hoses ...

2v2EuMYVDxAnAAS.jpg

... and dry fit the install ...

2v2EuMYSixAnAAS.jpg

I'm also trying to figure out a way to make the Helmet's visor ... I tried a little Milliput which I'll have to carve and shape and a fuel Tank half, but these don't work well ... I'll have to give it some more thought.

2v2EuMYh4xAnAAS.jpg

I may try to just fill the Astro's face with Milliput and sand away all the excess ... we shall see ...

2v2EuMYmhxAnAAS.jpg

I'm gonna try to complete this build for the GB but I just have a lot of details to do, but I should be able to handle it ... 

till next posting 

Pete

Wow, that is so sad to hear, Pete.   I'm not sure how I'd react were I in your shoes.   And I thought I'm unlucky because of my blurring vision and reading glasses.   Losing vision in one eye is bad enough -- I'd find it impossible to drive without any sense of depth, but to hear something like that from the doctor would send my world crashing down.    Really hoping he's wrong.   Great photo with Charlie Duke, by the way!!  And great scratchwork on your Gemini so far!

Hi Pete,

what a shattering revelation, which is difficult to believe, :hmmm: and it would be even harder to have to term with it ... Awesome that you don't let get discouraged and keep going on. up045518.gif

But do not just listen to the diagnosis of a single doctor, but get other expertises. I'll pray to God that he may help you. pray.gif

My mother has always said to me when I was a little boy, if you think it won't keep going on, then somewhere a little light will come ago ... gut.gif 

It was only a small consolation, but it often has helped too ... 

I can fully understand your huge joy about your meeting with Charles Duke. What a great moment!!! top.gif

BTW, similar happiness feelings my friend Scott "Shuttleman" Phillips must had felt, when his moon displays were signed by Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17) on the occasion of the 30th Anniversary of Apollo 17smiley250.gif

32968148_10156572973444171_8521366903703

Source: Scott G. Phillips

33061417_10156572975589171_2862171695022604288_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=7519b4ec1035a6670e8e54c390ec3542&oe=5C768779

Source: Scott G. Phillips

BTW, the surface is made from Space Shuttle External Tank SOFI insulation foam painted silver!!! analintruder.gif

Thanx Vern ... but this is life ... eh?

Thanx cj ... and Manfred, this is a complication due directly to Diabetes ... in theory, I was expecting this, but not this soon ... maybe when I'm 85 years old!  :whistle:

And after reading about Scott's book on your thread, I bought it as well ... it was a good read!

I found my 'punch list' ... man, there's a lot left to do on this build!

2v2EJJgfhxAnAAS.jpg

Back in October, I gave the Adapter section a few coats of White Primer ... still some touch ups to take care of.

2v2EJJg6gxAnAAS.jpg

Getting ready to add some details to the crew cabin, I scribed some lines to represent the quilting on the side walls

2v2EJJgtWxAnAAS.jpg

Added some styrene backing to the PE for some support

2v2EJJgcSxAnAAS.jpg

Drilling a lot of holes for the switches. I was not looking forward to this time-consuming task, but it only took an hour or so.

2v2EJJgpTxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EJJgBLxAnAAS.jpg

And almost done. I'll trim and sand later to an even length

2v2EJJg1mxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx Gents for taking a peek!

Pete