1/24 GEMINI 9A part 2

Vincent, ralf and 11bee, Thanks very much for your words of encouragement Gents, but, this is just life's sense of humour. We all have these types of challenges and we just have to deal with them. Really, it could be worse!  :rolleyes:

The AMU was detailed and painted and the detailing was limited because it'll just get tucked into the aft Adapter section ...

2v2EE2hQMxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EE2hZ8xAnAAS.jpg

The interior walls need some decorating ...

2v2EE2hKdxAnAAS.jpg

The Ejection Seats need some seat belts. They are made from First Aid tape and the buckles are styrene channel.

2v2EE2hbFxAnAAS.jpg

And because this model will portray a weightless environment, the seat belts need to look weightless too. The First Aid tape was wet down with CA glue and held in place overnight.

2v2EE2hA8xAnAAS.jpg

2v2EE2hBMxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EE2htdxAnAAS.jpg

I need to see if the Ejections Seat are tight with the interior fitted out ...

2v2EE2hp5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2EE2hwrxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EE2h1yxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EE2h6zxAnAAS.jpg

I added just a little more detailing to this hatch. This one will be open, so it needs to have some items on it. The centre console also got a storage bag made from Aluminum foil and attached with CA. The 'blob' on the hatch is Milliput and represents a storage bag.

2v2EE2hfjxAnAAS.jpg

It may need some paint and final assembly of the crew cabin can happen ...

Thanx for looking in, Gents

Pete

Hey Pete,

Mate I'm gob smacked at your news. I can't imagine your situation. I wish you all the best, your works are fantastic. I always look forward to checking updates on here. You have been a great inspiration to me and my builds over the years, and I'm sure many others here. You invited me to this forum years ago, and I thank you heaps for bringing me into this group of great people, with awesome builds and talents on this awesome subject. 

I look forward to seeing this and I hope a few more builds completed. The amount of detail and scratch building you do is phenomenal. I have lost some motivation of late, with models. But I think this will give me the kick in the pants I need to get back to it. Thank you Pete

Congratulations on finally meeting a Moon walker, I recall your envy of me 😉. You do look very chuffed and happy, what did you talk about with him? What did he think of your work? We need more info on your meeting 😀

regards

Mick  

18 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Are the crew seats offset or is that because they aren't yet affixed?

They are angled/offset, like the real thing.

Amazing work Pete, and Kudos on your positive outlook !!!  :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Slart ... you got it ... they're just loosely fitted in there

habu2, thanx!

Ret ... I hope you're talking about the model ... :whistle:

I've been doing some minor stuff ...

The PE window frame from LVM needs some glass ...

2v2Ea45BLxAnAAS.jpg

For awhile I've been trying to figure out how to install a dome shape to represent the 8-ball ... but after doing a dry fit of the crew cabin and realizing that the 8-ball won't be seen too clearly decided to patch the holes and use a decal supplied by Revell when this kit was reissued in 2011 or 2012

2v2Ea45ehxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Ea45ETxAnAAS.jpg

The crew cabin dry fit ...

2v2Ea45bDxAnAAS.jpg

2v2Ea45K4xAnAAS.jpg

The kit's offering on the right and the AM version ...

2v2Ea45pTxAnAAS.jpg

I decided to make the visor for the Astronaut on EVA by vac-forming it. The last time, as well as the 1st time I did this, was in 2011 and I thought ... This'll be easy-y-y ...

The .020" styrene sheet in the frame with the 4 bucks on the vac plate.

2v2Ea45cSxAnAAS.jpg

Hm-m-m ... these should be perfect hemispheres ... 

2v2Ea45ACxAnAAS.jpg

2nd try ... okay, now I remember, I need to secure it ALL down ...

2v2Ea45wVxAnAAS.jpg

Hm-m-m ... I switched out the .020" with .010" and got this ... well, THIS isn't right ... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!  :bandhead2:     :explode:

2v2Ea45fhxAnAAS.jpg

Well, I ran out of styrene sheet and this was getting annoying enuff, that I needed to cease and desist anyway ...   :doh:

Till next posting

I hope we all have a Happy New Year and nothing but the best Health and Happiness for 2019 to you all!

Pete

Thanx Wombat!

While awaiting my package of styrene sheet, so I can fart around with vacu-forming, the Adapter got painted, Decalled and has a flat clear coat

2v2Eeb4NLxAnAAS.jpg

I've also been hesitant to glue in the Ejection Seats because I couldn't figure out a way. When they get installed, I don't want the instantaneous set of CA ... I needed a few seconds to adjust them in there. I thought of White Glue, just to tack 'em ... or applying Future to both parts, PE and Styrene, and adhere 'em that way. Then, while sound asleep, I came up with, glue in a strip of .005" styrene to the back of the PE Seat and use THAT to glue onto the styrene guide ... and it worked!

2v2EebmfyxAnAAS.jpg

So I glued in the seats and was so happy, almost excited, that I glued in the Instrument Panel too. Ah-h-h ... done, Finally!!

But in my rush, I forgot the Control Panel and the seated Astronaut ...

2v2EebGA5xAnAAS.jpg

... and had to use some debonder and disassemble the cockpit ... plus I need to detail the Astro too.

2v2EebmHFxAnAAS.jpg

I picked up some Metallic Gold plasticized 'foil' from Michael's and did a test on styrene using Rubber Cement and it seems to hold nicely ...

2v2EebmqFxAnAAS.jpg

I'll need to play with this a bit, but it's looking good.

2v2EebmtGxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for taking a peek gents!

Pete

Very fine work, Pete!   Beautiful scratchbuilding.   I'm rooting for you on that vacuforming stuff (I see you built your own machine - nice!)    I myself have issues about hitting just the right moment to start vacuuming.  I often fire away either before the plastic is hot enough and details don't show up -- or after it's started burning -- and my final product ends up being thin and brittle.   And I waste a lot of styrene sheets -- luckily there's a Plastics shop here (Plastic World) that sells styrene sheets in 4x8 plywood size so much less expensive than Evergreen.

Looking very nice, I couldn't get that detail on mine. A specially with all my other builds in the way. I will be going back to it some day. Your build is coming along great and will look fantastic mounted, I see the rod in preparation in the retro area. 😀

Great compliment, Pete, hi.gif

that's scratch-building at highest level. smiley250.gif

These tiny parts to handle, cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif is an absolute masterly performance, for which one needs a magic touch! top2.gif

I stay tuned, and keep it up ... popcorn.gif

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for the compliments ... but don't be shy to offer just a little criticism too!   :whistle:  :thumbsup:

What a schmozzle! This past session was a 1 step forward, 2 steps back effort ... and what kept entering my mind was "What a @$#&*! hobby!   :explode: 

But ... it's all good, right? ...... RIGHT??

To start, I bored out the holes for the RCS (Reaction Control System ) thrusters with my Dremel and the bit wandered and I didn't notice till I had bored all 16 holes ... after recovering my senses, I emailed Revell of Germany to see if I could order 2 more parts even though, this was not their fault, it was all mine. When I realized that even  if they would send me replacements, I had 2 weeks to complete this build and I had better build another RCS section from scratch ... ( I do NOT like using the Dremel on plastic, but since I had pilot holes already drilled, I made the assumption that the Dremel bit would just follow the pilot holes ... NOPE! )

2v2EeyMGLxAnAAS.jpg

So I got a piece of PVC and cut off a bit to rebuild my botched parts ...

2v2EeyzugxAnAAS.jpg

... filed a bevel on both ends to fit the kit parts ...

2v2EeyzHnxAnAAS.jpg

... taped the existing parts to the PVC to transfer landmarks ...

2v2EeyzwqxAnAAS.jpg

... transferred centrelines for the holes ...

2v2EeyziyxAnAAS.jpg

... and drilled 16 new holes ...

2v2EeyMngxAnAAS.jpg

After fighting for a couple days with the interior parts, it finally got all glued in.

2v2Eeyz3VxAnAAS.jpg

... and the seated Astronaut was detailed up and painted. He'll be just about invisible when the hatch is affixed.

2v2EeyMMWxAnAAS.jpg

With the Cockpit glued, I dry fit the hull and found a LOT of interference.

2v2EeyMqWxAnAAS.jpg

Now I need to see just where it's all being interfered with ... and did you notice the gaps? I love these 1960's kits! I really do!

2v2EeyMFGxAnAAS.jpg

One piece that needed filing was the overhead console, and then a window cove ...

2v2EeyMrCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EeyM5VxAnAAS.jpg

One unexpected interference was ... the Astronaut's feet. The hull just didn't have any clearance so, sorry Astro, gotta amputate!

2v2EeyMySxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EeyzGWxAnAAS.jpg

The blob to the left of the 'feet' is Milliput holding in a tube which will hold the umbilical line for the crew member on EVA.

But the hull fit nicely now ... I dreaded sawing off this bit only because I thought that it would loosen up the delicately glued in PE seats and I'd have to rebuild it all. But nope, it was all good! Whew!!

2v2EeyMdnxAnAAS.jpg

Now I could glue the hull's 3 pieces together and this is a milestone for this build, it should get done in the next 2 weeks.

Oh, and look at that gap ... I'll fill it with styrene scrap strips and file it down and then a little putty here and there ...

2v2EeyM8gxAnAAS.jpg

... what a %$#&*!! hobby!   :yahoo:

I can see the light at the end o' the tunnel ... some detailing, some filling and sanding, some paint and ... I hope I can git 'er done!

Thanx for taking peek gents!

Pete

6 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for the compliments ... but don't be shy to offer just a little criticism too!   :whistle:  :thumbsup:

What's there to criticize about Pete?   Top notch work all the way around.   :cheers:

10 hours ago, K2Pete said:

Criticism you say? ok, so you want criticism? Well you asked for it.

um....ah........that thumb fingernail! What is up with that? Looks like you trimmed it with a chain saw. I mean a proper manicure wouldn't be too much to ask for would it? And that lower foot amputation job? Wow, that's beyond painful. I bet you didn't even give the poor guy a sedative either did you? huh? huh?

Ok, that's all I got. Anyone else?

I ain't got nothing!

It's looking fantastic and it's great to see how you are bringing this all together as you are. A lot can be learned from a builds like this, the different techniques you use and how you approach things can be a benefit to many that follow along. 

Good to see that you can see that light at last.