ARC Discussion Forums
K2Pete

1/24 GEMINI 9A part 2

58 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

That's a tubing cutter.  Most hardware stores should have them.

Also called pipe cutters. Some are designed specifically for plastic pipe/tubing. 

Thanks guys, :worship:

what that is, I also know, more helpful would be a link to the provider, but I think, that Pete can help ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

This is what they look like Manfred ... and I bought these a few years ago at my local hardware store in the plumbing section.

This BIG one I use for larger diameter PVC piping, the middle one for both PVC and Copper piping ( if I need to repair some plumbing in the house ... ) and the little one for small diameter piping.

2v2EZHgrqxAnAAS.jpg

For those with a burning thirst for knowledge, tubing is specified by inside diameter while pipe is specified by outside diameter.  This won't make a difference when hunting for a cutter.  I used both the smallest and middle cutters in Pete's photo when I worked at a chemical plant.

Yes, and the MAIN rule of piping....I.D. MUST be smaller than O.D. and make sure the hole is inside the diameter on both ends.:woot.gif:

13 hours ago, K2Pete said:

This is what they look like Manfred ... and I bought these a few years ago at my local hardware store in the plumbing section.

This BIG one I use for larger diameter PVC piping, the middle one for both PVC and Copper piping ( if I need to repair some plumbing in the house ... ) and the little one for small diameter piping.

2v2EZHgrqxAnAAS.jpg

Thanks Pete for the nice Tool show ... :worship:

The thing one learns on this forum! ..... " ... tubing is specified by inside diameter while pipe is specified by outside diameter. " ... I did NOT know this!  :thumbsup:

Filled the BIG seam with styrene scraps ...

2v2EZHg5GxAnAAS.jpg

I've been battling a bad chest cold and tried breathing in Putty fumes to help clear it out ...

2v2EZHgyWxAnAAS.jpg

I bored out the RCS thruster holes in prep to install aluminum tubing to represent the thrusters themselves

2v2EQVq85xAnAAS.jpg

2v2EQLtodxAnAAS.jpg

But while inserting a tube or two I noticed that the holes I had just bored out were way-y-y- off ... What ... The ... Fudge? I still can't figure out how I did that.

And I had heard back from Revell of Germany that this item I asked them to replace was a cull item and could not be replaced, so I needed to build another RCS section from scratch ...

2v2EQLSGWxAnAAS.jpg

2 core circles from .040" styrene wrapped with a strip of .060" styrene and dipped in boiling water and bent

2v2EQLtBrxAnAAS.jpg

and clamped ...

2v2EQVFoGxAnAAS.jpg

While waiting for the clamping to cure, I added some washers that were sanded away  ...

2v2EQVqNFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2EQVqjyxAnAAS.jpg

... and a dry fit so far ... 

2v2EQVF2nxAnAAS.jpg

After the new RCS section is built, it's just cosmetic things left, gold foil in the Aft section, paint and decals ... and final assembly ... I should be able to complete this build in the next week or two.   :yahoo: and then participate in the 1st Moon Landing GB!

Thanx for looking in on this build gents!

Pete

Not much left of the original kit... great work. Can't wait to see it finished.