1/48 HobbyBoss FB-111A

This is the Hobbyboss FB-111A with Caracal 'Dark Vark' sheet. It's basically OOB with the exception of Squadron vacuform canopy and B-83's from Belcher bits 'modern Nukes' set. I also exchanged external tanks for two Revell A-10 tanks and acquired two SRAM's from several generous ARCers, (thanks again, boys!)

The kit windscreen is probably the most glaring problem so I added the vacuform canopy designed for the Academy kit. The windscreen needed to be faired in and blended over the course of several days but well worth the effort as it completely changes the look of the kit.

Other challenges included the bomb bay doors are completely wrong so check references. I was able to split the doors down the panel line to get them opened properly. The angle is still off a bit which looks like they are blocking the weapons from releasing freely but it was as good as I could get them without ruining the profile view of the doors.

Also, I used the kit decals for the cockpit and I wish I hadn't. I should have dry brushed and picked out dials and screens like normal but I figured Id try them. It just looks too toyish I think. I did add the blast curtains and grimes lights/map lights and outer canopy handles which turned out ok.

It's certainly not perfect and I feel small things could have been done better but all in all I'm happy with the outcome and represents well the aircraft I'd see fly over all the time when I was a kid.

FYI, since photographing the model I have moved the UHF antenna on the nose to the correct position near the tail skid and also removed the pilots side pitot tube.

57Borj.jpgEu93CI.jpggl88SW.jpgsb5Z27.jpgDMscme.jpgefKY6x.jpgOIU5OQ.jpgKEFrSU.jpgBcrBdf.jpg

Edited by Hooker169
Added pics w/ white background

Real nice. I've been considering getting a vacuum formed canopy for mine. Looks like it worked out very nice and sure improves to look of the model. Any tips on tackling the vacuum formed canopy?

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Real nice. I've been considering getting a vacuum formed canopy for mine. Looks like it worked out very nice and sure improves to look of the model. Any tips on tackling the vacuum formed canopy?

Since it was designed for the Academy kit the windscreen portion (after separating it from the doors) is slightly narrow at the bottom. I added a strip of styrene on each side at the base and pushed down on the windscreen to get it to spread slightly then carefully CA glued it. Then masked and spend two sessions fairing in the canopy to fuselage. 

The other area of emphasis would be the bump leading up to the front of the windscreen. It has to be knocked down considerably with a sanding stick to maintain a nice aerodynamic flow from the nose up to the windscreen, shown below circled.

The line is where I added the styrene strip to the inside of glare shield to spread the windscreen.

g6DMkV.jpg

That turned out real nice. Everybody says the kit is "unbuildable" but yours is another that shows that it can be built into a nice Aardvark. I have the HB F-111A and want to build it up as a early Edwards AFB test bird in gray over white. The squadron canopy does dress it up...I bought one for mine as well.

Cheers...Ron

1 hour ago, aircommando130 said:

That turned out real nice. Everybody says the kit is "unbuildable" but yours is another that shows that it can be built into a nice Aardvark. I have the HB F-111A and want to build it up as a early Edwards AFB test bird in gray over white. The squadron canopy does dress it up...I bought one for mine as well.

Cheers...Ron

Thanks Ron, the windscreen fix was a must for me. It took a couple days of fitting, filling and sanding and more filling and sanding but it completely changes the look of the whole kit.

Other less noticeable fixes which are needed are the TP II spike is too short, the main wheel rubber is slightly undersized for an FB (the hubs are pretty close though) and the bomb bay doors need fixing (I believe Mr. Vark has a fix posted on ARC somewhere)

Oh, the fore flaps are tapered incorrectly also.

But, I tend to agree, it’s far from being unbuildable but also far from shake n’ bake.

Very nice Vark build, Hooker!

It seems you've helped the Squadron vac-form stock shares rise their price as of late! :coolio: 

21 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

Oh, the fore flaps are tapered incorrectly also.

How have you fixed this issue?

Also, aren't the burner can rings wrong about having one opening missing? I thought one'd need to resort to Scaledown resin fixes.

Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Very nice Vark build, Hooker!

It seems you've helped the Squadron vac-form stock shares rise their price as of late! :coolio: 

How have you fixed this issue?

Also, aren't the burner can rings wrong about having one opening missing? I thought one'd need to resort to Scaledown resin fixes.

Thank you very much!

Thank you, Sir!

Unfortunatly the canopy prices have gone up it seems. Although I found one on eBay for $5 last month so jump on them when you can.

The fore flaps are fixable but it would’ve required more time than I was willing to invest. Basically you’d have to cut the flap tracks off (blue arrows), flip the fore flap around so the tappered end is outboard then reattach the flap tracks, then attach the main flaps. Below you can see how the fore flap is too wide at the tip, the wide end should be inboard not outboard which ultimately drops the outboard flaps way too much.

UFT1o3.jpg

As for the cans, Mr. Vark has an in-depth rundown of the various burner cans available. They essentially don’t exist on the HB kit, but if you have a creative imagination when looking up the tail pipes they are both wide open. One should be closed, similar to the F-14 on shutdown.

Edited by Hooker169
added picture

Nice work! Its good to see someone putting the extra effort into getting this kit to be a more accurate example of the F-111. Ive seen plenty do it with the Academy kit but not so much with this one. Though It still really highlights the gap in the market for a better kit of this iconic aircraft.

20 hours ago, B-ONE27 said:

Very very nice final product with your FB-111A...she came out looking gorgeous!! Im inspired to build mine now..what paints did you use as Im partial to Tamiya.

Thanks Bone!

Everything was Model Master enamels, then post shading, artist chalk wash and Future for decals. Testors Dullcoat was the final clear coat. Euro 1 gray, gunship gray and green drab, I actually stole the painting guide from the 1/72 Hasegawa FB kit as its the clearest I could find.

Edited by Hooker169
  • 1 month later...

Alrighty, since this is the place for critiques, i dont like the lack of weathering. Especially the nozzles and the landing gear look respectively black and white... Reminds me of some sort of the early builds when the model was ready after the first coat of paint 🙂 Of course, it looks definitely better than my first models, but i would weather it just a hint more, at least.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:41 PM, Hooker169 said:

Thank you, Sir!

Unfortunatly the canopy prices have gone up it seems. Although I found one on eBay for $5 last month so jump on them when you can.

The fore flaps are fixable but it would’ve required more time than I was willing to invest. Basically you’d have to cut the flap tracks off (blue arrows), flip the fore flap around so the tappered end is outboard then reattach the flap tracks, then attach the main flaps. Below you can see how the fore flap is too wide at the tip, the wide end should be inboard not outboard which ultimately drops the outboard flaps way too much.

UFT1o3.jpg

As for the cans, Mr. Vark has an in-depth rundown of the various burner cans available. They essentially don’t exist on the HB kit, but if you have a creative imagination when looking up the tail pipes they are both wide open. One should be closed, similar to the F-14 on shutdown.

I used OzMods burner cans for my academy, way back, and coupled them with exhaust tunnels from a hasegawa Tomcat (same engine I figured) since the OzMod burner rings and tunnel didn't look as crisp as I wanted.